There’s nothing higher than the primary weekend of NFL soccer and that is precisely what 99% of the nation acquired on Sunday. I say 99% as a result of I am not precisely certain what the Packers did qualifies as soccer so everybody in Wisconsin goes to have to attend one other week to witness an precise NFL sport.
The one upside for the Packers after their 38-3 loss is that they are nonetheless in first place within the NFC North and that is as a result of each crew in that division misplaced on Sunday. Usually, I would say 0-1 is a foul factor, however not in Detroit, as a result of THE LIONS ARE IN FIRST PLACE BABY. That is a sentence I positively did not assume I would sort out a single time this whole season, however right here we’re. Dan Campbell’s technique of biting off knee caps is already working.
Anyway, we have now lots to cowl immediately, so let’s get to the rundown.
As at all times, here is your weekly reminder to inform all your pals to enroll in the Choose Six e-newsletter. To get your pals to enroll, all it’s a must to do is click here and then share this link with them. Alright, let’s get to the rundown.
1. In the present day’s present: Week 1 winners and losers, plus full recap
It is Monday, which may solely imply one factor: I stayed up till 3 a.m. final night time recording a podcast with Will Brinson and Ryan Wilson that touched on every thing that you must find out about Week 1, and let me simply say, it is most likely for the very best that you simply hear. We coated all 14 video games from Sunday, which implies we probably spent a while speaking about your favourite crew.
One factor we do each week is hand out our weekly winners and losers from Sunday’s motion. For our winners this week, Wilson and Brinson went with chicken groups, however I spoiled our ornithological theme by going full homer.
- Winner: Cardinals. It wasn’t stunning that the Cardinals gained on Sunday, however the way in which they did it was stunning: They completely steamrolled the Titans and Chandler Jones did many of the steamrolling with 5 sacks of Ryan Tannehill. The one participant extra spectacular than Jones was Kyler Murray, who totaled 5 touchdowns.
- Loser: Browns. Nobody is worse at taking part in in NFL openers than the Browns and so they proved that on Sunday. After taking a 29-20 lead within the third quarter, the Browns completely melted down in all three phases of the sport. The protection gave up a 75-yard TD go to Tyreek Hill. The punter bobbled a snap that mainly gave Kansas Metropolis a free landing and the offense imploded over the ultimate 10 minutes of the fourth quarter with simply 37 yards and a Baker Mayfield interception that sealed the loss. The Browns are actually 0-16-1 in openers since Week 1 of the 2005 season.
- Winner: Eagles. New coach Nick Sirianni seems to be like he truly is aware of the best way to use Jalen Hurts at quarterback, which must be a scary thought for the remainder of the NFC East. Two days in the past, the Eagles had been a classy last-place decide within the division, however after one week, they appear like they may contend for the title.
- Loser: Packers. The award for many embarrassing lack of Week 1 positively goes to the Packers, who appeared like they forgot the best way to play soccer. The one comfort for the Packers is that the final time a crew misplaced 38-3 to the Saints, that crew went on to win the Super Bowl (The Saints beat the Buccaneers 38-3 final season).
- Winner: Bengals. Ja’marr Chase cannot catch. Joe Burrow is having a horrible coaching camp. Drafting a kicker within the fifth spherical was dumb. The Bengals are going to suck. It isn’t straightforward to close up your whole critics with only one win, however I believe the Bengals may need truly managed to try this.
- Loser: Jaguars. The City Meyer experiment is already trying like a catastrophe. The Jags’ opener towards Houston was speculated to be considered one of their finest pictures of selecting up a win this season and so they acquired blown out. To get an concept of simply how badly issues are already moving into Jacksonville, you need to learn Jason La Canfora’s take from Sunday and you can do that by clicking here.
Not solely did we checklist our winners and losers, however we additionally recapped each sport from Sunday. To take heed to immediately’s episode — and to subscribe to the very best day by day NFL podcast on the market — be sure to click here.
2. Rookie receivers taken within the high 10 go off in Week 1
It isn’t typically that you simply see three receivers get chosen within the high 10 of an NFL Draft, however that is precisely what occurred this yr, marking simply the second time since 2006 that three receivers have gone that top. Taking a receiver that top is usually a gamble, however to date, that gamble has paid off for the Bengals, Dolphins and Eagles as their rookie receivers all had spectacular video games in Week 1.
Here is a have a look at how they did:
- Ja’Marr Chase (Bengals chosen him with the fifth general decide). After being affected by drops throughout coaching camp, Chase out of the blue remembered the best way to catch the ball on Sunday and Burrow took benefit of that. Chase caught 5 passes for 101 yards, together with a 50-yard landing simply earlier than halftime that you could check out by clicking here.
- Jaylen Waddle (Dolphins chosen him with the sixth general decide). Waddle did not have as many catches as the opposite two guys on this checklist, however he made essentially the most of them. The Dolphins rookie caught 4 passes, together with a vital 3-yard TD catch within the third quarter that ended up offering the successful factors. Waddle additionally had a powerful 36-yard catch on a day the place he completed with 61 yards.
- DeVonta Smith (Eagles chosen him with the tenth general decide). Though Smith missed a number of weeks of coaching camp with a knee damage, he appeared good wholesome throughout Philadelphia’s 32-6 win over Atlanta. Not solely did Smith lead the crew in receiving yards with 71, however he additionally tied for the crew lead in receptions with six. Smith additionally caught an 18-yard TD within the first quarter that gave the Eagles the lead for good.
All three receivers have one huge factor in widespread and that is the truth that they had been faculty teammates with their quarterback, which could assist clarify why they appear to have such a great reference to their QB only one week into the NFL season.
3. Monday preview: Prepping you for Ravens at Raiders
Each crew within the AFC West gained on Sunday and the Raiders might be seeking to make it a clear sweep with a win over Baltimore. After all, that will not be straightforward and that is primarily as a result of nobody is de facto anticipating the Raiders to win. The Ravens are favored by 4 and that quantity hasn’t modified a lot though Baltimore has misplaced its high three operating backs to season-ending accidents over the previous few weeks.
My good buddy Jared Dubin put our deep-dive preview for this sport right here at CBSSports.com, and here is how he sees the sport taking part in out:
- Why the Ravens can win: The Ravens backfield has taken a beating over the previous few weeks because the crew has misplaced every of their high three operating backs for the season (JK Dobbins, Gus Edwards, and Justice Hill). Regardless of that, the Ravens nonetheless have Lamar Jackson and so they nonetheless have an upgraded offensive line in comparison with final yr and so they’re going up towards a Raiders protection that may not be that good, which implies Jackson might find yourself having an enormous night time.
- Why the Raiders can win: With followers in attendance at Allegiant Stadium for the primary time ever, the Raiders are going to wish to trip their home-field benefit to a victory. On paper, the Ravens are the extra gifted crew, however the Raiders ought to have sufficient weapons on offense to maintain this attention-grabbing.
You may get a full preview of the game from Dubin by clicking here.
Dubin’s decide: Ravens 24-16 over Raiders.
My decide: Raiders 34-31 over Ravens. I’M PICKING THE UPSET.
In case you’re excited about betting on the sport, Tyler Sullivan put collectively a full playing preview.
- ONE PROP TYLER LIKES: Henry Ruggs OVER 34.5 receiving yards (-115): “Ruggs hit the Over on this prop in six of his 13 video games throughout his rookie season and the previous first-round decide must be an excellent greater piece to this Las Vegas offense as he steps into Yr 2. The truth that Nelson Agholor and Tyrell Williams are now not on the roster additionally clears up some extra alternatives for Ruggs.”
- ONE PROP I LIKE: Lamar Jackson to attain a TD (+100): With all his operating backs injured, I’ve a sense Lamar goes to look to make some magic occur any time the Ravens get within the purple zone tonight, so I will not be stunned in any respect if he finally ends up scoring a TD. The truth that this guess is even-money makes me adore it much more.
You possibly can try Sullivan’s full gambling preview by clicking here.
4. Week 1 grades: Packers get an ‘F’
Each week I crew up with six of my colleagues right here at CBSSports.com handy out grades, and this week all of us shed a tear as Jameis Winston and the Saints graduated out of our imaginary soccer college with an ‘A+’ efficiency of their surprising win over the Packers.
Here is a have a look at the grades from two notable video games that had been performed Sunday:
Saints 38, Packers 3 (Click here for full recap)
- Saints takeaway: The largest stunning of Week 1 may need been how effectively Jameis Winston performed. The person who grew to become often known as the human turnover machine in Tampa Bay did not have a single turnover. Oh, and he additionally threw FIVE landing passes. The one factor extra stunning than Winston’s efficiency was how simply the Saints protection was in a position to shut down Inexperienced Bay’s high-powered offense. Grade: A+
- Packers takeaway: The Packers ought to most likely simply burn the movie from this sport and overlook it ever occurred. They could not do something proper, they could not get out of their very own away and I am fairly certain Aaron Rodgers gave up all hope of successful sooner or later within the third quarter. Grade: F
Steelers 23, Payments 16 (Click here for full recap)
- Steelers takeaway: The Steelers protection saved issues shut within the first half after which as soon as the second half of the sport began, the protection lastly acquired some assist from the opposite two phases of the sport. Ben Roethlisberger and the offense got here alive within the second half with 4 scoring drives, which was mildly surprising contemplating they solely totaled 54 YARDS within the ENTIRE FIRST HALF. The particular groups additionally got here via huge time with a blocked punt for a landing. This win marked the primary time in franchise historical past that the Steelers overcame a halftime deficit of 10 points or extra in an opener. Grade: A
- Payments takeaway: After taking a 10-0 lead at half time, the Payments appeared to utterly soften down within the second half. Final yr, it appeared just like the teaching workers was at all times making the precise calls, however there will certainly be some second-guessing after this loss thanks largely to the truth that the Payments failed twice on pivotal fourth downs within the second half. The particular groups additionally allowed the Steelers to return a blocked punt for a landing within the fourth quarter, which successfully iced the win for Pittsburgh. Grade: D
As for the opposite 24 grades we handed out on Sunday, you can check those out by clicking here.
5. Week 1 accidents: Ryan Fitzpatrick positioned on IR with hip damage
Hopefully we cannot have to have an damage roundup each week, however there have been so many accidents across the NFL over the weekend that we positively wanted one for immediately.
Here is a have a look at the most important accidents from Week 1:
- Ryan Fitzpatrick positioned on IR. Washington’s new quarterback did not even make it via one sport along with his new crew. Fitzpatrick suffered a hip injury and can miss a number of weeks and presumably longer, relying on the severity of the damage. So as to add depth at QB, Washington signed Kyle Shurmur to its practice squad. As for this week’s sport, Taylor Heinicke will probably be the starter on Thursday night time towards the Giants.
- 49ers lose Jason Verrett. The 49ers worry that Verrett tore his ACL on Sunday and if that is the case, then he’ll be out for the season. With Verrett probably out, there’s an opportunity the 49ers could look to make a reunion happen with Richard Sherman. Raheem Mostert (knee) was additionally injured within the 49ers’ 41-33 win, however the crew would not consider it will likely be season ending.
- Lions lose Jeff Okudah. The No. 3 general decide within the 2020 NFL Draft is done for the season after rupturing his Achilles towards the 49ers. It is a huge blow for a participant that was seeking to bounce again after an up-and-down rookie yr.
- Jerry Jeudy sprains his ankle. The damage to the Broncos receiver was unhealthy sufficient on Sunday that he needed to be carted off the sector. Nevertheless, the Broncos acquired some excellent news when the X-rays got here again detrimental. The prognosis is a high-ankle sprain, which implies Jeudy probably won’t be back until some time in October on the earliest.
- Bears lose two tackles. The Bears had been all the way down to their third left deal with on Sunday after each Jason Peters (quad) and his backup Larry Borom (ankle) needed to go away the sport attributable to accidents. If each are out in Week 2, that will be an enormous blow for the Bears offensive line.
- Mekhi Becton injures his knee. The Jets second-year offensive lineman needed to be carted off the sector on Sunday towards the Panthers. The preliminary prognosis is that Becton had a kneecap dislocation that popped back into place, which implies he’ll positively be again on the sector sooner somewhat than later, however there is no clear timeline for his return simply but.
- Michael Gallup probably out for a number of weeks. This damage occurred Thursday, but it surely’s nonetheless notable. The Cowboys receiver is probably going going to miss multiple weeks after struggling a calf damage towards the Buccaneers.
- Browns deal with Jedrick Wills (ankle) everyday: Willis was injured throughout Sunday’s loss to the Chiefs however coach Kevin Stefanski had excellent news immediately as Wills’ X-rays came back negative.
A pair different gamers had been additionally injured on Sunday and did not return, but it surely’s not clear what their prognosis is correct now. They embrace: Patriots deal with Trent Brown (knee) and Chargers deal with Bryan Bulaga (again).
6. Speedy-fire roundup
It was a busy weekend within the NFL and because it’s practically inconceivable to maintain observe of every thing that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Vikings legend and Professional Soccer Corridor of Famer Mick Tinglehoff passes away. After being signed as an undrafted free agent in 1962, Tinglehoff went on to play his total 17-year profession in Minnesota and the craziest half is that he by no means missed a single sport with crew (That is 240 straight video games when you’re scoring at house). The Vikings legend went to the Professional Bowl six occasions and was named an All-Professional a complete of 5 occasions. Tingelhoff was 81. For extra particulars on his life, be sure to click here.
- Marshon Lattimore lands monstrous extension. After the Saints beat the Packers on Sunday, Lattimore landed a pleasant reward from the crew within the type of a a five-year, $97.6 million extension that features $68.3 million in assured cash. The assure represents the most important one which’s ever been given to a nook. Sadly, Lattimore may not be on the sector in Week 2 and that is as a result of he’s set to undergo thumb surgery, which can make him week to week going ahead.
- Eagles additionally hand out a large contract extension. The Eagles and Jordan Mailata agreed to phrases on a four-year, $64 million extension over the weekend. Mailata is now the crew’s beginning left deal with, which appears virtually inconceivable to consider when you think about that as not too long ago as three years in the past, he had by no means even performed soccer.
- Cowboys La’el Collins hit with five-game suspension. The Cowboys are going to need to go the subsequent 5 weeks with out considered one of their high linemen after Collins was given a five-game suspension by the NFL on Friday. In keeping with NFL.com, Collins was suspended because he missed multiple drug tests.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/winners-and-losers-from-week-1-of-the-nfl-season-plus-picking-a-winner-for-mnf-ravens-raiders-game/ | Winners and losers from Week 1 of the NFL season, plus selecting a winner for ‘MNF’ Ravens-Raiders sport