Welcome to the Monday version of the Choose Six publication!
If I realized one factor from watching soccer yesterday, it is that the great groups is likely to be unhealthy and the unhealthy groups is likely to be good, which is simply as complicated because it sounds. I went to mattress confused final night time. Simply after I thought the Bills regarded like the very best staff within the AFC they went out and misplaced to the Jaguars. Simply after I thought the 49ers may make a transfer within the standings, they went out and misplaced to Colt McCoy. Simply after I was prepared to call the Cowboys as the very best staff within the NFC, they went out and fell behind 30-0 to the Broncos.
If all the great groups are literally unhealthy, possibly which means we must always simply let the Texans and Lions play within the Super Bowl. Simply kidding. I do not ever need to see the Texans play a recreation ever once more. I cried myself to sleep final night time simply serious about how badly their offense performed.
With so many upsets in Week 9, who have been the winners and losers of the week? Glad you requested, we’ll be masking that plus a bunch extra right now, so let’s get to the rundown.
As at all times, here is your weekly reminder to inform all your folks to join the Choose Six publication. To get your folks to enroll, all you need to do is click here and then share this link with them.
1. As we speak’s present: Week 9 winners and losers, plus full recap
It is Monday, which may solely imply one factor: I stayed up till 3 a.m. final night time recording a podcast with Will Brinson and Ryan Wilson that touched on every part you should learn about Week 9, and let me simply say, it is most likely for the very best that you just hear. We lined all 12 video games from Sunday and we spent many of the podcast attempting to determine who’s a fraud and who’s an precise contender, which was practically unimaginable after all of the upsets.
One factor we do each week is hand out our weekly winners and losers from Sunday’s motion. For our winners this week, Brinson and I every went with a quarterback who was making his first profession begin whereas Wilson determined to go a distinct route.
- Winner: Josh Allen. No, not that Josh Allen, the opposite Josh Allen. In a battle of Josh Allens, Jacksonville’s Josh Allen out-Josh Allen’d Buffalo’s Josh Allen with a loopy efficiency that included a sack, an interception and a fumble restoration for the Jaguars.
- Loser: Vikings. This staff finds a brand new and thrilling strategy to lose each week. This week, they blew a double-digit lead after which misplaced in extra time. They’ve made shedding an artwork kind, which is not straightforward to do.
- Winner: Mike Vrabel. Over the previous 4 weeks, the Titans have performed the Payments, Chiefs, Colts and Rams. Some folks thought they’d go 1-3 or 2-2 throughout that span, however they went 4-0 because of Vrabel, who at all times has his staff able to play in large video games. Probably the most spectacular a part of the win over the Rams was that they did it with out Derrick Henry.
- Loser: Bengals. After fooling everybody into considering they have been good, the Bengals have now misplaced two in a row. Two weeks in the past, this staff was the No. 1 general seed within the AFC, however now they’re right down to tenth after consecutive losses.
- Winner: Broncos protection. They dumped Von Miller after which instantly proceeded to play their greatest recreation of the season. Apparently, addition by subtraction is an actual factor.
- Loser: Kyle Shanahan. I believe we most likely must cease calling him a training genius, as a result of a genius does not lose to a quarterback who solely has eight profession wins. A genius additionally does not lose to a division rival enjoying with out its two greatest gamers.
Not solely did we record our winners and losers, however we additionally recapped each recreation from Sunday. To take heed to right now’s episode — and to subscribe to the very best every day NFL podcast on the market — be sure to click here. You may also WATCH today’s episode on YouTube by clicking here, and bear in mind, in the event you watch the episode on YouTube, you will see me in full costume.
Each week I staff up with six of my colleagues right here at CBSSports.com handy out grades, and this week, the Falcons received a ‘B+’ for going into New Orleans and stunning the Saints.
Here is a have a look at the grades from two notable video games that have been performed Sunday:
Falcons 27-25 over Saints (Click here for full recap)
- Falcons takeaway: In the event you’ve seen one Falcons collapse, you’ve got seen all of them, however one factor most Falcons followers have not seen is a collapse that ends with a win. Regardless of blowing an 18-point lead within the fourth quarter, the Falcons nonetheless managed to tug off the upset because of a 64-yard catch from Cordarrelle Patterson that arrange Younghoe Koo’s game-winning discipline aim as time expired. It was becoming that Patterson got here up with the massive play as a result of he made loads of them on a day the place he caught six passes for 126 yards. Matt Ryan crossed the 300-yard mark for the third time in 4 weeks, throwing for 343 yards and two touchdowns. Defensively, the Falcons restricted the Saints to only three factors by way of the primary three quarters. This was the Falcons’ first recreation for the reason that Braves gained the World Collection and if we realized one factor right here, it is that every part appears to be developing Atlanta this 12 months. Grade: B+
- Saints takeaway: On this recreation, Trevor Siemian made his first begin in additional than two years and the issue for the Saints is that he regarded like a quarterback who was making his first begin in additional than two years. Throughout a disastrous first half, the Saints solely crossed Atlanta’s 45-yard line one time they usually by no means got here near scoring. The Saints offense did make a miraculous comeback within the fourth quarter solely to look at their protection soften down over the ultimate minute of the sport. Grade: B-
- Dolphins takeaway: The Dolphins’ offense did not do very a lot on this recreation, however that did not matter, as a result of their protection did sufficient to win it. The Dolphins had Tyrod Taylor working for his life for the higher a part of 4 quarters. Not solely did they choose him off 3 times, however in addition they sacked the Texans quarterback a complete of 5 instances, with 2.5 of these coming from Emmanuel Ogbah. This win wasn’t fairly, however whenever you’re 1-7 going right into a recreation, you possibly can’t actually complain about what your wins appear like. Grade: B-
- Texans takeaway: With Tyrod Taylor making his first begin in seven weeks, it was anticipated that he is likely to be a little bit rusty on Sunday, however the best way he performed, it regarded like his arm was really product of rust. The Texans QB had some of the embarrassing outings of his profession in a recreation the place he threw three interceptions. These picks led to 14 factors for the Dolphins and in a defensive wrestle, that was the distinction. Regardless of Taylor’s struggles, the Texans did make 4 journeys into the purple zone, however they got here away with zero touchdowns. Grade: D
3. Newest updates on Odell Beckham and Aaron Rodgers
The conditions involving Odell Beckham and Aaron Rodgers each took attention-grabbing turns over the weekend. On Rodgers’ finish, he determined to carry an interview that may solely be described as weird. On Beckham’s finish, he is lastly been launched by the Browns, however we nonetheless do not know the place he will find yourself.
Here is a fast have a look at the 2 conditions.
- Browns restructure Odell’s contract earlier than releasing him: It took some haggling, however Beckham and the Browns finally restructured the receiver’s contract over the weekend. Beneath phrases of his new deal, any staff that claims Beckham will owe him the rest of his 2021 pay, which is $7.25 million. Additionally, the ultimate two years of his deal have been voided out, which implies he’ll turn into a free agent after the 2021 season until he works out a brand new deal.
- Beckham now headed to waivers. Because it took till Saturday to hammer out his new deal, Beckham will not formally be placed on waivers till right now, which pushes his timeline again by 24 hours. Mainly, groups could have till 4 p.m. on Tuesday to place in a declare, so do not search for any motion on the Beckham entrance till tomorrow.
- Solely 9 groups presently have sufficient cap house to assert him on waivers: In keeping with Overthecap.com, the one groups with sufficient wage cap house so as to add him are: the Jaguars ($28.02 million), Eagles ($21.44 million), Broncos ($15.26 million), Seahawks ($13.34 million), Panthers ($11.49 million), Washington ($11.12 million), Chargers ($10.36 million), Steelers ($10.15 million) and Bengals ($8.15 million). This doesn’t suggest these are the one solely groups that may declare him, nevertheless it does imply that some other staff should pull off some main wage cap gymnastics between now and Tuesday at 4 p.m. in the event that they need to add him.
- Do not search for a nasty staff to assert him. In accordance to ESPN.com, Beckham needs to play for a playoff contender and he may doubtlessly trigger points if a nasty staff claims him, which implies it is extremely unlikely you will see a staff just like the Jaguars or Eagles make a declare regardless that each groups have the cap room to do it. The Lions presently have the highest spot within the waiver order (you can see the entire order by clicking here), however they solely have $2.35 million in out there cap house, which is why you possible will not see them make a declare regardless that they may use a receiver.
- Beckham will hit free company if he goes unclaimed. Along with his contract quantity so excessive, there’s positively a chance that Beckham might go unclaimed. If that occurs, then he’ll turn into a free agent and he’ll be capable of signal with the staff of his selecting.
- Favorites to land Beckham. In accordance to Pro Football Talk, the Seahawks, Saints and 49ers are thought-about the favorites to get Beckham. The Seahawks most likely have the very best shot at him since they’ve the very best waiver precedence and essentially the most cap room, which implies they’ll afford Beckham. The Saints have lower than a $1 million in cap house, so including Beckham will not be straightforward.
- Rodgers explains why he did not get vaccinated: The Packers QB mentioned he did not get vaccinated as a result of he has an allergy to an ingredient that’s within the mRNA vaccines. This can be true, however the NFL clearly did not purchase his rationalization as a result of if it did, he would have been given a medical exemption for his lack of a vaccination. He was not given an exemption.
- Rodgers explains why he mentioned he was ‘immunized’ again in August. In accordance to NFL.com, Rodgers “obtained a homeopathic therapy from his private physician to lift his antibody ranges” and he hoped that may be sufficient to present him the identical standing as a vaccinated participant. Nevertheless, the NFL shot that request down, which is why he is labeled as an unvaccinated participant.
- Rodgers knowingly violated the NFL’s COVID protocols: The quarterback made it clear that he thought a few of the NFL’s protocols “usually are not primarily based in science,” so he did not comply with them. The principle one is that he did not put on a masks at press conferences regardless that he knew he was breaking the foundations. Will probably be attention-grabbing to see how the NFL reacts to this as a result of it could be like getting a rushing ticket for going 55 in a 35 after which telling the officer that you just did not agree with the velocity restrict so that you did not comply with it and due to this fact, you should not be given a ticket. I attempted that when, it did not work.
- Rodgers will possible be fined, however not suspended. In keeping with the protocols agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA, a participant will be fined $14,650 for a primary offense, but when there are repeated offenses, they can be fined a total of one game-check. In essentially the most severe of circumstances, a participant might be suspended for as much as 4 video games for conduct detrimental to the staff. In accordance to NFL.com, Rodgers might be hit with a wonderful if he will get punished, however not a suspension.
You’ll be able to read more about Rodgers’ interview by clicking here.
4. 9 loopy details from Week 9
Each Sunday night time, I get an electronic mail from our analysis division right here at CBS Sports activities, and each Sunday, that electronic mail at all times contains some amazingly wild details in regards to the video games that have been simply performed.
With that in thoughts, listed below are eight loopy details about Week 9:
- Browns be part of uncommon membership. The Browns turned the primary staff since 1967 — and simply fourth in NFL historical past — to document a passing TD, a speeding TD and a defensive TD that each one went for 60 yards or extra (The 1967 Chargers, 1966 Chiefs and 1966 Washington are the opposite three groups to tug that off).
- Jaguars pull off one of many greatest upsets of the previous 30 years. In the event you go by the purpose unfold, the Jaguars’ win over the Payments was the seventh biggest upset in the NFL since 1990. The Jaguars closed as a 15.5-point underdog, which is one motive why their win appeared so inconceivable. Sadly for the Payments, they’ve now been on the shedding facet in three of these seven upsets (You’ll be able to read more about that here).
- Cowboys give us one other sports activities e-book rarity. The Cowboys have been favored by 10 factors towards the Broncos, so it was beautiful to see them fall behind 30-0 at one level within the recreation. It was much more beautiful when you think about that they have been the first double-digit favorite to trail by 30 in a game since 2001 when the closely favored Colts misplaced to the Patriots 44-13. That recreation is healthier often known as the primary begin of Tom Brady’s profession.
- Josh Allen makes historical past towards Josh Allen. The Jaguars Josh Allen made NFL historical past by turning into the primary participant to sack a quarterback with the identical identify. He then made extra historical past when he turned the primary participant to choose off a quarterback with the identical identify.
- Texans be part of uncommon membership with ugly begin. At one level this season, the Texans have been 1-0, however that was ceaselessly in the past. After the loss to Miami, Houston is now 1-8 on the season, making the Texans simply the twelfth staff in NFL historical past to lose eight straight after beginning 1-0 (The final staff to do it was the 2020 Jaguars).
- Lamar Jackson ties Michael Vick document. With 120 speeding yards towards the Vikings, Lamar Jackson now has 10 profession common season video games with 100 yards or extra on the bottom, which is tied with Michael Vick for essentially the most by a QB in NFL historical past. Name me loopy, however I believe Lamar is ultimately going to interrupt this document.
- Chandler Jones is now the Cardinals‘ all-time sack chief. With one sack towards the 49ers, Chandler Jones now has 67 in his Cardinals profession, which is a brand new franchise document. Jones handed Freddie Joe Nunn, who tallied 66.5 throughout a profession with the Playing cards that spanned from 1985 to 1993. The wonderful factor about Jones holding the document is that he is solely been with the staff since 2016.
- Residence candy residence is not so candy for the 49ers. Due to their loss to the Cardinals, the 49ers have now misplaced eight straight residence video games, which is tied with the Lions for the longest lively streak within the NFL. Being tied with the Lions in any statistic is embarrassing, however particularly this one .
- Cardinals have the very best document within the NFL. At 8-1, the Cardinals presently have the very best document within the NFL. That is notable for 2 causes: For one, within the Tremendous Bowl period, they’ve NEVER completed as the highest seed within the NFC. In the event you return even additional, they’ve solely completed the season with the NFL’s greatest document a complete of 1 time in franchise historical past and that got here all the best way again in 1948.
5. Monday preview: Prepping you for Bears at Steelers
The Bears and Steelers each benefitted from all of the upsets that occurred on Sunday they usually may gain advantage much more with a win tonight. Though the Bears are simply 3-5, they may soar from twelfth to ninth within the NFC standings with a win. As for the Steelers, a loss would damage as a result of it could drop them from second place within the AFC North to final place.
My good buddy Jared Dubin wrote our deep-dive preview for this recreation right here at CBSSports.com, and here is how he sees the sport enjoying out:
- Why the Bears can win: The Bears are anticipated to get David Montgomery again for tonight’s recreation, which is a large deal, as a result of they are going to have the ability to must run the ball effectively if they are going to pull off the upset. Having each Montgomery and Khalil Herbert within the backfield will not simply assist the bottom recreation, nevertheless it must also assist the passing recreation as a result of each guys can catch the ball out of the backfield. The Steelers are good at speeding the passer, so it will not be stunning if Justin Fields is pressured to examine right down to his working backs early and infrequently. Mainly, the Bears are going to want a giant recreation from their working backs.
- Why the Steelers can win: The Bears have one of many worst rush defenses in soccer they usually’re not going to have Khalil Mack tonight, which ought to pave the best way for Najee Harris to have an enormous recreation. If Harris will get going, it is laborious to think about the Steelers shedding. The Steelers protection must also give the Bears’ matches, which makes it really feel like that is going to be a low-scoring defensive wrestle.
You can get a full preview of the game from Dubin by clicking here. The Steelers are presently a 6.5-point favourite.
Dubin’s choose: Steelers 20-17 over Bears.
My choose: Steelers 20-13 over Bears.
In the event you’re serious about betting on the sport, Tyler Sullivan put collectively a full playing preview.
- ONE PROP TYLER LIKES: Najee Harris OVER 81.5 speeding yards (-115): “Harris has seen 20-plus carries in every of the final three video games and goes up towards a Bears run protection that is giving up 125 yards per recreation this season. Chicago was additionally simply run over by Elijah Mitchell for 137 yards in Week 8. With the kind of quantity Harris is projected towards and the opponent he is dealing with, he ought to be able to go over.”
- ONE PROP I LIKE: Steelers discipline aim to be the primary scoring play of the sport (+275): I will get a little bit wild right here with this prediction. The Steelers are going to be fired up since it is a residence primetime recreation, so if the Bears get the ball first, I believe Pittsburgh will power a punt. This looks like a recreation the place the Steelers will rating the primary factors, however the Bears do have an honest protection, so I will say Chicago holds them to a discipline aim and that Chris Boswell finally ends up with the primary factors of the sport.
6. Fast-fire roundup
It was a busy weekend within the NFL and because it’s practically unimaginable to maintain monitor of every part that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you:
- NFL Honors award present is switching dates. This present is normally held the night time earlier than the Tremendous Bowl, however for this 12 months — and yearly going ahead — the present will be held the Thursday before the Super Bowl, which implies it is going to be airing on Feb. 10, 2022. NFL Honors is the place the league arms out all its large awards like MVP and rookie of the 12 months.
- DeSean Jackson indicators with Raiders. With Henry Ruggs not on the staff, the Raiders did not waste any time discovering a deep menace to interchange him. CBS Sports activities NFL Insider Josina Anderson reported on Sunday that the Raiders have signed Jackson, who was minimize by the Rams final week.
- Henry Ruggs dealing with as much as 46 years in jail. Ruggs was already dealing with fees of driving below the affect leading to demise and reckless driving, however now, the prosecution has added two more charges in the form of another DUI charge (DUI leading to substantial bodily hurt) and one other reckless driving cost. Ruggs is dealing with practically 5 many years in jail if he is discovered responsible on each cost.
- DeVante Parker positioned on injured reserve. The Dolphins receiver was positioned on IR over the weekend as a consequence of a hamstring damage. The transfer means he will not be allowed to return till Week 12 on the earliest.
- Calvin Ridley on the non-football sickness/damage record. The Falcons receiver introduced final week that he was going to step away from soccer to get his thoughts proper. This transfer signifies that if he needs to return, he will not be capable of do it till Week 12 on the earliest.
- Mac Jones referred to as out by Panthers gamers. Haason Reddick has accused Jones of a dirty play that led to an damage for Carolina’s Brian Burns. Reddick says that Jones purposely twisted Burns’ ankle and primarily based on the clip (which you can see here), it seems Reddick is likely to be proper. If the NFL agrees, it might hit Jones with a wonderful or perhaps a suspension if it is deemed severe sufficient.
Get 40% off NFL gear now
The vacations are nearly right here, and now you can get 40% off choose NFL gear at Fanatics. Hoodies, shirts, jackets, and way more are discounted. There’s even baseball gear on sale. Check out the full Holiday Promo selection here now.
We could obtain a fee for purchases made by way of these hyperlinks.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/winners-and-losers-from-nfl-week-9-plus-teams-that-might-land-odell-beckham-jr-and-bears-steelers-picks/ | Winners and losers from NFL Week 9, plus groups which may land Odell Beckham Jr. and Bears-Steelers picks