News

Toronto police ‘prepare’ as truck ‘convoy’ protests expected in city – Toronto

Toronto police said it was “preparing” for protests scheduled to take place in the city on Saturday.

blank

In a tweet Saturday morning, the force said there would be an “increased police presence.”

Read more:

Ottawa police issued 30 tickets, including honking, disrupting the convoy

“We continue to maintain downtown streets closed,” the tweet read.

Officers said “ensuring the Hospital Rows are always well-ventilated remains our priority.”

The story continues below the ad

Similarly, in a statement Saturday, Peel Regional Police said the force was “aware of a planned protest to take place in the City of Toronto, with a starting point for participants in the Area.” our area.”

The force said “while we respect the rights of individuals under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly, our priority as a police service is to ensure the safety and welfare of all involved.”

Police said the protests “could disrupt the normal flow of traffic.”

“However, we will endeavor to minimize any impact to the public,” the statement read.

The story continues below the ad

The Toronto Transportation Commission (TTC) warned that the protests could make trips “take longer than expected”.

The rally is planned a week after protesters from across the country gathered on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

Speaking at a news conference Friday, Toronto Mayor John Tory, said police are preparing, with support from the City, “because we all want to do everything we can to avoid the situation.” that we’re seeing in Ottawa.”


Click to play video:'Cities prepare for large-scale convoy rally'







Cities prepare for large-scale convoy rally


Cities prepare for large-scale convoy rally

“If anyone is coming here to protest an unwarranted and disrespectful protest, I would like to ask on behalf of all Toronto residents and businesses to stay home,” Tory said.

The mayor said he spoke with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and Premier Doug Ford.

The story continues below the ad

“In our conversations, all three offered their help and their government’s help to the City of Toronto if required during this protest,” Tory said.

Read more:

Trucker’s convoy: Trudeau says protest ‘becoming illegal’ as demands for action grow

The protests, initially aimed at denouncing vaccine regulations for truck drivers crossing the Canada-U.S. border, later morphed into a protest against a series of illegals. COVID-19 restrictions and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government.

Now, a week after arriving, some protesters are still on Parliament Hill.

Ottawa police said “several” investigations are underway into the protests, including the desecration of the National War Memorial and the Terry Fox statue.


Click to play video:''Blow up and stop': Ottawa police signal new strategy for dealing with disruptive protesters'







‘Strength and restraint’: Ottawa police signal new strategy for handling disruptive protesters


‘Strength and restraint’: Ottawa police signal new strategy for handling disruptive protesters

On Thursday, officials said at least 30 tickets had been issued in connection with the protests.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play video:'Anti-Trucker protests: Toronto mayor hopes protesters will'speak peace and go home'







Trucker protests: Toronto mayor hopes protesters will ‘speak their peace and go home’


Trucker protests: Toronto mayor hopes protesters will ‘speak their peace and go home’

In a statement sent to Global News on Friday by email, Ford said Toronto and Ottawa police agencies have “his clear support as they work to keep communities safe.”

Harassment or acts of hatred or intolerance of any kind will not be tolerated, he said. “I have reiterated to both Mayor Tory and Mayor Watson that the province stands ready to provide any additional resources they may request.”

Ford said the occupation in Ottawa “only hurts families and businesses trying to get on with their lives”.

“The time has come for it to end,” the statement said.

More to come…

-With files from Global News ‘Gabby Rodrigues and Ryan Rocca

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8597373/toronto-trucker-convoy-demonstration-feb-5/ Toronto police ‘prepare’ as truck ‘convoy’ protests expected in city – Toronto

Russell Falcon

Inter Reviewed is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@interreviewed.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button