- A diaphragm is a silicone, cup-like object that you just insert into your vagina to cowl your cervix.
- Diaphragms should be used together with spermicide, which is a sperm-killing gel.
- A diaphragm has a failure charge of 17%, which is much less efficient than different types of contraception.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
Even though the diaphragm was invented in 1842, it is nonetheless a related
possibility for some individuals at the moment.
Though fashionable choices just like the capsule and IUDs are simpler, diaphragms can nonetheless be a very good contraception possibility for individuals who desire a non-hormonal possibility.
Here is what you’ll want to learn about how diaphragms work, in addition to their benefits and drawbacks.
What’s a diaphragm?
A diaphragm is a silicone machine formed like a shallow cup. It is about three inches in diameter and has a thick rim alongside the surface.
You insert the diaphragm into your vagina and it covers your cervix, which creates a bodily barrier in opposition to sperm.
Diaphragms are usually 94% efficient in case you use them completely, however in actuality they find yourself being about 88% efficient— that means that about 12 out of 100 individuals who use a diaphragm will get pregnant every year.
Nonetheless, you may enhance the effectiveness of a diaphragm by utilizing spermicide. Spermicide is a gel that comprises chemical substances which are supposed to kill sperm or cease it from transferring up by way of the vagina towards a possible egg. Utilizing spermicide together with the diaphragm makes it far more effective. It isn’t beneficial to make use of a diaphragm with out spermicide.
Find out how to use a diaphragm
Diaphragms are onerous to come back by in drug shops, so your finest guess of getting one is to schedule a go to along with your healthcare supplier. They’ll fit your needs with the appropriate measurement in addition to train you learn how to insert it appropriately.
- Place spermicide within the diaphragm and alongside its rim.
- Fold the diaphragm in half.
- With one hand, unfold open your vagina and with the opposite hand, insert the diaphragm with the aspect containing spermicide up.
- Push the diaphragm as far up and again as it can go.
- Push the entrance rim behind the pubic bone to make sure it stays in place.
After intercourse, it is vital that you just depart the diaphragm in place for no less than six hours.
“It’s because the sperm is within the vagina and so in case you take it out early, then the sperm can get into the cervix,” says Yamaguchi.
Nonetheless, don’t depart it in for greater than 24 hours. When you’ve got intercourse once more inside this time interval, you will want to insert extra spermicide into your vagina, however keep the diaphragm in.
If you’re able to take away your diaphragm, hook one finger beneath the entrance rim and pull it straight down and out.
Wash it with cleaning soap and water after every use and retailer it in its case in a cool and dry place.
Pros of diaphragms
- Diaphragms are non-hormonal: Some individuals select to keep away from introducing additional hormones into their our bodies as a private selection or as a result of they expertise unwanted side effects. .
- You solely use a diaphragm once you want it: Not like contraception drugs which must be taken every single day or IUDs which might be inserted and left in for a number of years, you solely use a diaphragm once you’re planning to have penetrative intercourse.
- Your accomplice cannot really feel it: Throughout intercourse, your accomplice should not be capable to really feel the diaphragm.
- It is reusable: Not like different barrier strategies comparable to condoms that are single use, diaphragms are reusable. The truth is, it can last up to two years.
Cons of diaphragms
Relating to contraception, it is your physique and your selection.
Finally, you must choose the kind of contraception that works finest for you after you are educated on the entire completely different choices.
If you happen to need assistance deciding which contraception is the appropriate selection, do not hesitate to contact your OB-GYN.
https://www.insider.com/diaphragm-birth-control | the Pros and Cons and Find out how to Use One