The AL Wild Card race was one for the ages, plus Tom Brady had a historic night in New England
Completely happy Monday publication readers, it’s Shanna McCarriston. Tom Brady and Invoice Belichick confronted one another final night time and I’m greater than thrilled to have that sport behind us. In the end, I wished the Patriots to come back away with the win, however they performed effectively and it was good to see Brady speaking about how a lot his time in New England meant to him.
Please examine the opt-in field to acknowledge that you simply want to subscribe.
Thanks for signing up!
Regulate your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
We’ll talk about that sport — and check out motion from the remainder of the league as effectively — BUT FIRST we have to go over what was a wild last day of MLB‘s common season and what all of it means for the playoffs.
Let’s get to it.
📰 What you’ll want to know
1. MLB postseason discipline is about, headlined by Yankees vs. Red Sox in Wild Card Sport ⚾
First off, a congratulations to the MLB teams (and their followers) who’re headed to the postseason. And for the remaining, what they are saying … there’s all the time subsequent yr.
Yesterday each crew performed their 162nd sport of the season and it was wanted to find out who was going to increase their season. Issues went right down to the wire — particularly within the AL Wild Card race — which made all of it a bit extra fascinating.
The playoffs formally start with that Yankees vs. Crimson Sox Wild Card Sport on Tuesday night time. We may have way more on that matchup in tomorrow’s publication, but for now I’ll leave you with this.
Right here is a look at the postseason teams, by seeding:
- No. 1: Rays, East
- No. 2: Astros, West
- No. 3: White Sox, Central
- No. 4 (Wild Card): Crimson Sox, East
- No. 5 (Wild Card): Yankees, East
Right here is how the postseason will work:
- Wild Card Sport: winner advances
- Division Collection (two per league): best-of-five sequence
- Championship Collection: best-of-seven sequence
- World Collection: best-of-seven sequence
Not everybody had a day value celebrating, however generally even the worst of the worst get one thing in return. The Orioles did not have one of the best season, in actual fact that they had the worst document within the league, but I suppose at least next season they do get the No. 1 pick.
2. Tom Brady wins first sport towards Patriots, Invoice Belichick 🏈
The sport that induced New Englanders to go on an emotional rollercoaster has come and gone, and it was Tom Brady and the Buccaneers who came out victorious — however not by a lot. The Bucs gained 19-17, with the sport ending in an extended discipline aim doink from the Patriots that was inches from getting into.
Had the Patriots made that discipline aim, they possible would’ve ended the night time with a W.
With the win, Brady has now defeated all 32 NFL teams. As if it was scripted, he additionally handed Drew Brees for many passing yards all-time so as to add to his already insane resume and Brees was on the sideline when it occurred.
This is a deeper look at what happened in the game:
- The Pats missed alternatives. Tampa totaled simply six factors on 5 first-half drives, however New England may handle solely a 7-6 lead on the break
- Brady completed with extra speeding yards than the Patriots
- A number of Patriots trick performs and double-passes stored the Bucs protection on their toes
- With a minute remaining within the sport, Nick People’s 56-yard discipline aim try for New England was no good
- Turnovers and penalties damage the Patriots ultimately
Regardless of the loss, Patriots QB Mac Jones seemed strong. He went 31 of 40 passing for 275 yards with two touchdowns and an interception — and at one level accomplished 19 straight passes. I do not love giving out “ethical victories,” but when there ever was one for the Pats, this was it.
3. NFL Week 4 recap: Jets and Giants lastly win; previewing Chargers vs. Raiders 🏈
There have been video games on Sunday that didn’t contain Tom Brady and we had some surprises, just like the Jets really profitable! I used to be most impressed by the Cardinals, who handed the Rams their first lack of the season and proceed to show themselves as severe contenders.
The Payments beating the Texans was not stunning, however Josh Allen and firm blowing out Houston 40-0 proves simply how harmful that offense may be.
Listed below are another prime tales from across the league:
The Raiders, who play the Chargers tonight, at the moment are the one undefeated crew left.
The spread is currently at Chargers -3 and the over-under is at 51.5 factors. CBS Sports activities’ Pete Prisco, who offers us his weekly picks, predicts the Chargers will win 36-30. I’ll go the opposite approach and give this one to the Raiders.
4. School soccer winners and losers: Michigan aces large check 🏈
You understand what time it’s: it’s college football winners and losers time! That is turning into a beautiful publication custom and, identical to all the time, there’s a lot to debate.
We noticed three top-10 groups lose, together with No. 3 Oregon and No. 10 Florida fall to unranked opponents. Here’s a have a look at the winners and losers from Week 5:
- Michigan: The Wolverines aced their greatest check of the season, defeating Wisconsin 38-17
- Kentucky: The streak of not beating Florida in Lexington since 1986 is over, with a 20-13 victory
- Pitt QB Kenny Pickett: He accomplished 23 of 36 passes for 389 yards and 4 touchdowns within the crew’s 52-21 win towards Georgia Tech
- Oregon: The Geese gave away too many factors towards Stanford and did not precisely appear like a playoff crew
- Texas A&M: The crew was out-played by Mississippi State and misplaced the sport on a security
For full commentary on winners and losers, plus overreactions, click here.
📝 Odds & Ends
📺 What to look at tonight
🏈 Raiders vs. Chargers, 8:15 p.m. | LAC -3 | TV: ESPN
🏅 Smartest thing I noticed on the web
Auburn’s Bo Nix put collectively one of the vital unimaginable performs I’ve seen this season. To say the quarterback was pressured by the LSU defense on this play would be the understatement of the year. He ought to’ve been sacked about 20 occasions, however someway dodged the Tigers speeding at him and made a miracle occur, finishing a landing move.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/information/the-al-wild-card-race-was-one-for-the-ages-plus-tom-brady-had-a-historic-night-in-new-england/ | The AL Wild Card race was one for the ages, plus Tom Brady had a historic night time in New England