PHILADELPHIA – The Eagles have misplaced their means.
Their protection can’t appear to cease something or anyone and their offense frequently stubs its toe within the purple zone.
In opposition to the Chiefs they should rating touchdowns somewhat than kick brief area objectives, which Jake Elliott did, changing from 29, 25, and 31 yards, distances all lower than an additional level.
This staff seems to have an extended technique to go to search out the win column, although generally appearances could be deceiving.
Listed below are some observations from their third straight loss and it’s not all bleak:
- Javon Hargrave can’t do all of it by himself, although the defensive sort out isn’t getting a lot assist from these round him. He totaled a team-high fifth sack of the season and is the primary NFL sort out to have 5 sacks via 4 video games since Geno Atkins had 5 in 2012.
Hargrave is the primary Eagles participant to have 5 sacks via 4 video games since Jason Babin had seven in 2011.
- Fletcher Cox performed his third recreation this season with out recording a lot as a single-assisted sort out. It will possibly’t all be double-teams for the rationale, can it?
- DeVonta Smith had his first 100-plus receiving recreation, however it gained’t be his final. The rookie had seven receptions for 122 yards. He would have had a 34-yard landing however stepped out of bounds, a lot the identical means teammate Jalen Reagor did to negate what would have been a 36-yard TD towards the 49ers.
“I simply must squeeze and maintain my line,” stated Smith. “I acquired pushed too far to the sideline, so I simply must squeeze and maintain my line and that won’t occur.”
Nonetheless, Smith now leads the Eagles with 237 receiving yards, that are essentially the most by an Eagle of their first 4 profession video games since DeSean Jackson had 327 in 2008.
- If Miles Sanders isn’t cautious, he could quickly discover his snaps decreased to make extra taking part in time for rookie Kenny Gainwell.
Sanders had simply 13 yards on seven runs, including three catches for 34 yards.
Gainwell had 31 yards on the bottom with simply three runs, including six catches on eight targets for 58 yards. He made a key 12-yard catch on a fourth-and-two name from the 20 within the first quarter.
Gainwell did a pleasant job working his means beneath the protection and wasn’t the primary choice on the play.
“It was a part of [QB] Jalen’s [Hurts] development,” stated the fifth-round choose from Memphis. “He is aware of the place to throw the ball, and the place to get it too. He noticed [me] huge open and Jalen did an excellent job on that.”
Jalen Hurts accounted for 434 complete yards of offense. He threw for a pair of scores and a career-high 387 yards. Afterward, head coach Nick Sirianni referred to as it one of many higher QB performances he had been round, noting that he additionally coached Phillip Rivers and Andrew Luck.
“He battled,” stated the coach. “He made good selections with the soccer. He acquired out of bother when there was bother. He made good checks. He made good reads. That is the perfect I’ve seen him in observe. That is the perfect I’ve seen him in a recreation since I have been right here. Hats off to Jalen, he battled. That is going to be necessary for us shifting ahead.”
- The Eagles had a nice-looking opening drive, that had three straight first downs with completion to Zach Ertz, DeVonta Smith, and Dallas Goedert, fizzled after the Eagles lined as much as go for it on fourth-and-three from the 11. With the play clock winding down, and the Eagles nonetheless shifting, they referred to as timeout and despatched in area purpose unit. Elliott made a 29-yarder however why take a timeout? A delay of the sport would’ve made the attempt a nonetheless very makable 340-yard attempt. Appeared like a wasted timeout.
- The Eagles completed their second drive with a TD, thanks partially to Gainwell, however it was a drive that started with 4 straight first downs – an 11-yard run from Gainwell, a 12-yard run by Jalen Reagor, a 12-yard completion to Quez Watkins, and a 10-yard catch from Sanders.
- The 2 spectacular first-quarter drives collected 158 internet yards for the Eagles offense, their most in a gap quarter since Jan. 3, 2016, on the New York Giants after they had 168.
- Jason Kelce should be an alien. As offensive linemen fell throughout him final yr and once more this yr, he made his 109th straight begin. It’s one thing the veteran middle doesn’t like speaking about for apparent causes, however he’s now the one member of the OL to play each recreation this season and it took simply three video games for that to occur.
Proper sort out Lane Johnson was scratched simply an hour or so previous to kickoff resulting from a private matter.
The Eagles offensive line regarded like this towards KC:
RT: Jack Driscoll, who simply got here off IR on Saturday.
RG: Nate Herbig
LG: Landon Dickerson, who will doubtless proceed there for the season, supplied he can keep wholesome.
LT: Andre Dillard.
And what? They performed OK. Credit score OL coach Jeff Stoutland and a powerful recreation plan from head coach Nick Sirianni that acquired the ball out fast.
- In addition to the OL line adjusted to the absences, it surrendered three sacks and Dillard was referred to as for 4 penalties, two of which have been being illegally downfield. A type of took a landing off the board. The backup left sort out additionally was caught holding and for an unlawful formation.
- Each groups might have made their punter inactive since neither staff punted. The final time the Eagles didn’t punt in a recreation was Nov. 15, 1981, towards Baltimore.