SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake Metropolis Mayor Erin Mendenhall signed an executive order on Wednesday requiring the general public and metropolis staff — vaccinated or not — to put on masks in city-owned buildings and amenities.
The chief order comes after the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention up to date its steerage and recommended that vaccinated individuals should resume wearing a mask when indoors in substantial or excessive transmission areas. The updates come after the delta variant of the coronavirus has been circulating rapidly all through the nation.
Utah public health officials reported over 800 new COVID-19 cases in a single day for the second time this month on Wednesday. Earlier than July 21, the well being division hadn’t reported greater than 800 instances in a single day since February. The College of Utah Well being stated in a launch that the surge of COVID-19 instances amongst people who find themselves unvaccinated with the broad circulation of extremely contagious delta variant has led to a pointy improve in COVID-19 sufferers needing to be hospitalized at their facility.
“As a Metropolis we have at all times appeared to the CDC and our well being specialists to information our actions in opposition to the unfold of COVID-19, and as we speak is not any totally different. It is clear that instances are rising throughout the nation and proper right here in Utah. This measure we’re taking is a vital step in defending everybody working or visiting a Metropolis facility,” Mendenhall stated in a launch.
At this time I signed an govt order requiring the general public and Metropolis staff —vaccinated or not — to put on masks in Metropolis-owned buildings and amenities. We glance to the CDC and well being specialists to information our selections & this transfer is consistent with that dedicationhttps://t.co/czWwlrb9pq
— Mayor Erin Mendenhall (@slcmayor) July 28, 2021
Mendenhall stated that the order is just like the earlier guidelines in place earlier than the state’s “endgame” legislation lifted the citywide masks requirement. The order requires metropolis staff to put on a masks inside metropolis amenities, automobiles or when performing throughout the scope of metropolis employment whereas indoors. Any guests inside a metropolis facility are required to put on a face masks.
The order permits people with particular medical circumstances an exception.
Different exceptions to sporting a masks embrace:
- Whereas actively consuming or ingesting, supplied that the person stays in place whereas consuming or ingesting.
- Whereas alone or solely with different members of the identical family in an workplace, room, cubicle, car or related enclosure.
- When speaking as or with a person who’s deaf or arduous of listening to if the speaker wears a face protect or makes use of various safety equivalent to a plexiglass barrier.
- When partaking in work approved by town the place sporting a face masks would create a danger to the person, as decided by authorities security pointers.
- When wanted to substantiate an id.
- Whereas open air and sustaining a bodily distance of a minimum of 6 toes from any particular person from a unique family.
- Youngsters youthful than 3 years previous.
The order went into impact on Wednesday and can stay in impact till amended or rescinded, in accordance with Mendenhall’s workplace.
Additionally in keeping with CDC steerage, Utah courts have issued a masks mandate for courts positioned in a county that has been designated by the Utah Division of Well being as a reasonable or excessive transmission index depend.
In keeping with the Utah Judicial Council’s Administrative Order, an unvaccinated court docket member lately unfold COVID-19 unknowingly to a person compelled to come back to court docket proceedings and different court docket members. The council said that as a result of courts seeing a rise of individuals being compelled to come back to court docket in particular person, with no means of assuring these they encounter are vaccinated, the court docket issued a masks mandate.
The court docket will provide a masks to people in these areas who don’t have one whereas within the court docket constructing.
The masks mandate doesn’t apply to courts that:
- Are positioned in a county that’s designated by the Utah Division of Well being as a low transmission index county.
- A witness whereas the witness is testifying, or to different people in a courtroom if the decide determines that the non permanent elimination of a masks is critical for identification or different related functions.
- If court docket personnel are at their desk not coping with the general public and bodily distanced from others.
- Courtroom personnel who’re actively consuming or ingesting and bodily distanced from others.
Included within the up to date CDC pointers, the company really helpful “common indoor masking for all lecturers, workers, college students, and guests to varsities, no matter vaccination standing.” Whereas lecturers, workers, college students and guests inside colleges may be inspired to put on masks, the Utah Legislature handed a measure in Might that prohibited a mandate.
The College of Utah Well being officers suggested that as college students prepare to return to high school, those that are 12 and older ought to schedule a vaccination appointment as quickly as doable.
“Now could be the time. Receiving a COVID-19 vaccine is one of the best ways to guard you, your loved ones, your mates, and our neighborhood,” the discharge says.
A sentiment echoed by Dr. Angela Dunn, the previous state epidemiologist who’s now the top of the Salt Lake County Well being Division early Wednesday in a sequence of tweets. Dunn added that sporting a masks helps to guard those that can not get vaccinated but or in any respect.
2/ IF most of our eligible inhabitants will get vaccinated, we’ll lower unfold and never want masks. Till then, we have to cease the unfold with masks too. If we do not, the virus has the chance to maintain mutating and getting stronger.
— Dr. Angela Dunn (@DrAngelaCDunn) July 28, 2021
The record of CDC up to date suggestions may be discovered here.