Rihanna has long been an inspiration to the masses, but this week the pop star, fashion designer and umpire of cool finally received the recognition she deserves as a hero. nation.
During Barbados’ presidential inauguration on Tuesday, Rihanna was named the country’s National Hero Prime Minister Mia Mottley. The event, held in the singer’s hometown of Bridgetown, was held to celebrate Barbados officially severing ties with the United Kingdom and the British monarchy when the country was recognized as a republic in the United Kingdom. Commonwealth. Official country deleted Queen Elizabeth as head of state this week nearly 400 years after the first British ship arrived in the Caribbean island. Incumbent Governor-General, Dame Sandra Mason, was sworn in as president.
In awarding the honor to the Grammy Award winner, Prime Minister Mottley told the crowd: “On behalf of a grateful nation, but an even prouder nation, we therefore ask I present to you the designee of Barbados’ national hero, Ambassador Robyn Rihanna Fenty. May you continue to shine like a diamond and bring honor to your country with your works, with your actions and credit wherever you go,” regarding to the hit 2012 song “Diamonds”. Rihanna was born in 1988 in Barbados as Robyn Rihanna Fenty. As a National Hero, she can now add “True Honor” in front of her name. This honor has been given to only 11 other Barbarians, and Rihanna is the second woman to receive it, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The Fenty founder has long been a proud representative of her country. In 2008, she became one of the country’s cultural ambassadors, doing promotional work on behalf of the Barbados tourism ministry. In 2017, the island celebrated its Independence Day by officially renaming Westbury New Road to Rihanna Street in her honor. And in 2018, Rihanna was appointed as the official ambassador of Barbados.
Better stories from Vanity Fair
– Architect Zaha Hadid’s Rising Dreams in the desert
– Collector or Thief? Inside Queen Mary’s Royal Collection
– Princess Charlene’s Medical Saga Has become more complicated
– 47 Best Early Amazons Black Friday 2021 Deals to Shop Now
– Iman on Life with David Bowie and A Celebration of Her Love in Perfume
– Taylor Swift, “Unsolicited Mess” and Asphyxiation by Girlboss Anachronisms
– Good Newsletter exit strategy It’s hard to find
– Britney Spears celebrates End of conservation responsibility
– 44 items to shop for prepare for Gucci house
– From the Repository: L’Affaire Kardashian
– Registration for “Purchase line“To receive curated fashion, book, and beauty listings in a weekly newsletter.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/11/rihanna-national-hero-barbados-presidential-inauguration-republic-prince-charles-queen-elizabeth Rihanna Named National Hero of Barbados