The ASCO-COA Oncology Medical House requirements supply a roadmap for complete high-quality, patient-centered most cancers care supply.
The American Society of Scientific Oncology (ASCO) and the Group Oncology Alliance (COA) have collectively launched new Oncology Medical House (OMH) requirements with the aim of offering a complete roadmap for oncology practices. The OMH requirements have been just lately revealed in ASCO’s JCO Oncology Follow journal.1,2
In releasing the brand new requirements, ASCO and COA are aiming to realize a broad consensus amongst sufferers, clinicians, payers, purchasers, and employers on what sufferers with most cancers ought to count on and obtain from their most cancers care groups. In line with the two organizations, a aim of the OMH requirements is to determine core parts wanted to ship equitable, high-quality most cancers care.1
“Each single affected person has the proper to high-quality, evidence-based, and cost-effective most cancers care. Nevertheless, our problem as clinicians and as a broader oncology group has been to outline what that high-quality most cancers care appears like,” stated ASCO President Everett E. Vokes, MD, FASCO, in a press launch. “These new, complete requirements will take away ambiguity and function a powerful basis for all stakeholders to work collectively to make sure that each single individual receives the care they deserve, all through the complete affected person journey.”
In line with ASCO and COA, the OMH requirements embody the next parts:1
- Affected person engagement and empowerment in decision-making about their most cancers care, which incorporates individualized remedy plans, survivorship plans, and entry to monetary navigation.
- Affected person entry to most cancers care on the proper time, and in the proper setting. Suppliers ought to use a symptom triage system and supply expanded entry to well timed workplace care to attenuate emergency room visits.
- Proof and value-based remedy. Suppliers ought to doc their adherence to complete medical pathways that replicate the newest medical analysis, along with recommending and referring sufferers to medical trials (as acceptable).
- Affected person entry to equitable, complete, and coordinated, team-based care. Oncology care groups ought to intently coordinate every affected person’s care and embody affected person navigation, psychosocial care, and assist providers as a part of the care workforce. Practices will need to have insurance policies in place to deal with well being fairness, together with consciousness of aware/unconscious bias.
- Steady apply high quality enchancment utilizing information, similar to affected person surveys and patient-reported outcomes, to judge and enhance processes and outcomes.
- Affected person entry to advance care planning discussions, palliative, and end-of-life care. Practices also needs to maintain a ‘objectives of care’ dialogue with all sufferers.
- Follow adherence to the highest-level chemotherapy security requirements per QOPI Certification Program Requirements.
In line with ASCO and COA, implementation of the OMH requirements will handle points that embody acceptable use of oncology medicine, protected and environment friendly supply of those medicines, patient-centered care coordination, efficient communication, knowledgeable determination making, and planning. By establishing a common benchmark for high-quality most cancers care supply, the partnering organizations are striving to offer a possibility for the oncology group to work in direction of a value-based mannequin of care that may profit all sufferers with most cancers.1
“These new OMH requirements present oncology practices with a single set of most cancers care supply expectations that profit sufferers, practices, and different stakeholders,” stated COA President Kashyap Patel, MD, in a press launch. “As practices transition into value-based care supply, people who undertake this framework will be capable of concentrate on a standardized course of that measurably demonstrates high-quality, patient-centered, and environment friendly care.”
The ASCO-COA OMH requirements have been developed based mostly on a scientific overview of proof that included peer-reviewed research, medical pathway research, and a scientific overview of survivorship care plans, together with consensus of a multidisciplinary skilled panel, comprising clinicians, well being system directors, and affected person advocates. The requirements additionally have been accepted by COA’s Cost Reform Committee and the ASCO Board of Director previous to publication.1
In line with ASCO and COA, the brand new requirements are the muse of a 2-year OMH certification pilot program led by ASCO. On the conclusion of the pilot program, the requirements are anticipated to be assessed and modified as wanted.2
- New ASCO-COA Oncology Medical House Requirements Set Excessive Bar, Presents Roadmap for Complete Excessive-quality, Affected person-Centered Most cancers Care Supply [news release]. July 13, 2021; Group Oncology Alliance. Accessed July 14, 2021. https://communityoncology.org/new-asco-coa-oncology-medical-home-standards-set-high-bar-offers-roadmap-for-comprehensive-high-quality-patient-centered-cancer-care-delivery/
- Woofter Ok, Kennedy EB, Adelson Ok, et al. Oncology Medical House: ASCO and COA requirements. JCO Oncol Pract. Revealed July 13, 2021. Accessed July 14, 2021. https://ascopubs.org/doi/pdf/10.1200/OP.21.00167