Nick Kyrgios, Wimbledon tennis star, charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend

Divisive tennis star Nick Kyrgios faces criminal charges in his native Australia after allegedly assaulting his former girlfriend. The Canberra Times reports.

The controversial athlete, who is due to compete in a quarterfinal match at Wimbledon on Wednesday, is reportedly due to appear in court in Canberra, the Australian capital, next month. A statement from Police in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) was shared with local media on Tuesday afternoon. “ACT Police can confirm that a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to appear in ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 on charges of joint assault following an incident in December 2021,” the statement said.

The charges are believed to relate to a claim that world No. 40 in the ATP rankings, Kyrgios grabbed his former partner Chiara Passari. A lawyer acting on behalf of Kyrgios confirmed that his client was aware of the charges. “It’s related to a domestic relationship,” said Jason Moffatt, who is representing the tennis player The Canberra Times. “The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. “Given that the matter is in court … he has no comment at this time, but we will issue a media release in due course.”

News of the assault charges comes after Kyrgios and his typically irritable demeanor sparked a media storm during this year’s Wimbledon. On Monday, he got into a heated argument with a journalist who asked him why he intentionally flouted a tournament dress code that requires players to dress all in white. (Kyrgios donned a pair of red sneakers and a red cap on center court after beating American Brandon Nakashima on Monday).

“I do what I want,” said Kyrgios. When asked if he thought he was above the rules, he replied, “No, I’m not above the rules. I just like wearing my Jordans. That’s okay. I’m going to wear a pair of triple whites tomorrow.”

The irascible player had already been fined $14,000 for two other tournament rule violations. The first was a $10,000 fine for spitting in the direction of a spectator after his first-round win over Paul Jubb. He claimed to have been angered by the heckler after “someone just yelled that I sucked in the crowd today” and he accused the fan of trying to “stoke up disrespect”.

“That’s fine,” added Kyrgios, “but if I give it back to you, so be it.”

His second fine came for an incident during his high-octane match against Greek ace Stefanos Tsitsipas. Kyrgios was fined $4,000 for insulting the referee. (Tsitsipas was himself fined $10,000 during the game for recklessly hitting the ball — including into the crowd — after becoming frustrated with Kyrgios’ on-pitch antics). Last month, Kyrgios estimated his total career penalties totaled around $800,000.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nick-kyrgios-wimbledon-tennis-star-charged-with-assaulting-ex-girlfriend?source=articles&via=rss Nick Kyrgios, Wimbledon tennis star, charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend

Hung

Inter Reviewed is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@interreviewed.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button