Welcome to the Tuesday version of the Choose Six E-newsletter!
At present is not simply Tuesday, it is also the NFL commerce deadline, which implies there is a 47% likelihood that each one hell goes to interrupt unfastened over the following few hours. If a group needs to make a deal, they’ve till 4 p.m. ET to tug it off. We have already seen a number of trades go down this week with Von Miller getting shipped off to the Rams on Monday and Melvin Ingram getting dealt to the Chiefs at the moment.
There’ll virtually definitely be just a few extra trades at the moment and since they are going to in all probability occur after this text will get despatched out, we have made it straightforward so that you can keep up to date on all of the motion at the moment. We’ll be operating a dwell weblog that may cowl each commerce and you can check it out by clicking here.
If you wish to hang around with me later at the moment, we’ll be doing a dwell version of the Choose Six podcast beginning at 3:30 p.m ET and you may examine that out on YouTube by clicking here. Alright, we have quite a bit to cowl at the moment, so let’s get to the rundown.
As at all times, this is your weekly reminder to inform all your folks to join the Choose Six e-newsletter. To get your folks to enroll, all you must do is click here and then share this link with them. If your folks do not wish to join, you need to commerce them for brand new associates. You’ve gotten till 4 p.m. at the moment.
1. At present’s present: Recapping the Chiefs’ tight win over the Giants
The Chiefs had been an enormous favourite going into Monday evening, however evidently somebody forgot to inform the Giants about that, as a result of they really offered some drama in a sport that Kansas Metropolis solely ended up profitable by three factors (20-17).
The one factor that had extra drama than the sport was the podcast we recorded afterward. Listed here are three key issues from that sport that we touched on:
- Chiefs protection really comes up massive. The Chiefs have had one of many worst defenses within the NFL this season, however on Monday evening, the unit really got here up massive. For one, they restricted the Giants to only 300 yards of of whole offense, which was the second-lowest whole they’ve given up this season. In addition they got here up with a number of monstrous performs, together with a primary quarter decide by Willie Homosexual that he returned to New York’s 13-yard line. The interception arrange a Chiefs landing, which was clearly massive, since Kansas Metropolis solely gained by three factors. The Chiefs protection additionally got here up with three sacks, together with two on the Giants’ closing drive of the sport. The sacks had been pivotal as a result of when the Giants began their drive, they wanted simply 35 yards to get in area objective vary.
- Chiefs offense nonetheless seems to be out of sync. After solely scoring three factors towards the Titans in Week 7, the Chiefs offense had one other tough evening in Week 8. Not solely are defenses enjoying them in another way, however it additionally feels just like the Chiefs simply aren’t on the identical web page. Patrick Mahomes accomplished simply 29 of 48 passes for 275 yards and he additionally threw an interception ultimately zone that bounced off a receiver’s arms. Essentially the most regarding half for the Chiefs is how a lot Travis Kelce struggled. The tight finish caught simply 4 passes for 27 yards and he additionally misplaced a fumble within the third quarter that led to a Giants landing. The Chiefs are going to want to determine issues out rapidly as a result of they’ve the Packers coming to city this week.
- Giants affected by dangerous teaching. The Giants botched their closing possession of the primary half and their closing possession of the sport and most of that needed to do with teaching. Joe Decide misused a number of timeouts within the sport. After the loss, he blamed his timeout snafus on the truth that the Giants’ headsets haven’t been working all season. I am not saying the Giants ought to fireplace Decide, however I am additionally not so positive that I’d wish to preserve round somebody who’s blaming dangerous teaching on damaged headsets.
In addition to these three issues, we additionally spent some critical time debating whether or not the Chiefs will make the playoffs this yr. To take heed to at the moment’s episode — and to subscribe to the most effective every day NFL podcast on the market — be sure to click here. You too can watch Monday’s episode on YouTube by clicking here.
2. Prisco’s Energy Rankings heading into Week 9
Now we have some massive information within the Energy Rankings: For simply the third time all season, Pete Prisco has a brand new group on the prime. The Packers are actually No. 1 after a Week 8 win over the Cardinals, who had been No. 1 in final week’s Energy Rankings.
With that in thoughts, this is a have a look at Prisco’s prime 5 groups heading into Week 9:
I am not going to spoil the remainder of the ability rankings right here, however I’m going to provide you just a few nuggets. This is what has modified since final week:
- The largest soar this week went to the Saints, who moved up six spots. Due to their win over the Buccaneers, New Orleans made the transfer from thirteenth to sixth. Personally, I feel that is form of excessive for a group that does not have a quarterback and I’ll make sure to let Prisco know.
- The largest tumble on this week’s rankings went to the Los Angeles Chargers. After cracking the highest 10 final week, the Chargers instantly proved they could not deal with the strain of being ranked so extremely as they went out and misplaced to the Patriots. The loss dropped them from tenth to fifteenth.
- Essentially the most stunning transfer within the rankings in all probability went to the Chiefs, who moved up 5 spots following their unimpressive win over the Giants. Their 20-17 win was sufficient to maneuver them up 4 spots from sixteenth to twelfth.
- We even have some massive information on the backside of the rankings: THE JETS ARE NO LONGER IN LAST. After beating the Bengals, the Jets jumped up 4 spots from thirty second to twenty eighth, which implies we now have a brand new group within the cellar and that group is the DETROIT LIONS. I am guessing they will be there till they lastly win a sport.
If you wish to know the place your favourite group ended up in Prisco’s Week 9 Power Rankings, be sure to click here. If you wish to argue with Prisco over his rankings, you can do that on Twitter by clicking here. I argue with him on a regular basis about all the pieces.
3. Breech’s Week 9 picks
It is Tuesday, and that may solely imply one factor: It is time for my weekly picks.
If you wish to ignore my picks at the moment, I will not blame you and that is as a result of I went 6-9 final week. It was an unpleasant week, though I feel it ought to have an asterisk subsequent to it as a result of it would not have occurred if cats did not exist. I went 0-4 choosing cat groups. Dumb cats. If Joe Decide can blame headsets for his loss to the Chiefs then I can blame cats for my dangerous week.
With that in thoughts, listed here are three of my picks for Week 9 and I am clearly a masochist as a result of I am going proper again to choosing cat groups.
- Cleveland at Cincinnati (-3): Since Baker Mayfield’s harm, the Browns offense has been nothing wanting a catastrophe. Over the previous three weeks, the Browns have scored 14, 17 and 10 factors, and that 17-point efficiency did not even come from Baker as a result of it got here in the one sport that Case Keenum began. Not with the ability to rating is form of a giant deal in a sport the place your entire goal is to outscore the opposite group. I am taking the Bengals. PICK: Bengals 23-20 over Browns.
- Minnesota at Baltimore (-5.5): Since taking on the Ravens beginning QB job in 2018, Lamar Jackson has began 11 video games towards NFC groups and he as gone 11-0 in these video games, which implies I shall be choosing the Ravens in each sport they play towards an NFC group going ahead till they really lose one. PICK: Ravens 30-20 over Vikings.
- Arizona at San Francisco (+2.5): The final time these two groups performed in Week 5, the 49ers did not have Jimmy Garoppolo or George Kittle they usually nonetheless virtually gained (They misplaced 17-10). This time round, not solely will each of these guys seemingly be on the sphere, however Kyler Murray is coping with an ankle harm and that is going to remove a few of his mobility, which is clearly a key a part of his sport. I feel the 49ers are going to be determined and I feel they will pull off the upset. PICK: 49ers 27-24 over Cardinals.
4. One factor we discovered about every group in Week 8
Now that each one 15 video games from Week 8 have been performed, CBS Sports activities’ Cody Benjamin determined to wade by way of the aftermath to determine what we discovered about every group.
This is a have a look at what we discovered about 5 groups:
- Ravens: They may wish to search for some offensive line assist earlier than the commerce deadline. “The Bengals, Browns and particularly Steelers all boast scary items up entrance, and this division remains to be tight on the halfway level.”
- Panthers: Stephon Gilmore makes the protection higher. “Their protection got here again to life in a shock rout of the Falcons. Let’s have a look at what occurs at QB shifting ahead, with Sam Darnold now banged up.”
- Browns: It does not really feel like this group goes to win the AFC North. “At 4-4, they are not out of it. However they’re additionally on the backside of the division, and every week, totally different vets — Baker Mayfield, Jarvis Landry, and so forth. — take turns undermining their probabilities.”
- Lions: They may really go 0-17. “Dan Campbell bought loads of credit score regardless of their 0-7 begin, however they had been completely lifeless towards the Eagles, bowing down on either side of the ball.”
- Vikings: It looks like Mike Zimmer is on the recent seat. “Shedding to Cooper Rush at house? Taking part in it secure towards a susceptible Dallas ‘D’? Issues might get actually ugly over the following few weeks.”
If you wish to see the one factor we discovered about every of the 25 different groups that played in Week 8, you can check out Cody’s entire story by clicking here.
5. Steelers commerce Melvin Ingram to the Chiefs
With the Chiefs in dire want of some assistance on the defensive aspect of the ball, they had been broadly anticipated to be trying so as to add some gamers earlier than at the moment’s commerce deadline they usually made their first transfer by including Melvin Ingram.
This is a have a look at the main points of the deal:
Chiefs get: Melvin Ingram
Steelers get: 2022 sixth-round decide (via NFL.com)
It was reported over the weekend that Ingram wished out of Pittsburgh, so it isn’t an enormous shock to see him get traded. The one shock right here is that the Steelers despatched him to an AFC rival, which principally tells you ways badly Pittsburgh wished to do away with him. Though Ingram did not do a lot with the Steelers this yr, he nonetheless would possibly be capable of assist enhance a Chiefs’ pass-rush that has been one of many worst within the NFL.
One upside to including Ingram is that he is extraordinarily aware of each group within the AFC West since he spent the primary 9 seasons of his profession with the Chargers. Ingram had one sack and 6 QB hits in six video games with the Steelers this yr.
This may not be the one commerce to go down at the moment and as I discussed on the prime, if you wish to preserve observe of each deal that goes down earlier than at the moment’s 4 p.m. deadline, then ensure to observe along in our live blog by clicking here. And you may try our grades for each deadline commerce here.
6. Speedy-fire roundup
It has been a busy 24 hours within the NFL, and because it’s practically not possible to maintain observe of all the pieces that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Adrian Peterson indicators with the Titans. After dropping Derrick Henry for the season, the Titans have decided to fill his shoes by signing Adrian Peterson. If Peterson has any gasoline left within the tank, this might find yourself being an excellent signing. The 36-year-old operating again rushed for 604 yards and 7 touchdowns whereas enjoying for the Lions final season.
- Saints not going so as to add a QB. With Jameis Winston out for the season, do not search for the Saints to herald anybody to exchange him. Saints coach Sean Payton hinted that he’ll seemingly be sticking with the quarterbacks on his roster saying that it would be a “challenge” to bring someone else in at this level.
- Russell Wilson trying like he’ll be on the sphere for the Seahawks‘ subsequent sport. Lower than 4 weeks after present process surgical procedure, Wilson had the pin faraway from his finger, setting the stage for a potential return in Week 10. The Seahawks have a Week 9 bye, which implies Wilson’s finger may have one other week to heal earlier than he’ll doubtlessly need to play. Seattle’s subsequent sport will are available in Week 10 towards the Packers, so it goes with out saying that the Seahawks might actually use him on the sphere as quickly as potential.
- Ravens linebacker shot over the weekend. Malik Harrison, who has began 5 video games at linebacker for Baltimore this season, was hit by a stray bullet over the weekend. Harrison was hit within the left calf, however is predicted to be OK, in accordance with Ravens coach John Harbaugh.
- Browns lose their beginning proper deal with. Browns coach Kevin Stefanski introduced on Monday that proper deal with Jack Conklin will not be on the sphere for the following few weeks as a result of a dislocated elbow that he suffered throughout Cleveland’s loss to the Steelers. Conklin has already missed two video games this season and now, he will miss extra. The hits preserve coming for a Browns group that is attempting to make consecutive playoff appearances for the primary time in additional than 30 years.
- Odell’s dad calls out Baker Mayfield. Odell Beckham Sr. determined to make a montage of on a regular basis Mayfield has missed on throws to Beckham Jr. this yr and you can check it out by clicking here. I feel we will all agree that having your quarterback known as out by a receiver’s dad on the day of the commerce deadline undoubtedly is not one thing the Browns wished to see at the moment .
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/nfl-week-9-picks-plus-priscos-power-rankings-and-tracking-every-move-before-trade-deadline/ | NFL Week 9 picks, plus Prisco’s Energy Rankings and monitoring each transfer earlier than commerce deadline