Welcome to the Friday version of the Decide Six E-newsletter!
When you fell asleep in the course of the first half of the Thursday night time sport, let me be the primary to say that I do not blame you. I additionally do not blame you for those who’re a Broncos fan who cried your self to sleep.
The sport wasn’t precisely a barn burner: The Browns have been lacking half their workforce as a result of accidents and the Broncos performed like a workforce that was lacking half their workforce as a result of accidents regardless that they weren’t. There have been solely 10 factors scored in the whole first half and none of these got here from the Broncos.
When you did not go to sleep in the course of the sport, you then obtained to see the NFL coming-out get together for Browns operating again D’Earnest Johnson, who nearly single-handedly led Cleveland to a 17-14 win.
So what did Johnson do? We’ll be masking that plus much more in right this moment’s publication, so let’s get to the rundown.
Bear in mind, your job this weekend is to get as many individuals you already know to enroll in the publication. To get your mates to enroll, all it’s a must to do is click here and then share this link with them.
1. In the present day’s present: Recapping the Browns’ win over the Broncos
This was positively one of many weirdest prime-time video games of the yr. The scoreboard will inform you that this sport was shut, however for those who watched, it nearly felt like a blowout. The Browns have been in management the whole sport and at no level did it actually really feel just like the Broncos have been going to have the ability to win.
Regardless of the Broncos’ struggles, the sport was nonetheless considerably entertaining, form of just like the podcast we recorded afterward. In right this moment’s episode, we lined each side of Cleveland’s win over Denver. When you missed the sport, this is a fast rehash of what occurred and what we talked about on the podcast
- D’Earnest Johnson goes off. With half of Cleveland’s offense out on Thursday night time as a result of accidents, the Browns turned to Johnson and though relying in your third-string operating again to hold your offense is one thing that just about by no means works, it positively ended up figuring out for the Browns. Johnson gashed up the Broncos’ protection for 146 yards and a TD on simply 22 carries (that is 6.63 yards per carry for those who’re scoring at house). Johnson’s dashing whole was the fifth-highest by any NFL participant in a single sport this season. General, Johnson totaled 168 yards in opposition to Denver. In a must-win state of affairs on a prime-time stage, Johnson got here via for the Browns.
- Broncos fell flat on their faces within the first half. The Broncos have been so unhealthy on offense to begin the sport that I’d imagine you for those who informed me that they did not apply this week. On their 4 possessions within the first half, they went three-and-out 3 times and on the one possession that did not finish with a three-and-out, Teddy Bridgewater threw an interception. The Broncos totaled simply 76 yards within the first half, which is even worse when you think about that 31 of that got here on one play. Though issues barely improved for the Broncos within the second half, they trailed 10-0 at halftime and simply have been by no means in a position to dig themselves out of that gap.
- Case Keenum made one of many greatest performs of the sport. The Browns quarterback did not make very many spectacular performs together with his arm on Thursday, however he did make one nice play together with his legs that was arguably the most important play of the sport. With the Browns main 10-7 within the third quarter, they confronted a fourth-and-3 from Denver’s 6-yard line. As an alternative of kicking a discipline aim, coach Kevin Stefanski determined to go for it. The choice nearly backfired, however Keenum ended up saving the day with a 5-yard scramble the place he bulled over a Broncos defender. The Browns would rating a TD only one play later and that rating principally iced the win. If Keenum would not rating there, the Broncos would have gotten the ball again with an opportunity to take the lead, however that did not occur because of Keenum’s uncommon scramble. To place his inconceivable 5-yard run into perspective, he rushed for 7 yards on 4 carries within the sport, which implies he solely totaled 2 yards on his different three carries.
To hear/watch right this moment’s episode on YouTube, be sure to click here (Significantly, you may WATCH the podcast). You can also check out our takeaways from the game by clicking here.
2. In the present day’s present Half II: Finest bets for Week 7
The perfect half about Friday — moreover the truth that it is Friday — is that you simply get two episodes of the podcast in your feed. After the recap of the Thursday sport, Brinson politely requested me and Ryan Wilson to depart in order that he might herald Pete Prisco and R.J. White for a dialogue about their greatest bets for Week 7.
Truly, Brinson did not politely ask us to depart, I believe he may need truly banned us from the podcast as a result of he was bored with us making enjoyable of him for his picks report final week (Brinson went 2-12 in opposition to the unfold in Week 6. Yikes.).
Anyway, the blokes spent practically 60 minutes going over the very best bets for each single sport being performed in Week 7 and we will cowl three from every man beneath. Final week was their ugliest one of many season with all three guys going a mixed 2-7. That marked the primary time all season that the three have had a mixed report underneath .500.
Will Brinson (1-2 final week in picks featured right here)
Patriots (-7) to cowl in opposition to the Jets
Chiefs (-4.5) to cowl in opposition to the Titans
Eagles (+3) to cowl in opposition to the Raiders
R.J. White (1-2 final week in picks featured right here)
Ravens (-6.5) to cowl in opposition to the Bengals
Dolphins (+2.5) to cowl in opposition to the Falcons
Seahawks (+4.5) to cowl in opposition to the Saints
The three guys even have a parlay they like that pays out +595 and that parlay is:
- Patriots (-7) to cowl in opposition to the Jets
- Giants (+3) to cowl in opposition to the Panthers
- Chiefs at Titans OVER 57.5
That parlay pays out $595 on a $100 guess.
To listen to what the remainder of the very best bets are for Week 7 — and there are fairly a number of — you should definitely click on right here so that you can listen to the entire episode of the podcast. You can even watch the trio give out their picks on YouTube by clicking here.
3. Congress needs emails and different details about NFL’s investigation into the Washington Soccer workforce
The NFL’s lack of transparency throughout its investigation of the Washington Soccer workforce has caught the attention of Congress. The league uncovered greater than 650,000 emails in the course of the investigation, however none of these have been made public, aside from those that leaked out, which included the emails that led to the resignation of Raiders coach Jon Gruden.
As a result of multitude of questions that also stay concerning the investigation, two members of Congress have written a letter to Roger Goodell demanding that the league provide Congress with the findings of the investigation. Proper now, we do not actually know something concerning the investigation as a result of the league did not also have a written report on the state of affairs, which is a bit bizarre contemplating this is identical league that had a 243-page report accomplished on Deflategate.
Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-New York), who’s the Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, and Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-Illinois) despatched a five-page letter to Goodell asking him to show over all of the pertinent info by Nov. 4.
“The NFL has one of the vital outstanding platforms in America, and its choices can have nationwide implications,” the committee chairs wrote. “The NFL’s lack of transparency concerning the issues it just lately uncovered elevate questions concerning the seriousness with which it has addressed bigotry, racism, sexism, and homophobia — setting troubling precedent for different workplaces.”
Right here are some things the committee chairs need the NFL to show over by Nov. 4
- All paperwork and communications obtained in reference to the investigation into the WFT, its administration, its homeowners, and every other matter regarding or ensuing from the WFT investigation.
- All studies or findings made in reference to investigations into the WFT, together with however not restricted to semi-annual studies from the WFT, and all paperwork and notes referring or regarding any oral studies and findings.
- All NFL insurance policies and procedures referring or regarding using confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements by the NFL and its groups.
The committee additionally needs to know why the NFL determined to supervise the investigation, which was run by legal professional Beth Wilkinson. The group additionally wish to know what Jeff Pash’s position was within the investigation. Pash is a lead NFL legal professional who appeared to have a chummy relationship with then-Washington president Bruce Allen.
“The Committee is looking for to totally perceive this office conduct and the league’s response, which can assist inform legislative efforts to deal with poisonous work environments and office investigation
processes; strengthen protections for ladies within the office; and handle using nondisclosure agreements to forestall the disclosure of illegal employment practices, together with sexual harassment.”
The NFL hasn’t stated if it is going to comply, but when it would not, you may guess issues will get much more fascinating come Nov. 4.
4. NFL Week 7 picks
That is the ultimate publication of the week, which implies I really feel morally obligated to cram as many picks as attainable into this house. I as soon as crammed 71 beers right into a mini-fridge whereas I used to be in school, so I do know I am good at cramming.
With that in thoughts, we have got some Week 7 picks coming your means and people will probably be coming from Will Brinson, Tom Fornelli and Jonathan Jones together with CBSSports.com writers Jordan Dajani and Tyler Sullivan.
Here is how issues are going to work: I will provide you with one choose from every man after which direct you to the remainder of their picks. That means, for those who like their choose, you can learn the remainder of them, but when they choose in opposition to your favourite workforce, you may ignore the remainder of their picks and transfer on.
- Will Brinson: Patriots 24-10 over Jets (New England covers -7). “Invoice Belichick and the Pats are down within the dumps. Will that stop them from thrashing a nasty Jets workforce twice this season? Nope. Belichick’s report in opposition to rookie/younger quarterbacks speaks for itself. A lot of Pats discipline objectives and an analogous sport to the primary one, which New England received 25-6.” For the rest of Brinson’s Week 7 picks, be sure to click here.
- Jonathan Jones: Raiders over Eagles (Las Vegas -150 moneyline). “The Eagles had the bye to suppose on issues, however sadly a bye will not clear up Jalen Hurts‘ accuracy. I used to be impressed with the Raiders’ resolve final week in opposition to Denver and I believe they roll right here.” For the remainder of Jones’ Week 7 picks, plus his insider notebook, be sure to click here.
- Tom Fornelli: Panthers 21-20 over Giants (New York covers +3.5). “A part of the rationale I’ve accomplished so nicely this season is that I am prepared to eat my greens when so many others aren’t. No, it isn’t enjoyable to guess on the New York Giants, however do you wish to guess on the Panthers as highway favorites? Carolina will probably be with out Christian McCaffrey once more this weekend, and it has misplaced three straight after beginning 3-0.” For the remainder of Fornelli’s Week 7 best bets, be sure to click here. Fornelli solely offers out three picks per week and is 12-6 on the yr together with his greatest bets.
- Jordan Dajani: Ravens 30-23 over Bengals (Baltimore covers -6.5). “I believe this Ravens workforce is without doubt one of the greatest within the NFL. Not solely is Lamar Jackson a official MVP candidate, however the protection has been higher than anticipated. The Ravens are 15-4 at house because the begin of the 2019 season. Solely the Green Bay Packers have a greater house report throughout that span (16-2).” For the rest of Dajani’s Week 7 picks, be sure to click here.
- Tyler Sullivan: Colts 24-21 over 49ers (Indianapolis covers +4). “Do not look now, however Carson Wentz is beginning to get scorching. Over his final three video games, he is finishing practically 69% of his passes, averaging roughly 285 yards via the air and has six touchdowns with zero interceptions. San Francisco’s bread and butter on offense is operating the soccer, and stopping the run is what the Colts do greatest” For the rest of Sullivan’s Week 7 picks, be sure to click here.
5. Baker Mayfield’s harm is extra critical than initially thought
After taking part in with an injured shoulder for 4 straight weeks, Baker Mayfield lastly missed a sport on Thursday night time and the rationale he missed it’s as a result of the harm was extra critical than initially thought.
Here is what Baker is coping with and when he may be again:
- Mayfield fractured his humerus bone. Not solely is Mayfield coping with a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder however he additionally fractured the humerus bone, according to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports. Mayfield informed Glazer that the fracture goes to have to “heal” before the QB can return to the sphere.
- When will Baker be again on the sphere? This is not a simple query to reply. In line with former NFL physician David Chao, that is the kind of harm that could keep someone out for a month, however there’s additionally an opportunity that Mayfield might play in Week 8 in opposition to the Steelers (Mayfield informed Glazer he needs to be on the sphere). Mayfield had been carrying a harness on his shoulder the previous few weeks and that harness might make it protected sufficient for him to play, even with the fracture humerus bone.
- Kevin Stefanski gives zero particulars. The Browns coach was requested about Mayfield’s harm after Thursday’s win and he principally ducked the query, “I’m not going to get into specifics of Baker’s harm presently,” Stefanski stated, via Cleveland.com. “He’s one other man who’s combating, and he will probably be again on the market as quickly as he can.”
Saying Mayfield will probably be again “as quickly as he can” would not actually assist for those who’re attempting to determine a possible return timeline. Proper now, it looks like the best-case situation is that he returns on Halloween for Cleveland’s sport in opposition to the Steelers whereas absolutely the worst-case situation would most likely have him again in mid-November. The issue with returning too early is that there will probably be the next probability that Mayfield might worsen the harm like he did in opposition to the Cardinals, which might maintain him out even longer.
6. NFL insider pocket book: Deshaun Watson derby is down to at least one workforce, Odell Beckham commerce eventualities
With the NFL commerce deadline lower than two weeks away, there are going to be plenty of rumors flying round between now and the deadline day of Nov. 2.
With that in thoughts, let’s check out a few of the juiciest tidbits that CBS Sports activities NFL Insider Jonathan Jones needed to provide in his newest insider pocket book.
Just one workforce is within the Deshaun Watson derby. “The Dolphins have “been bidding in opposition to themselves” as one league supply put it, since they’re the one workforce remaining within the Watson “sweepstakes” earlier than the Nov. 2 commerce deadline. Sources have informed me Watson would not be keen on Philadelphia and the ship to Carolina sailed earlier than the beginning of the season. Watson is both a Dolphin by the commerce deadline or he’ll stay a Texan till the beginning of the brand new league yr in March.”
Conclusion: Watson has a no-trade clause, which implies if he would not wish to play in Carolina or Philly, then a commerce is not going to occur. As Jones notes, this implies Watson is both going to be taking part in for the Texans or Dolphins this yr.
Odell Beckham commerce eventualities. “There are many the reason why the Browns would not commerce Odell Beckham Jr. earlier than the Nov. 2 deadline… However the one situation I can see the place Beckham is shipped off is that if a contending workforce (ideally within the NFC) loses their No. 1 broad receiver to harm for a big time frame. That may be sufficient for a workforce to name the Browns and be prepared to roll the cube on Beckham together with his well being plus wage. The Browns aren’t impatiently ready for that decision, although. I do not get the sense they’re making or getting calls about Beckham, and I imagine they will be wonderful if that is the case via the second afternoon of November.”
Conclusion: Though there’s been plenty of commerce hypothesis relating to Odell, do not search for him to get dealt except a workforce on the market will get determined and makes the Browns a suggestion for Odell that they cannot refuse.
So what NFL picks are you able to make with confidence? And which Super Bowl contender goes down exhausting? Visit SportsLine to see which teams win and cover the spread, all from a proven computer model that has returned almost $7,700 since its inception, and discover out.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/nfl-week-7-picks-and-best-bets-plus-congress-might-look-into-nfl-emails-and-recapping-browns-big-win/ | NFL Week 7 picks and greatest bets, plus Congress would possibly look into NFL emails and recapping Browns’ massive win