I am not going to say that this yr goes to be probably the most thrilling yr that the NFL has ever produced, however even NFC EAST video games are thrilling this season, so I am beginning to assume that this yr is perhaps probably the most thrilling one which the NFL has ever produced.
Final yr, each NFC East recreation was principally an unwatchable catastrophe, so I did not precisely have excessive hopes for Thursday’s recreation, however then we have been all handled to a nice shock: The Giants and Washington performed a thriller that wasn’t determined till Dustin Hopkins hit a 43-yard discipline aim with no time left to present the Soccer Group a 30-29 win.
The craziest half concerning the kick is that Hopkins really missed his first try at successful the sport, however he bought a second shot as a result of the Giants jumped offsides* (I am utilizing an asterisk there as a result of it was an in depth name and I am nonetheless not 100% certain it was offsides. The blokes over at Pro Football Talk feel the same way, so I do not assume I am utterly loopy. You can see a clip of the offsides by clicking here).
The fourth quarter was whole chaos with the 2 groups combining for 5 discipline targets and a landing. There have been additionally three lead-changes within the ultimate 4:33 of the sport. We’ll be speaking about Washington’s win in right now’s publication plus providing you with your weekly dose of picks, so let’s get to the rundown.
Bear in mind, your job this weekend is to get as many individuals to enroll in the publication. To get your mates to enroll, all it’s important to do is click here and then share this link with them. Alright, let’s get to the rundown.
1. At the moment’s present: Recapping Washington’s wild win over the Giants
Final yr, attempting to look at any recreation involving an NFC East group was virtually insufferable and that is largely as a result of all of the groups have been so dangerous. I am unsure what’s modified in 2021, however swiftly, the NFC East is my favourite division within the NFL. Final week, the Cowboys gave us an sudden thriller towards the Buccaneers, and this week, Washington and New York did the identical.
As a matter of reality, the one factor extra thrilling than the sport was the podcast we recorded after the sport. In right now’s episode of the podcast, we recapped the Washington’s wild win over the Giants. If you happen to missed the sport, this is a fast rehash of what occurred and what we talked about on the podcast:
- Taylor Heinicke was almost unstoppable. With Heinicke making simply the second begin of his profession, nobody actually had any concept what to anticipate, but when Thursday’s recreation was any indication, Washington might need discovered its quarterback of the longer term. Not solely did Heinicke throw for 336 yards and two touchdowns, he additionally got here up clutch each time Washington wanted it. On the Soccer Group’s three TD drives within the recreation, Heinicke mixed to go 15 of 15 for 211 yards. He additionally led Washington 50 yards down the sphere within the ultimate two minutes to arrange Dustin Hopkin’s game-winning 43-yard discipline aim. Heinicke did have one ugly interception within the fourth quarter, nevertheless it did not finish costing Washington the sport, so we cannot maintain it towards him.
- Giants shoot themselves within the foot a number of instances. No group is best at capturing themselves within the foot than the New York Giants they usually lived as much as their repute on Thursday. The Giants made a number of errors on this recreation. Probably the most notable one got here when Dexter Lawrence jumped offsides on the game-winning field goal attempt. Dustin Hopkins really MISSED the kick from 48 yards away, however he made the second after the five-yard penalty was enforced. Different errors included: Darius Slayton dropping a wide open TD pass in the fourth quarter that might have iced the sport. The Giants additionally bought zero factors on a drive that reached Washington’s 27-yard line. The explanation for that’s as a result of they bought known as for a false begin AFTER CALLING a timeout, which was adopted by Daniel Jones getting sacked for a loss. Additionally, a 58-yard TD run by Jones bought known as again resulting from holding. This undoubtedly felt like a recreation the Giants merely threw away.
- Daniel Jones virtually willed the Giants to a win. When the Giants lose, it is often as a result of Jones fumbled the sport away, but when there’s one group he at all times appears to play nicely towards, it is Washington. Going into Thursday, Jones had a 4-0 profession file towards the Soccer Group and he virtually made it 5-0. Not solely did Jones throw for 249 yards and a landing, he additionally completed as the sport’s main rusher with 95 yards and one other landing. Sadly for Jones, the Giants determined to not actually use him on their ultimate drive, which might be why it ended with a discipline aim as a substitute of a TD. For his or her ultimate offensive possession, the Giants began on Washington’s 20-yard line after a James Bradberry INT of Heinicke. The Giants determined to play for a discipline aim by operating the ball on each first and second down.
To take heed to right now’s episode — and to subscribe to one of the best day by day NFL podcast on the market — be sure to click here. You too can check out our takeaways from the game by clicking here.
2. At the moment’s present Half II: Greatest bets for Week 2
One of the best half about Friday — apart from the truth that it is Friday — is that you simply get two episodes of the podcast in your feed. After the recap of the Thursday recreation, Brinson politely requested me and Ryan Wilson to go away in order that he might usher in Pete Prisco and R.J. White for a dialogue about their greatest bets for Week 2.
Truly, Brinson did not politely ask us to go away, he had our web disconnected. How did he know who gives my web? I do not know.
Anyway, the blokes spent almost 60 minutes going over one of the best bets for each single recreation being performed in Week 2 and we’ll cowl three from every man beneath.
The three guys even have a parlay they like that pays out +595 and that parlay is:
- Bears (-2.5) to cowl towards Bengals
- Steelers (-5.5) to cowl towards Raiders
- Raiders and Raiders at Steelers UNDER 47
That parlay can pay out $595 on a $100 wager. Nevertheless, I will not be making that wager as a result of I feel the Bengals are going to win on Sunday.
To listen to what the remainder of one of the best bets are for Week 2 — and there are fairly just a few — make sure you click on right here so that you can listen to the entire episode of the podcast.
3. Colts to headline revamped model of ‘Exhausting Knocks’
If NFL followers had one grievance about “Exhausting Knocks” this yr, it is that the present had gotten somewhat stale, which wasn’t all that stunning, contemplating that present has now been on for 20 years. To spice issues up, HBO and NFL Movies are teaming as much as unveil a new IN-SEASON version of “Exhausting Knocks” that can function the Indianapolis Colts.
This is why I just like the Colts as the selection right here:
- Carson Wentz goes so as to add some drama. The Colts have excessive expectations this yr and an enormous purpose for that’s due to the large commerce they made for Wentz. Up to now, it has been a tough begin for Wentz. Not solely did he must bear foot surgical procedure throughout coaching camp, however he additionally spent a while on the COVID record resulting from the truth that he is unvaccinated. If the Colts wrestle this yr, followers in Indy are going responsible him and it will likely be fascinating to see how he responds since he was notoriously delicate whereas in Philadelphia.
- Jim Irsay is the Jerry Jones of the AFC. The Colts proprietor does not get as a lot publicity as Jones, however he undoubtedly likes to speak as a lot as his Cowboys counterpart. Will probably be fascinating to see how Irsay reacts to the season, particularly if the Colts begin to wrestle or in the event that they lose a recreation due to a foul teaching determination by Frank Reich.
- Behind the scenes of an everyday season week. Watching these groups undergo coaching camp bought monotonous on the older model of “Exhausting Knocks,” however that should not be the case with this model. Going by way of an everyday season week is much more fascinating as a result of the Colts might be game-planning for his or her subsequent opponent. To not point out, we’ll see the aftermath of any powerful losses, which also needs to be fascinating.
The present will premiere on Nov. 17 after which air each Wednesday by way of the top of the Colts’ season, which implies this factor might go all the best way till February if the the Colts make it to the Super Bowl.
4. NFL Week 2 picks
That is the ultimate publication of the week, which implies I really feel morally obligated to cram as many picks as doable into this house. I as soon as crammed 9 pancakes into my abdomen at IHOP so I do know I am good at cramming.
With that in thoughts, we have got 5 extra Week 1 picks coming your manner and people might be coming from Will Brinson and CBS Sports activities NFL Insider Jonathan Jones together with CBSSports.com author Jordan Dajani.
This is how issues are going to work: I will offer you one choose from every man after which direct you to the remainder of their picks. That manner, should you like their choose, you’ll learn the remainder of them, but when they choose towards your favourite group, you possibly can ignore the remainder of their picks and transfer on.
- Will Brinson: Payments (-3) 35-17 over Dolphins. Since being employed as coach of the Dolphins, Brian Flores is 0-4 towards the Payments and Brinson thinks that he’ll drop to 0-5 in a blowout loss. I agree. For the remainder of Brinson’s Week 2 picks, be sure to click here.
- Jonathan Jones: Bengals over Bears. From Jones, “I am a Bengals group that lastly received an in depth recreation underneath Zac Taylor and is constructing confidence. A group the place Joe Mixon leads the league in damaged tackles after Week 1 with six. And a Cincy group that is going through a Bears protection that allowed factors on six of seven drives final Sunday night time.” For the remainder of Jones’ Week 2 picks, be sure to click here.
- Jordan Dajani: Seahawks (-5.5) 31-24 over Titans. After struggling towards Kyler Murray, the Titans protection now has to face Russell Wilson in Seattle, which is not very best, as a result of Wilson has by no means misplaced a home-opener (9-0). For the remainder of Dajani’s Week 2 picks, be sure to click here.
5. Tom Brady may play till he is 50
Tom Brady has been saying for years that he plans on enjoying within the NFL till he is 45 years previous, however now that he is only one yr away from reaching that age, it appears that he’s come up with a new goal: 50.
Brady revealed that information through the newest episode of the “Tommy & Gronky,” which is a present I did not know existed earlier than yesterday and now that I do find out about it, I will be watching each episode for the remainder of time. Principally, the present is simply Brady and Rob Gronkowski sitting round and answering questions from followers.
This is what we realized from the episode:
- Brady on enjoying till 50. “I do not discover it so troublesome. Plus, in Florida, it is sort of a retiree state, so I really feel like I can play after which simply glide into retirement. I feel I can. I feel it is a sure.”
- Would Gisele really let Brady play till he is 50? “That is a manner higher query. That was in fact, no, that reply…. I am simply kidding. I am sorry child, I really like you. You’ll let me. You’ll let me doing something so long as I am comfortable.”
So principally, Brady might find yourself enjoying till he is 50, however two issues must occur: Gisele must be on board with the choice and Brady has to have the ability to play at a excessive stage. The 44-year-old said during the offseason that he’ll hold enjoying so long as he thinks he is adequate to assist his group win a Tremendous Bowl.
6. Fast-fire roundup
It has been a busy 24 hours within the NFL and because it’s almost unattainable to maintain observe of all the things that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Britt Reid’s DWI trial set for April 18, 2022. The son of Chiefs coach Andy Reid might be headed to court in April to be tried on a felony cost of driving whereas intoxicated. Reid, who had a BAC of .113, hit two automobiles and left a five-year-old woman with a traumatic mind harm throughout a crash again in February. The previous Chiefs assistant is going through as much as seven years in jail.
- Will Fuller out for Week 2 and could possibly be out longer. The Dolphins receiver will not be enjoying this week resulting from a private challenge, based on coach Brian Flores. The Dolphins coach additionally declined to say whether or not Fuller would return to the group this season in any respect, in accordance to the Palm Beach Post.
- Jets getting Jamison Crowder again. The Jets offense might get a spark this week with the return of Jamison Crowder. The receiver missed New York’s Week 1 recreation towards the Panthers after testing constructive for COVID on Sept. 3.
- Jets lose Mekhi Becton to knee harm. There’s lastly some readability on how lengthy the Jets might be lacking their second-year left sort out. Becton, who dislocated his kneecap in Week 1, is anticipated to overlook miss four to six weeks, which implies he may not be again on the sphere till Week 8.
- Bengals receiver altering his quantity. In case you have plans to purchase a Tee Higgins jersey anytime quickly, you may need to maintain off. Higgins is at present No. 85 in Cincinnati, however he is planning on making a change to No. 5 for 2022. Yow will discover out why he is making the change by clicking here.
- Browns are historic favorites. The Browns are favored by 12.5 factors this week, which is notable, as a result of the Browns are by no means favored by 12.5 factors. Properly, virtually by no means. This recreation will mark the primary time since 1995 that the Browns have been favored by 12.5 or more. Since returning to the NFL in 1999, probably the most the Browns have ever been favored by is 11.5.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/nfl-week-2-picks-and-best-bets-plus-recapping-washingtons-wild-win-over-giants-colts-on-new-hard-knocks/ | NFL Week 2 picks and greatest bets, plus recapping Washington’s wild win over Giants; Colts on new ‘Exhausting Knocks’