My mother-in-law changed her will and left everything to her second husband. Can her children contest the will?

Pricey Quentin,

We reside in Kentucky, the place my mother-in-law not too long ago handed away. Previous to her present marriage seven years in the past, my husband, her oldest youngster, was named as her executor. The need was easy and acknowledged that every little thing can be divided evenly between her three youngsters. Now we have now found that she modified her will and left every little thing to her second husband. 

The one point out of her youngsters on this newest will was naming my husband as a secondary executor. Understandably, there may be nice harm amongst her youngsters that they weren’t even talked about within the will. As not too long ago as final spring, she advised her youngsters that the holiday residence can be theirs and that she wished to assist them out when she handed. 

There may be an costly trip residence and quite a few retirement accounts at stake. A number of relations acknowledged that the desire can be invalid for leaving nothing to the youngsters, and are pushing the youngsters to contest the desire. I’m afraid it would do extra hurt than good. What would you suggest?


You’ll be able to e-mail The Moneyist with any monetary and moral questions associated to coronavirus at, and observe Quentin Fottrell on Twitter.

Pricey Daughter-in-Legislation,

A will can usually be contested on one among three grounds: lack of testamentary capability (on this case, of your mother-in-law), undue affect from a member of the family (or her second husband) and improper execution.

The latter is usually the simplest and commonest means a will is contested and/or overturned. On this case, your mother-in-law didn’t point out her youngsters within the will to particularly disinherit them.

An individual will typically state they intend to disinherit Tom, Dick and Jane, or alternatively, depart them a small quantity, however state that they’ll forfeit even that small quantity within the occasion they contest the desire. 

In a state of affairs similar to this, your mother-in-law’s youngsters may argue that their absence was an omission, and if she had supposed to disinherit her youngsters she would have acknowledged that explicitly.

To be deemed legitimate in Kentucky, a typed final will and testomony should be signed within the presence of two credible witnesses. It should even be made on a tough copy, not an audio, video or digital file.

“If there was a earlier will, and also you are actually making a brand new one, you must make sure you state that you’re revoking the earlier will,” in accordance with Scheynost Law Offices in Louisville, Ky.

“At a minimal, care needs to be taken to ensure the brand new will ‘suits in’ with the outdated will,” the regulation agency states. “Usually, it’s simpler to easily revoke earlier variations and begin over.”

Beneath Kentucky regulation, a partner has certain rights to inherit property from his/her partner, along with these belongings held collectively by each spouses similar to vehicles and property. Discuss to a lawyer about your choices.

Truthful warning: contesting a will is usually a extended and costly course of.

By emailing your questions, you conform to having them printed anonymously on MarketWatch. By submitting your story to Dow Jones & Firm, the writer of MarketWatch, you perceive and agree that we might use your story, or variations of it, in all media and platforms, together with by way of third events.

Try the Moneyist private Facebook group, the place we search for solutions to life’s thorniest cash points. Readers write in to me with all kinds of dilemmas. Publish your questions, inform me what you wish to know extra about, or weigh in on the most recent Moneyist columns.

The Moneyist regrets he can’t reply to questions individually.

Extra from Quentin Fottrell:

‘I just don’t trust my sister’: How do I gift money to my nieces without their mother having access to it?
We’re getting married and have a baby on the way. My wife has offered to pay off my $10,000 student debt and $7,500 car loan
I have three children. I quitclaimed my house to my most responsible son. Now he has blocked my calls
My brother-in-law died, leaving his house in a mess. His landlord wants me to repaint and replace the carpet. What should we do? | My mother-in-law modified her will and left every little thing to her second husband. Can her youngsters contest the desire?


Inter Reviewed is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button