Johns announced on Instagram that their UFC fight on ESPN 26 has been scrapped after someone in Dos Santos’ camp tested positive for COVID-19. The UFC has yet to make an official announcement as of this writing.
Here’s what Johns has to say in his post:
I deeply regret that I have to inform you all that I will not be fighting tonight. My opponent/camp tested positive for covid so the fight is over.
I want to wish him a speedy recovery, wanted to thank the UFC for the opportunity but mainly wanted to apologize to everyone who was looking forward to seeing me fight today.
I promise you there’s nothing I’d rather do than put on a show for you tonight. Thank you all for the love and support. It really means the world to me. I hope to have some fighting news for you soon but in the meantime we will stay focused and stay positive. Let’s keep moving forward!
Johns (11-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) was looking to fight for the first time since October 2020 when he knocked out Kevin Natividad to recover from the first loss of his previous career.
Meanwhile, Dos Santos (21-8 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is also aiming for a second straight win after unveiling Martin Day in November 2020.
With this change, UFC on ESPN 26 will continue with the following 10 fights:
- Islam Makhachev vs Thiago Moises
- Marion Reneau vs Miesha Tate
- Mateusz Gamrot vs Jeremy Stephens
- Dustin Stoltzfus vs Rodolfo Vieira
- Gabriel Benitez vs Billy Quarantillo
- Preston Parsons vs Daniel Rodriguez
- Amanda Lemos vs. Montserrat Ruiz
- Sergey Morozov vs Khalid Taha
- Francisco Figueredo vs. Malcolm Gordon
- Alan Baudot vs Rodrigo Nascimento