Photo: NDZ / Star Max / GC Images
On Thursday, December 2, Meghan Markle celebrates legal victory after a court upheld an earlier ruling in her favor and against her publishers Daily mail. While it is likely that the court battle will continue, this decision marks a major victory for The Duchess of Sussex in her fight against British tabloids and tabloid culture in general.
“This is a victory not only for me but for anyone who has ever felt the fear of standing up for what is right.” Meghan wrote in a statement on Thursday. “While this victory is pre-established, the most important thing is that now, as a group, we are brave enough to reshape a tabloid industry in which people are ruthless and collect money. profit from the lies and the pain they create.”
This is not Meghan’s first win in this case. In February, a original summary judgment essentially finds that Associated Newspaper Limited (ANL), the publisher of Daily mail and Mail Online, invaded Meghan’s privacy by publishing excerpts of a private letter written to her father in August 2018. ANL appealed that decision, arguing that the case should be brought up. trial, but now the Court of Appeal in London has found the priority of summary judgment. “The courts have held the defendant accountable and my hope is that we all start to do the same,” Meghan wrote in her statement.
The win also means Meghan will not be forced to testify under oath on various ANL allegations, which will only increase media scrutiny of Meghan and her husband, Prince Harry. During the appeal period, the case made headlines after Jason Knauf, Meghan’s former director of communications, testified that Meghan had instructed him in a number of communications with Searching for freedom authors Carolyn Durand and Omid Scobie, which she has previously denied. Meghan admits that she talked to Knauf about some of the things she wanted to discuss with the book’s authors in a statement sent to the court in early November. “I apologize to your Honor that I couldn’t remember at the time. these exchanges. I have absolutely no desire or intention to mislead the defendant or the court,” she said in part, according to CNN.
The ANL is said to have attempted to argue that these exchange between Meghan and Knauf, as well as others imply that she foresaw that her letter to her father might be leaked to the press, meaning she did not expect privacy. It also argues that the original article, titled “Disclosure: The letter reveals the true tragedy of Meghan’s rift with a father that she says has ‘broken her heart into a million pieces’ ‘,” has press value as a previous response Everyone The article mentioned a private letter between a daughter and a father.
The court disagreed, pointing to the length of the excerpt and the framing of the personal letter in the original article. “The point is Mail on Sunday The articles focused on disclosing the letter’s contents, rather than providing Mr. Markle’s response to the attack on him in Everyone magazine,” said the presiding judge, Sir Geoffrey Vos, Master of the Rolls, in The Daily Beast. “While it may be appropriate to publish a very small portion of the letter for that purpose, it is not necessary to publish half of the letter as the affiliated newspapers have done,” the judge continued. customary.
A statement released by ANL on Thursday said the company is “considering an appeal to the Supreme Court in the United Kingdom.” However, now, Everyone reported that ANL will likely have to pay damages to Meghan and publish public apology on the front page of Mail on Sunday and on the Mail Online homepage. Since the decision was announced, Online email published two discussions of the decision, including one by Piers Morgan calling Meghan “a work of cunning manipulation.” So there is that.
Meghan may have won the battle, but fierce war.
https://www.thecut.com/2021/12/meghan-markle-wins-appeal-against-mail-online.html Meghan Markle wins online mail protest