royalist is The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things King and Royal Family. Subscribe to here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.
The row over allegations that Meghan Markle bullied staff when she was a working member of the royal family – which Meghan angrily denied at the time as a “smear campaign” – turned into a farce on Thursday after Buckingham Palace confirmed rumors it hadn’t the case was to publish a report he had commissioned on the matter, not to allow those who witnessed the report to see it, and not to publish any changes in Palace personnel policy resulting from the report.
A source said the palace would not comment further, but told The Daily Beast: “Recommendations are being followed up,” adding: “Lessons have been learned.”
The palace told The Telegraph They pulled the veil of secrecy to protect, among other things, the “confidentiality” of those who testified in the report, but there was widespread suspicion on Thursday that the Palace was actually acting to avoid upsetting Harry and Meghan.
The pair still have the power to inflict huge reputational damage on the royals. Harry’s memoir is due out in the fall and has been spotted with Oprah Winfrey in recent days, raising fears the couple may be planning another sitdown.
The bullying allegations were made in 2018 by Meghan and Harry’s communications director Jason Knauf, who wrote to their private secretary, accusing them of “completely unacceptable” behavior and claiming “that the Duchess has been able to bully two PAs from the household in the past year. ”
However, the claims only surfaced The times Days before Harry and Meghan’s big interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which they accused a member of the royal family of racism. The move was widely seen by the Palace as an “Oppo dump” to blunt or deflect the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s revelations.
The couple denied the allegations, saying Meghan was “saddened by this recent attack on her character, especially as someone who has been the target of bullying.”
Buckingham Palace said it would investigate the allegations Daily mail reports that at a briefing on Wednesday for the annual royal financial report, it was revealed that the results would never be made public, with the so-called Master of the Privy Purse, Sir Michael Stevens, saying of the inquiry: “There is nothing about that in the report. As we said last year, this work has been done privately and no money from Sovereign Grants has been spent on it.”
That post said employees who participated in the investigation “only recently discovered that it was broken up” and “are not being informed of the findings.”
A source said post: “Considering that those who participated did so for themselves at great personal and reputational risk, the fact that they were not even told what the results were is unfathomable. I am sure they will be deeply disturbed but perhaps not entirely surprised given the way things have been handled. The family seems afraid of upsetting or provoking Harry and Meghan.”
The revelation about the burial of the inquiry surfaced as the annual report on the Sovereign Grant was released. It showed the Queen’s total annual spending in 2021/22 rose by 17 per cent to £102.4m, mainly driven by major renovations at Buckingham Palace.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/meghan-markle-bullying-report-buried-by-palace-which-is-terrified-of-upsetting-or-provoking-harry-and-meghan?source=articles&via=rss Meghan Markle Buries Bullying Report From Palace Who Is ‘Afraid Of Upsetting Or Provoking Harry And Meghan’