The Chicago Bears scored simply 14 factors towards the Inexperienced Bay Packers on Sunday.
Not solely was that in need of sufficient to win, it represents the most recent indictment of Matt Nagy’s offense. Let’s face it. Whereas we didn’t assume the Bears had a 50-burger in them, it was honest to assume they’d do higher than 14 factors towards a protection ranked twentieth by Soccer Outsiders’ DVOA rankings and was with out two high cornerbacks and its finest pass-rusher.
Fourteen. Stinking. Factors.
And the way dangerous is it for Nagy? Effectively, his offense is drawing callbacks to the John Fox period.
Right here’s a snapshot of the place Nagy’s offense stands based mostly on the final three years:
• Because the begin of the 2019 season, there have been 19 video games during which the crew has put up fewer than 20 factors. That’s an ugly 50 p.c clip during which Chicago’s offense isn’t even moving into the 20s. And whereas this was the case for 56 p.c of video games performed within the Fox period, this wasn’t purported to occur with Nagy’s offense.
• The passing sport is non-existent proper now. By six video games this season, the Bears haven’t as soon as surpassed the 200-yard mark for whole yards gained by passing (a components that takes into consideration yards misplaced because of sacks). And for the reason that begin of the 2019 season, the Bears have simply 4 video games with not less than 300 whole passing yards. As some extent of comparability, Fox’s groups had 8 such video games (which is putrid in its personal proper). Nonetheless, it’s a comparability this offense ought to wish to keep away from.
• What may sting most is Chicago’s performances in vital rivalry video games. In different phrases, we’re eradicating video games towards the Lions. Not that these video games don’t depend. However to essentially perceive how dangerous issues are proper now, we have to put into focus how poorly issues are going when the Bears play the Packers and Vikings — two franchises with a more moderen run of success. Anywhoo … for the reason that 2019 season started, the Bears have put up fewer than 20 factors in 6 of the final 9 video games towards the Packers and Vikings. That’s not good. Neither is the truth that the Bears are 1-5 in these contests. That’s unacceptable.
• For what it’s value, Fox’s one win below that very same standards was towards Packers and in Inexperienced Bay. That’ll purchase some leeway from Bears backers, though not sufficient for it to be worthwhile.
• In the long run, Fox’s Bears offenses averaged 18.29 factors per sport in his three seasons as head coach. And in the event you take out the Bears’ 2018 marketing campaign, the final three years of Nagy’s offense has spit out a mean of 19.73 factors per sport. These numbers are too shut collectively for my liking. That we’re even paying homage to Fox’s time as a comparable offense ought to bug the heck out of Nagy, Ryan Tempo, and everybody in Halas Corridor.
NOTE: Now, we shouldn’t go with out mentioning the handful of video games during which Invoice Lazor was the one calling performs. It’s not solely honest to credit score him with each success the offense makes whereas dinging Nagy each time issues go unsuitable. HOWEVER, whereas it’s Lazor’s imaginative and prescient and play-calling in the mean time, in the long run, that is Matt Nagy’s accountability. His over-arching presence. And his damaged offense.
Lengthy story quick: Measuring that minimal distinction in scoring output between Fox and Nagy is bothersome. Regardless of having two first-round QBs, a Tremendous Bowl MVP QB, and a dependable veteran working his offense, Nagy’s offense has a been spinning its wheels within the mud. And it’s not like there’s a fast repair on the horizon, so what’s the transfer?
The decline in manufacturing, incapability to modernize or adapt, and an obvious resistance to place the crew’s finest gamers able to win in the end led to Fox’s ousting after the 2017 season. It was clear what wanted to be finished by way of altering philosophies and personnel on the finish of 2017. However what’s the plan when the brand new regime, with completely different gamers, places collectively an offense that produces comparable numbers?
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/10/18/matt-nagys-offense-is-veering-into-john-fox-territory/ | Matt Nagy’s Offense is Veering into John Fox Territory