Number 3 in the world Alexander Zverev ended the 2021 Tour season with a 59-15 record and 6 titles to his name. Zverev won two ATP-500 titles, first in Acapulco and then in Vienna. He won two ATP-1000 Masters titles in Madrid on clay and then in Cincinnati on hard courts and also won a Gold medal at Tokyo Olympics 2020 this year before ending the season with the title at ATP Finals 2021.
Taking on the world No. 2 and defending champion this year at the ATP Finals, Daniil Medvedev, Zverev won the championship 6-4, 6-4 in 75 minutes to claim his 2nd title at the End of the Year Championship and ended the season with a victory over his family. Sascha shot eight aces and hit 23 winners while not meeting a single break point and limiting the Russian to just one winner in the first set.
“There’s no better way to end the season than winning here. I am extremely happy and I am already looking forward to next year. Honestly, things couldn’t be much better. I’m obviously pleased with how the season is going. I am satisfied with the end of the season. It was clearly a great year. To hit the headlines here is incredible. Give me the trophy! ” Zverev said after the game.
List of achievements and interesting statistics after Alexander Zverev’s victory at ATP Finals 2021
- Alexander Zverev becomes the 10th man in history to win multiple titles at the ATP Finals (2018 and 2021).
- Both of Zverev’s ATP Finals titles went to opponents he lost in the round robin:
2018 – lose Novak Djokovic in the scoring circle, beat Djokovic in the Finals in straight sets
2021 – lost to Daniil Medvedev in round robin first leg, beat Medvedev in Finals in straight sets
Pete Sampras is the only person who has achieved miracles many times (1994, 1996, 1999).
- Zverev became the second man after Ivan Lendl won multiple ATP Finals titles before winning a Grand Slam. Ivan was the first tennis player to win multiple titles at the End of the Year Championship (1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1987) before winning his first Slam at Extended Solution 1984.
- Zverev is the fourth player in ATP Finals history to beat the top two ATP rankings in the semifinals (Djokovic) and final (Medvedev), along with Lendl (1982), Stefan Edberg (1989) and Andre Agassi (1990).
- This is the fifth year in a row an outside player Big four by Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray won the ATP Finals. Zverev is the only person to have won twice in that span.
- Zverev ends a streak of 6 different champions at the ATP Finals that started in 2015 (2015 – Djokovic, 2016- Murray, 2017 -) Grigor Dimitrov, 2018 – Zverev, 2019 – Stefanos Tsitsipas, 2020 – Medvedev).
- This is the 19th time a round robin rematch has been made in the final. The losing team of the scoring circle has now won 11/19 games with Zverev being there twice.
- Zverev is now successful Boris Becker (3 ATP Finals championships) equals 1 title as the German with the most titles at the tournament.
- Only two ATP Finals finals have been won in consecutive sets after the 2016 Finals. Zverev won both.
https://firstsportz.com/tennis-list-of-records-broken-by-alexander-zverev-after-winning-the-2021-atp-finals/ List of records broken by Alexander Zverev after winning the ATP Finals 2021 »FirstSportz