The app is Not all free; however, the free version has no ads and offers unlimited study of kanji for beginners, roots, hiragana and katakana. The dictionary and all information screens are also free and unrestricted. A one-time upgrade will unlock the remaining kanji levels and allow you to create your own custom sets. It also supports the continued development of this project.
• Memorize kanji in manageable sized sets.
• View stroke animations, readings, meanings and examples.
• Customize the theme, layout, displayed actions and swipe behavior.
• Specify a study rating to filter out kanji as you learn them.
• Customize quizzes to show readings, meanings, words or example sentences.
• Example words can be selected from JLPT, common vocabulary and favorite words.
• Puzzle time and distraction adjust based on your results.
• More customization to repeat wrong answers, auto play sound, pause after answering and more.
• Improve your kanji recognition by challenging yourself to recall and write kanji.
• Learn the correct stroke order using a fine-tuned stroke detection algorithm.
• The correct strokes will stay in place and hints will appear if you get stuck.
• Detect stroke accuracy or use self-assessment mode.
Search words and kanji quickly
• Search over 6k kanji using readings, root numbers, stroke counts, levels and more, all in one text field.
• Search over 180k words by kanji, kana, romaji or translated language in the same text field.
• Combine any number of criteria and see them highlighted in the results.
• Completely offline and very optimized for fast searching.
• View animated strokes, readings and meanings, and statistics about your study time and tests.
• See a breakdown of the roots found in each kanji.
• Check out example words (grouped by kanji readings), sentences and names.
• Explore the kanji used in each example and use breadcrumbs to navigate back.
★ Learn kanji in various sequences including JLPT and Japanese classes.
★ Notify yourself with custom study reminders when you’re not studying.
★ Read Japanese text with over 8k native audio files and text-to-speech support.
★ Add a shortcut to your home screen to research a particular set.
★ Use the rating screen to create custom sets based on research statistics.
★ favorite kanji, roots and examples for later reference.
★ Save progress using Google Drive or local storage.
★ Customize MANY additional settings.
The Outlier Kanji Dictionary for Learners explains kanji with a unified, easy-to-understand framework designed for learners and based on solid research.
– In-app purchases (purchase upgrades)
– External drive (stores backup files)
– Shortcut settings (add home screen shortcuts)
– Run at startup (reschedule notifications)
– Full network access (send analysis)
There is a volunteer translation project with donations for more than 30 languages. If you want to help, please send me an email.