On Thursday night in Atlanta, Kanye West played his new album Donda for its first public audience at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The album is named for West’s late mother and includes recordings of her speeches. The listening party, which was also streamed live, was an opportunity to hear a list of features on the album, including appearances by Lil Baby, Lil Durk, Smoke Pop, Travis Scott, Pusha T, Baby Keem.
The most notable (or at least most certainly dissected) feature in the album comes from Jay-Z, who, as Pitchfork notedk, there is a verse on the last song of the record. West and the Roc Nation frontman are longtime collaborators and friends, a relationship that reached a high mark on their 2011 album. See the throne and its next tour. The couple’s relationship seems to have cooled considerably in recent years as the West has shown public support for the former president. Donald Trump and then made a weird and scathing bid of its own for public office last fall. Sound Engineer Young Guru Written on Twitter that Jay-Z recorded the verse just hours before the event.
“I told him stop all that red hat stuff, we’re going home,” rapped Jay-Z, according to Pitchfork. “This could be the return of the Throne. Hova and Yeezus, just like Moses and Jesus”.
In a mask, as has been his style in recent weeks, West remained mostly in the stadium as the album played. Follow New York Post Office, Shaquille O’Neal, CeeLo Green, Big Boi, and Jadakiss present among the attendees. Also in attendance are Kim Kardashian West and the four children she and West have, as well as Khloe kardashian. Kardashian West filed for divorce in February, and on Thursday, West repeatedly sang a song, “I lost my family.”
In recent years, West has built a reputation for albums being completed before and after their scheduled release date. Donda includes a reference to the star Milwaukee Bucks Giannis Antetokounmpo, whom West follows secured the NBA championship on Tuesday.
At the time of this writing, the album is yet to appear on streaming services.
Better stories from Vanity Fair
– Story cover: Dua Lipa on Creating Future nostalgia
– Inside Ghislaine Maxwell’s Battle With the Bureau of Prisons
– Prince William and Prince Harry “Move a new page” in their relationship
– 11 books we think you should read This July
– Inside LA’s Most Iconic Examples of mid-century modern architecture
– Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are ready to spend “The rest of their lives together”
– Must-see looks From Cannes Film Festival 2021
– History of Princess Diana’s fiery family
– NS Best musician-tested waterproof mascara to ride a horse for a summer outing
– From the Repository: The heart of an heir
– Registration for Purchase line to receive curated fashion, book, and beauty listings in a weekly newsletter.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/07/kanye-west-donda-listening-party | Kanye West Debuts His Mom-Honoring, Divorce-Processing, Jay-Z Reuniting Record in an Atlanta Stadium