SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – A one-alarm hearth that broke out at a Recology facility in San Francisco Monday afternoon was being attributed to improper disposal of batteries, a firefighter mentioned.
Round 3:30 p.m. the San Francisco Hearth Division responded to the corporate’s sorting warehouse on the five hundred block of Tunnel Avenue. The fireplace broke out on a metallic pile that was being sorted.
By 4:15 p.m. the fireplace was beneath management. No accidents have been reported and all staff have been accounted for, based on firefighters.
UPDATE — FIRE CONTAINED — NO INJURIES — CAUSE LITHIUM BATTERY IMPROPERLY DISPOSED OF
— SAN FRANCISCO FIRE DEPARTMENT MEDIA (@SFFDPIO) July 12, 2021
Hearth Division spokesperson Jonathan Baxter mentioned, “The reason for this fireplace is by one thing that numerous messaging goes out about to not do, and that’s lithium batteries.”
Baxter urged residents to visit the company’s website for full directions to correctly eliminate batteries. A number of disposal choices can be found, together with curbside battery assortment, battery buckets for residence buildings and a number of other dropoff places in San Francisco.
Firefighters remained on the facility Monday afternoon to assist mop up the scene.