You can unlock the Sohm Al (Hard) dungeon by taking the quest “Sohm Al’s Flame” from Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4).
However, you’ll need to complete some prerequisite tasks before you can accept it, so let’s have a quick overview:
Quick step-by-step unlock instructions
- Complete the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) “Mourn in Passing” from Alphinaud in the Dravanian Forelands (X: 23.7, Y: 19.6)
- Complete the MSQ “Heavensward” from the tutorial button in Azys Lla (X: 16.0, Y: 22.0)
- Get the quest “Sohm Al’s Flame” from Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4)
- Talk to Vidofnir in the Dravanian Forelands (X: 16.8, Y: 23.6)
Detailed unlock instructions
To unlock Sohm Al (Hard), start by completing the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) “Mourn in Passing” from Alphinaud in The Dravanian Forelands (X: 23.7, Y: 19.6).
This quest is part of the Main Scenario Quest for 3.0 of Heavenswardso you’ll need to complete every MSQ leading up to the “Funeral Pass”.
Doing the quest “Mourn in Passing” will unlock the normal version of Sohm Al. One of Hraesvelgr’s parents, Vidofnir, will allow you to enter the sacred land of dragons to help you reach The Churning Mists and her father.
Though she will warn you about dragons from the Dravanian Horde that might block your way. You need to have at least a level 53 Magic War Disciple job and an average item level of 105 to participate.
After removing the Sohm Al (Normal), continue to do MSQ in patch 3.0 until “Heavensward” from the Tutorial Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0).
Completing this quest unlocks the MSQ Post-Dragonsong and side quests, including the quest required to unlock Sohm Al (Hard).
Go to Idyllshire and take the quest “Sohm Al’s Flame” from Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4) to continue the Sohm Al Quest.
The Gossamer Moogle will notify you of a brewing problem in Sohm Al and the dragon Vidofnir is asking for your assistance. After your brief meeting with the Gossamer Moogle, talk to Vidofnir in The Dravanian Forelands (X: 16.8, Y: 23.6) to learn more.
She will tell you that Nidhogg’s death and the end of the Dragonsong War left Sohm Al without a leader. The sacred land, once inhabited by mighty dragons, is now filled with creatures that do not belong there. Vidofnir will ask for your assistance in driving the creatures out of Sohm Al again.
After your conversation with the dragon, Sohm Al (Hard) will be unlocked.
To enter the dungeon, you will need at least a Level 60 War Disciple or Spell job and an average item level of 230.
Since this dungeon was released back in patch 3.5, it is very easy to solo when you enter asynchronously with a level 90+ character. Though if you come across this dungeon during the quest roulette you will need to sync it.
Quick Boss Strategy Guide
To help you clear the dungeon quickly, here is a breakdown of each boss and their rewards:
Boss #1: The Leightonward
- Wild horns: The forward cone AoE attack does not telegraph. Tanks should face the boss away from the group to avoid unnecessary damage.
- Flammable smoke: A full room AoE attack will appear after the boss stands up. Alleviate and heal injuries.
- Spore Sac: Spore bags will appear all over the arena. When the boss stands up, AoE markers will appear below them and explode after a while. Move out of the sporangia as soon as they spawn to avoid being hit.
- Excrete: A difficult attack that applies a slow effect on DPS. Healers should keep an eye out for targeted DPS players. Lightens and heals through damage, then removes the debuff.
- Large spore chromatophore: Larger sporangia may appear during “Spore Chromatosis” spawning neighborhood-based markers. Avoid smaller bags while running away from larger bags.
- Glorious Blaze: Attack based on spawning distance from large sporangia. Move away from the marker to reduce damage.
Boss #2: Gowrow
Most tycoon attacks are telegraphed. Always pay attention to how the boss moves to dodge its attacks. Any player hit by these non-telegraph attacks will be dealt a debuff that reduces the healing they receive.
- Volcanic howl: A full defense AoE attack. Alleviate and heal injuries. This attack will also make the boss glow and increase his attack power.
- When the boss raise the tail while the body is not glowing, it will perform a tail swipe that can knock the player back. Move to the side or in front of the boss.
- When the boss raise its tail while its body is glowing, its tail will swipe around melee range. Move away as soon as it raises its tail
- When the boss raise its left arm, it will perform a frontal cleavage attack. Move behind the boss.
- When the boss raise its right arm, it will attack directly. Move to the side or behind the boss.
- When the boss willing to chargeMove out of its way to avoid being hit.
- When the boss bend its body back and bend, it will shoot a large fireball right in front of it. Keep out of its sight.
- When the boss’ back to white light, it will spit out a massive fire attack continuously. Move to the side or behind the boss.
Boss #3: Lava Scorpion
Immediately after the fight begins, the arena will shrink as the outer edges are filled with lava. Other mechanics will shrink the arena even more as the encounter continues, so watch your steps.
- Melting silk: An AoE attack around the boss with three patterns: front cone, rear cone, and donut shape. The patterns are random, but you will have enough time to dodge them.
- Flying press: The boss will target a random player and jump on top of them after a while. After attacking, a puddle of fire will form underneath the player. At the same time, flaming AoEs will form around the room.
If you are targeted, move to the outer edges of the arena to drop your puddle while avoiding fiery AoEs. These puddles grow over time, so keeping them in one area will help the party move around the arena efficiently.
- Deadly thrust: A tank attack on the main target. Use skills that reduce damage and heal through damage.
- Realm Shaker: An empty circular AoE attack. Melee players should move away to avoid extra damage.
- Hiss: The boss will spawn two smaller scorpions, “Scorpion’s Claw” and “Scorpion’s Tail”. Kill the claw scorpion, then the tail scorpion, before attacking the boss again.
- Borehole: The clawed scorpion will spawn a pool of fire underneath if its ice goes off. Kill claw scorpions instantly.
In addition to the boss bonus, there are four treasures located in the dungeon that you can open for additional equipment rewards:
- (X: 11.7, Y: 12,2)
- (X: 12.8, Y: 10.9)
- (X: 10.1, Y: 12.0)
- (X: 8.8, Y: 11.2)
https://www.fandomspot.com/ffxiv-unlock-sohm-al-hard/ How to Unlock Sohm Al (Hard) in FFXIV – FandomSpot