A sensible man as soon as sang, “I simply wanna style it, I simply wanna style it / Watermelon sugar high,” and more true phrases have by no means been spoken. There’s one thing particular about savoring the candy flavors of a fresh watermelon on a sizzling summer time day, and it by no means appears to get outdated, even after numerous seasons within the solar. Whereas we’re no strangers to having fun with a watermelon in its many varieties (particularly on this smoky melon cocktail), we’re considerably new to taking advantage of the fruit’s recent rind. However go away it to TikTok users to vary that and enlighten our style buds within the very manner we wanted.
TikTok person Chaheti (@rootedinspice) shared her mother’s simple watermelon-rind recipe, and it is the definition of watermelon (sugar) excessive. Often called tarbooz ki sabji (or cooked watermelon rinds), this drool-worthy Indian recipe simply requires a pot of boiling water, a splash of spices, and naturally, watermelon rinds. Easy sufficient for any at-home chef to re-create, this viral video has already racked up greater than 5 million views, and it isn’t exhausting to see why! With scrumptious spices and simple steps, this recipe is all you should profit from the season’s most interesting flavors. Get pleasure from!
Use the entire watermelon together with the inexperienced pores and skin.
- 4 cups watermelon rinds with the inexperienced pores and skin on
1/2 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (+/- based mostly on warmth choice)
1 dried purple chili (optionally available)
1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder) (can sub with recent lemon juice)
Salt to style
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optionally available)
- Begin boiling water in a big sauté pan.
- Fastidiously lower the watermelon, and separate the rind from the “flesh.”
- Then, lower the rinds into bite-size items.
- Add the rinds to the boiling water, return the water again to a boil, and cook dinner the watermelon for 20 to 25 minutes or till the rinds are tender.
- Drain the rinds, set them apart, and dry the pan.
- As soon as the pan is totally dry, warmth up the oil.
- Add cumin seeds to the pan, and await them to get sizzling. Then on low warmth, add the hing, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and dried chili. Toast the spices for 30 seconds.
- Add the rinds again to the pan, improve the warmth, add salt, and sauté for five minutes or till the uncooked scent of the spices has gone away and the watermelons are nicely coated.
- Flip off the warmth, add amchur, and blend nicely.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve.
- 2-3 servings
https://www.popsugar.com/meals/how-to-eat-watermelon-rinds-48440354 | Easy methods to Make Indian Watermelon Rind Recipe on TikTok