In case you ceaselessly use Linux on your Chromebook, then you could have seen applications coming in tar.gz, AppImage, and DEB packages. Whereas DEB applications could be put in simply and AppImage programs run well on a Chromebook, it’s a bit difficult to put in a tar.gz file in Chrome OS. So to make issues simpler, we convey you a helpful information on how one can set up a tar.gz file in your Chromebook. You want to run a few instructions, and you’ll be all set.
Set up tar.gz File on a Chromebook (2021)
We’re going to present you how one can set up LibreOffice, one of many best Linux apps for Chromebooks, on this tutorial. It is available in a tar.gz file format and requires extraction and guide set up on the Linux container. I’m assuming you have got already set up Linux on your Chromebook. So with out additional ado, let’s leap to the steps.
1. Initially, transfer the tar.gz file to the ‘Linux information‘ part below the Information app.
2. Subsequent, press the “Ctrl + Enter” keyboard shortcut on your Chromebook and replica the file identify. Be sure you copy the entire file identify, together with the tar.gz extension.
3. Now, hearth up the Linux Terminal and run the under command. Be sure that to substitute the filename with the one you copied above. It would extract the tar.gz file in a folder in your Chromebook.
sudo tar -xf filename.tar.gz
4. As soon as the tar.gz file is extracted, transfer to the ‘Linux information’ part below the Information app and copy the folder identify. This time, you’ll have no extension.
5. Now, run the under command to transfer contained in the extracted folder. Bear in mind to exchange the foldername within the command with the precise identify you copied above.
6. Underneath the folder, search for .deb information. As for LibreOffice, the DEB information are below the “DEBS” folder, so we have to transfer to that folder. Run the under command to maneuver to the actual folder.
7. As soon as right here, execute the under command, and it’ll set up all of the DEB applications below the tar.gz file in your Chromebook. The set up will take some time, so please be affected person.
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
8. Lastly, as soon as the set up is full, you may entry the apps from the App Drawer below the Linux folder. That’s it.
Extract and Run tar.gz File on Chrome OS
So that’s how one can set up a tar.gz file on Chrome OS. I’ve additionally talked about how one can extract the content material of a tar.gz file via the Linux Terminal. In case you don’t have entry to Linux or simply need to extract the content material of a tar.gz file, observe our information on how to extract ZIP, 7Z, or TAR files on a Chromebook. Anyway, that’s all from us. You probably have any questions, tell us within the remark part under.
https://beebom.com/how-install-tar-gz-file-chromebook/ | Set up a tar.gz File on Your Chromebook in 2021