In the event you’ve up to date your laptop from Home windows 10 to Home windows 11, you could discover that your taskbar isn’t fairly as configurable — and maybe not fairly as helpful — because it was earlier than. For instance, the previous, acquainted Begin menu with its configurable Stay Tiles is now gone. The search field is now not inside the taskbar however is accessed by first clicking on the Begin menu — an additional step. (Though the truth that Cortana is now not routinely a part of that search field may be thought of, by many not less than, as a plus.)
One other factor: the taskbar is now completely affixed to the underside of the display screen — so should you have been extra comfy having it on prime of the display screen, or on both facet, you’re out of luck.
As you may think, Home windows customers are already posting fixes for not less than a few of these points — so long as you’re comfy tweaking your Home windows Registry. For instance, there’s one which purportedly enables you to move the taskbar to the top of the screen, and one other that permits you to change the size of the taskbar.
It’s attainable that Microsoft will deliver again a few of these talents in future updates of the brand new OS. For now, let’s consider how one can alter the present Home windows 11 taskbar.
Pin an app to the taskbar
Pinning an app to the taskbar on the backside could be a little — properly, bizarre. There are a number of methods to deal with it:
- If an app is operating, its icon will seem within the taskbar with a line beneath to point that it’s energetic. If you need its icon to stay within the taskbar even after you’ve closed it, then right-click on the icon and choose “Pin to taskbar.”
- If an app isn’t operating, however its icon is in your desktop, you may pin it to the Taskbar as properly. Proper-click on the desktop icon and click on on “Present extra choices.” An extended menu will open up; about two-thirds down, you’ll see “Pin to taskbar.”
- You can too click on on the Begin icon, choose the “All apps” button, after which right-click on the app you need. In the event you don’t see “Pin to taskbar” within the menu that pops up, then choose “Extra” and also you’ll see “Pin to taskbar.”
Take away an app from the taskbar
Most apps are easy to take away: simply right-click on the icon and choose “Unpin from taskbar.”
A number of of the icons take a little bit extra effort to take away. The Begin menu icon is, as could be anticipated, unremovable. However there are 4 different icons that may’t be eliminated however may be hidden. The best means to try this is:
- Proper click on on the taskbar.
- Choose “Taskbar settings.” (You can too get there by going to “Settings” > “Personalization” > “Taskbar.”)
- Toggle off any of the 4 icons — “Search,” “Process view,” “Widgets,” or “Chat” — that you simply wish to cover.
Transfer your icons to the left
These of us who having been utilizing Home windows 10 (or 7 or earlier iterations) are used to accessing the Begin menu from the decrease left-hand nook of the display screen. In case your muscle reminiscence retains your hand drifting to that nook, you may transfer the middle app icons so they’re to your left as a substitute:
- Proper-click on the taskbar and click on on “Taskbar settings.”
- Choose “Taskbar behaviors.”
- Search for “Taskbar alignment” and click on on the button on the proper the place it says “Heart.” Choose “Left” as a substitute.
- Shut the settings window, and also you’ll see that the app icons within the taskbar have moved to the left, with the Begin menu icon within the nook.
By the way, the “Taskbar behaviors” part of the settings enables you to do greater than transfer your icons to the left. It additionally enables you to routinely cover the taskbar (one thing that’s been a taskbar habits for a really very long time); present a badge on taskbar apps to let you understand if, say, you’ve any unread messages; deal with how the taskbar works on a number of shows; and present a clear desktop by clicking on the far proper nook of the taskbar.
Taskbar nook icons and overflow
Whereas the taskbar nook icons and the overflow window aren’t new, I by no means truly knew what they have been known as earlier than. To inform you the reality, after I first noticed the phrase “Taskbar nook overflow,” I pictured a bunch of app icons flowing out of the show like Niagara Falls. Seems the nook icons are the icons in the proper nook of the taskbar — those that present the time and date, your battery standing, your quantity stage, and your Wi-Fi standing, amongst different issues. The overflow is the little pop-up menu that seems when you choose the arrow to the left of these nook icons.
For probably the most half, the icons within the overflow window are supposed to notify you when there’s something that must be accomplished — messages which have arrived or an replace that’s wanted. That is additionally useful for apps, like Discord, that are inclined to run within the background; you may shut them down simply from the overflow by right-clicking on the icon and on the lookout for the “stop” choice.
Whereas a lot of the nook icons that include Home windows are everlasting, some — particularly, the Pen menu, the Contact keyboard, and the Digital touchpad — may be hidden. They are often discovered on the identical taskbar settings menu that allow us transfer the icons to the left; simply click on on “Taskbar nook icons” and toggle off those you don’t wish to see.
https://www.theverge.com/22688307/windows-11-microsoft-taskbar-how-to | The way to customise your Home windows 11 taskbar