Get hyped. The 2021-22 NHL season is lastly upon us! After the lengthy/quick offseason, the summer season of ending the rebuild in Chicago, and the return of Jonathan Toews to the Blackhawks, hockey in Chicago is simply over 30 hours away. However the NHL drops the puck on this season in nearly eight hours.
• In comparison with what I felt like going into final season, I’m lightyears forward for this season on the subject of watching the Blackhawks.
HOCKEY. IS. BACK. #NHLFaceOff
— NHL (@NHL) October 12, 2021
• What higher strategy to have fun the beginning of the brand new season than by additionally celebrating some Blackhawks birthdays? A Completely satisfied twenty second Birthday to Philipp Kurashev and a Completely satisfied twenty eighth Birthday to Jake McCabe!
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) October 12, 2021
• Kurashev was technically left off the Blackhawks’ opening night time roster yesterday on the roster deadline, however he’s anticipated to be recalled again to Chicago’s roster and sure into the opening night time lineup later as we speak as soon as Andrew Shaw’s contract is positioned on LTIR.
• The identical goes for MacKenzie Entwistle. You’ll find the complete roster that can open the 2021-22 season in Chicago right here:
The Blackhawks have finalized their roster for opening night time with a handful of roster strikes. https://t.co/oUiB4BkMt2
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) October 12, 2021
• Right here’s an attention-grabbing breakdown from CapFriendly on how the entire NHL rosters have been constructed. The Blackhawks are tied for essentially the most gamers on their opening night time roster that have been acquired by way of trades.
Breakdown of how the 2021-22 rosters are constructed.
1. Anaheim – 15
2. New Jersey – 14
3. Philadelphia – 14
32. Vegas – 4
1. NY Islanders – 13
2. Toronto – 12
3. Vancouver – 12
32. Winnipeg – 2
1. Chicago – 13
2. Vegas – 13
3. Ottawa – 12
32. Edmonton – 3
— CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) October 12, 2021
• They might take the outright lead from Vegas as soon as Entwistle, who was acquired from Arizona in a commerce, is added to the roster.
• Irrespective of how the roster was created, it appears like a way more aggressive crew heading into this season than it did final season. In line with the fashions made by The Athletic’s Dom Luszczyszyn, the Blackhawks are going to be within the hunt for the postseason, however will finally fall quick.
Here is how the mannequin views every crew’s energy going into the season pic.twitter.com/4dhfyr6Eke
— dom on the athletic (@domluszczyszyn) October 12, 2021
• However that’s the reason the video games are performed on the ice and never on the computer systems. Though, I do. see the Blackhawks doubtless falling into that very same vary this season. Contending however not getting over the hump. I might love to be mistaken, after all.
• Of their previews of the Jap and Western Convention groups heading into the season, Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman touched on the Blackhawks and Friedman casually talked about that there’s potential for Dylan Strome to be moved.
— Mario Tirabassi (@Mario_Tirabassi) October 12, 2021
• It’s not a brand new concept. Strome has been a participant that many thought is likely to be on the transfer final season or within the offseason. However he’ll begin the season with the Blackhawks, taking part in a way more restricted function than he had perhaps anticipated to following his career-best season in 2018-19. One thing to regulate because the season will get began will likely be how Strome is used and the way he responds in that function.
• Brandon Hagel joined Joe Model and Chris Boden on WGN Radio final night time, previewing the upcoming season. They requested the hard-hitting questions which can be on the minds of all Blackhawks followers, together with who was the track selector through the crew’s karaoke session after Alex DeBrincat’s marriage ceremony this summer season. Hagel took the credit score/blame for his or her rendition of “Stacy’s Mother.” However I think perhaps it wasn’t Hagel in spite of everything…
Hahaha 🤣 good tune although
— Calvin de Haan (@cal_dehaan) October 12, 2021
• I feel the crew may need a locker room victory track on their fingers.
• We’ve talked about “hockey tradition” quite a lot of occasions and the best way issues want to vary and enhance. Bauer Hockey, one of many largest hockey tools firms on the planet, has began an initiative to be part of the change, together with a change of their brand which they are saying “acknowledges hockey’s evolution,” “serves as a beacon of inclusivity,” and “represents the pursuit to shift hockey tradition.” They used Patrick Kane of their brand reveal video.
As we speak we transfer ahead.
The sport everyone knows and love has evolved-and so have we. Our new icon alerts the beginning of our subsequent chapter. It acknowledges hockey’s evolution, it serves as a beacon of inclusivity, and represents our pursuit to shift hockey tradition past the rink. pic.twitter.com/UyBIn0LlKG
— BAUER Hockey (@BauerHockey) October 12, 2021
• From a Blackhawks fan perspective, it is a candy video of Kane’s stick-handling potential. From some other perspective aside from a Chicago one, this video and message fully miss the mark for what Bauer is attempting to do. A crew and participant which have been on the middle of controversial and problematic lawsuits lately (and at present) don’t scream “Inclusivity” “Evolution” and shifting hockey tradition to anybody who just isn’t a Blackhawks fan. Even Blackhawks followers can see the unhappy irony of the video.
• In the event you’re in search of extra info on the matters that Bauer is attempting to handle, however in a extra correct means, I extremely advocate testing Evan Moore and Jashvina Shah’s new e book, “Recreation Misconduct: Hockey’s Poisonous Tradition and How you can Repair It.”
As we speak’s the day our little e book will get launched into the world. Hopefully it can spark change pic.twitter.com/cVHRKsnDcQ
— Jashvina ShaaAAAAAAH 👻 (@icehockeystick) October 12, 2021
• I’ve my copy prepared.
• Talking of the evolution of the sport, the AHL may have ten feminine referees and linespeople this season for the primary time in league historical past.
The AHL’s roster of on-ice officers for the 2021-22 season consists of feminine referees and linespeople for the primary time.
— AHL Communications (@AHLPR) October 11, 2021
• This can doubtless pave the wave for feminine referees and linespeople to make their strategy to the NHL quickly. Superior to see.
• Every so often, I’m reminded how younger a few of these NHL gamers are. However Chris Johnston didn’t have to remind me of this once more.
In case you wished to really feel previous, two 2003-born gamers have been included on NHL opening day taking part in rosters: Mason McTavish (ANA) and Cole Sillinger (CBJ).
There’s additionally October 2002-born William Eklund (SJ).
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) October 12, 2021
• The youth motion within the NHL is alive and effectively.
• Together with Montreal’s Nick Suzuki, who simply obtained paid this morning.
— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) October 12, 2021
• The deal could seem untimely and some huge cash to commit, but it surely’s just like Carolina’s Andrei Svechnikov’s deal (8x$7.775M) and each of these gamers are going to be long-term items to their franchises, so it is sensible. The league is trending youthful and youthful yearly.
• Talking of the Hurricanes, they simply casually occur to say that Sebastian Aho and Martin Nečas performed a spherical of golf with Harry Types. You already know, as one does.
Large Caniac, Harry Types pic.twitter.com/AwRK1TSjue
— Carolina Harrycanes (@Canes) October 11, 2021
• Paired with the NHL utilizing Justin Bieber to advertise the beginning of the brand new season on ESPN and TNT, the league is making a a lot bigger and visual push to draw a youthful viewing viewers and make the sport extra fulfilling to draw new followers.
• Case and level, the brand new Bleacher Report “Open Ice” outlet is attempting to seize that “new college” really feel. I feel they’re nailing it thus far.
— B/R Open Ice (@BR_OpenIce) October 12, 2021
• I’m hyped.
• That may do it for as we speak. Hope you all get pleasure from your Tuesday and the opening of the NHL season tonight! Blackhawks hockey begins tomorrow!
https://www.bleachernation.com/blackhawks/2021/10/12/hockey-is-back-chicagos-expectations-and-other-blackhawks-bullets/ | Hockey Is Again! Chicago’s Expectations, and Different Blackhawks Bullets