The man accused of opening fire with a rifle from a rooftop at a crowd watching a July Fourth parade near Chicago, turning the holiday celebration into another national tragedy, was charged with murder on Tuesday first-degree charges on seven counts.
If convicted, the suspect, 21-year-old Robert E. Crimo III, would face life in prison without the possibility of parole, Illinois Attorney Eric Reinhard said while announcing the charges at a news conference.
Highland Park shooting: death toll rises to 7 as police continue investigation
The prosecutor said the first-degree charges would be followed by dozens of other charges before the investigation was complete and he would ask that Crimo remain in custody without bail when the suspect first appeared on Wednesday.
Air Canada Flight Cancellations: How to Get Refunds, Other Compensation
Daughter of Jay’s trainer dies in hose accident
Authorities said Crimo planned the attack for weeks and had at least twice previously been alerted to reports that he was threatening suicide or causing harm to others, local officials said on Tuesday.
Authorities said the suspect fired more than 70 shots from a rooftop at random at people watching Monday’s parade in Highland Park, Illinois, and then disguised himself in disguise to slip among the panic-stricken crowd mix, the authorities announced on Tuesday.
(Reporting by Brendan O’Brien and Tom Polansek; Additional reporting by Kanishka Singh, Jonathan Allen, Tyler Clifford, Christopher Gallagher, Christopher Walljasper, and Doina Chiacu; Writing by Jonathan Allen and Steve Gorman; Editing by Aurora Ellis and Bill Berkrot)
Police are naming one person of interest in the July 4 shooting in Illinois
https://globalnews.ca/news/8969252/highland-park-shooting-suspect/ Highland Park shooting: Suspect charged with seven counts of first-degree murder – National