MAMARONECK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — First responders pulled off a daring rescue after a 13-year-old woman fell into an open drain pipe in Westchester County.
As CBS2’s Thalia Perez reported, the incident occurred Sunday in Mamaroneck throughout an occasion to assist storm victims.
Gabby Cifuentes mentioned she and her sister had been taking part in ball whereas their mother and father had been in a close-by tent distributing necessities to households affected by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. It occurred inside seconds. Gabby was trapped and everybody was scrambling to save lots of her.
There have been tense moments as first responders labored to rescue Gabby after she slipped into the open utility vault/drain pipe.
The teenager mentioned she was taking part in ball together with her 3-year-old sister on the nook of Previous White Plains Highway and Middle Avenue when the ball rolled close to the drain pipe opening on some grass.
It’s solely a bit of greater than a foot extensive. However the subsequent factor she knew, she had fallen into the outlet as much as her armpits.
“My ft had been dangling there, and I struggled to maintain myself up. It was scary as a result of if I let go I might fall by way of. I didn’t know what was underneath,” Gabby mentioned.
Rescuers arrived rapidly.
“They had been like all surrounding me and I didn’t know what was going to occur or how lengthy I used to be going to remain there. I began respiratory closely and I had all of the harnesses round me and so they had been scratching on me,” Gabby mentioned.
She mentioned it was her dad’s comforting voice that satisfied her that she would ultimately get out, however he mentioned staying calm wasn’t simple.
“I’m scared a bit of bit extra as a result of police say there’s like energy traces on the underside, perhaps a gasoline line,” Yovani Cifuentes mentioned.
After about an hour, police mentioned they lastly freed Gabby and pulled her to security. She has a message for the primary responders.
“I might say thanks,” Gabby mentioned. “It was a really scary expertise to undergo and so they had been calming me down and ensuring that every part was OK.”
Gabby suffered minor scrapes and bruises and her mother and father mentioned they’re grateful the result wasn’t worse. It’s unclear why or how the utility vault/drain pipe was open. However the woman’s mother and father mentioned it’s time to remind the city to shut off harmful drain pipes.
CBS2’s Thalia Perez contributed to this report.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/09/05/exclusive-first-responders-rescue-teenager-stuck-in-an-open-drain-pipe-in-mamaroneck/ | First Responders Rescue Teenager Caught In An Open Drain Pipe In Mamaroneck – CBS New York