For those who’ve been studying this text, you understand I’ve my considerations about Ben Roethlisberger. You understand who is not involved about Roethlisberger, not less than for Week 2? Jamey Eisenberg, who tabbed Massive Ben as his Start of the Week for his upcoming matchup Sunday in opposition to the Raiders.
A part of it’s concerning the scenario the Raiders are going through, touring throughout the nation for a 1 p.m. ET begin coming off a grueling time beyond regulation win over the Ravens on Monday night time. That cross-country, west-to-east, early-start sport is all the time powerful for West Coast groups, and it is nearly unfair they need to do it with a day much less of relaxation than the Steelers. Jamey additionally likes the matchup usually, even with out that context, in addition to the truth that it is the house opener for the Steelers.
That is quite a lot of arrows pointing up for Roethlisberger. You may learn extra of Jamey’s ideas on Ben and get the rest of his calls for Week 2 in his Start ‘Em & Sit ‘Em column right here. Right now’s e-newsletter can even function Dave Richard’s Begins and Sits, Sleepers and Busts column for Week 2, in addition to my ideas on a number of the largest questions heading into the week.
And, if you would like your questions answered instantly, subscribe to the Fantasy Football Today YouTube channel and be a part of Adam Aizer, Dave Richard and I at 2 p.m. ET for our start/sit live stream. We’ll be discussing the entire newest information and answering your hardest lineup questions, and we’ll be there each week to be sure you’re prepared for the primary lineup lock of the week.
Prepare for Week 2 with our different preview content material right here:
Preserve a watch out for tomorrow’s e-newsletter, the place I will preview each sport this week, together with full harm report updates from across the league. Here is what else right this moment’s e-newsletter will cowl:
- 2️⃣Dave Richard’s Week 2 Preview
- ❓Greatest questions❓
- 🆚TNF Preview: Buccaneers vs. Cowboys
- 🚑Week 2 Harm Watch
There are the apparent calls, after which there are those you need assistance with. Dave Richard goes by means of every sport to establish essentially the most fascinating matchups and largest lineup dilemmas for Week 2. Listed here are a few of his high picks for this week. You will discover the remainder of his recommendation for Week 2 here:
- Ja’Marr Chase — “The one issues Chase dropped in Week 1 had been the jaws of his preseason detractors. He regarded like a sure-fire first-round choose to me. Psychological errors price Chicago on two deep landing catches final week in opposition to artful, however not essentially athletically dominant, wideouts. In whole, the Bears allowed a mean of seven.0 yards after catch per reception, fourth-worst on the week. Psychological errors can get cleaned up, but it surely doesn’t suggest the Bears will not get examined. You may be positive the Bengals will attempt dialing up some performs for Chase, who commanded a 26% goal share in his first sport with no drops.”
- James Robinson — “The Jaguars forgot about their run sport final week, throwing on 11 of 12 performs within the first quarter and 21 of 30 within the first half. Likelihood is they had been targeted on attacking the Texans secondary and letting Trevor Lawrence let it rip. Down 20 at halftime, they actually could not afford to all of a sudden change into balanced. My hunch is that they’re going to make use of a extra balanced strategy this week in opposition to the Broncos, helped particularly by Denver’s legit secondary. Financial institution on extra carries and a few good receiving numbers for Robinson, who averaged 5.0 yards per tote final week due to an added burst to his sport from final yr.”
- Jaylen Waddle — “Of the 27 move performs Waddle was in final week, he ran a route over 10 yards downfield solely six instances. Receivers like that want constant quantity, and I am unsure Waddle is a cinch to resume his 22% goal share final week with Will Fuller coming again to the Dolphins offense. The flipside to that’s Fuller’s presence will undoubtedly open issues up beneath for Fuller. It is an unknown if the Dolphins can take benefit. The Payments move protection regarded largely nice final week, holding the Steelers to beneath 200 passing yards. Work beneath the belief that Waddle is nice for perhaps 12 PPR factors, which is why he is a flex choice at greatest in PPR. There are others on the market with extra upside.”
- Tyler Boyd — “I need to consider in Boyd, particularly after the Rams ate up middle-field targets in opposition to the Bears final week, but it surely’s fairly clear the place he stands within the Bengals’ hierarchy. Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins merely supply extra explosiveness to Joe Burrow, which the quarterback clearly was conscious of final week (Chase had seven targets, Higgins had six, Boyd had 4). However in a detailed sport the Bengals went deep into time beyond regulation in, Burrow nonetheless threw the ball simply 27 instances versus 35 run performs. Chicago’s move protection is exposable, however I am simply not sure Cincinnati will throw a ton, nor am I sure Boyd will see an uptick in work even in a positive matchup. It appears like a lure to begin Boyd as something apart from a PPR flex.”
- James Conner — “Conner out-touched Chase Edmonds final week, but it surely was a byproduct of the Cardinals salting the sport away as half of Conner’s 16 carries got here within the fourth quarter (Edmonds had three fourth-quarter carries). Conner undoubtedly has his position locked up as the ability again and clock-killing again, however Edmonds has the passing downs position in addition to a bit of the operating downs position when the sport is within the steadiness. That ought to be the case in opposition to the Vikings, whose run protection allowed a bunch of yards to Joe Mixon final week, but it surely was over 29 carries by means of practically 5 quarters. I believe Edmonds could have an excellent shot to repeat final week’s numbers (106 whole yards) because the Vikings’ zone-preferred protection might yield loads of receptions to the operating again. And do not rule out Conner as a landing scorer in what’s anticipated to be one of many highest-scoring video games of the weekend. “
- Juwan Johnson — “Possibly the very best factor Johnson did over his 12 snaps final Sunday (yep, simply 12) was regulate to 2 off-target throws from Jameis Winston for touchdowns. He is bought stable pace for a man his measurement, but it surely’s the size he gives as a pass-catcher that makes him interesting, particularly for somebody like Winston who does not throw with pinpoint accuracy. For those who begin him, you are hoping the Saints coaches preferred his athleticism and provides him extra routes to run, significantly when the Saints get contained in the 10-yard line. Guys like Rob Gronkowski, Tyler Higbee and Jared Cook dinner ought to begin forward of him. He is completely price a roster spot, so get him if he is nonetheless on the market.”
- Corey Davis — “It is fairly apparent that Davis just isn’t solely the Jets’ greatest receiver, however their greatest offensive participant. You may guess your left shoe Invoice Belichick’s protection shall be keyed in on him in order that they do not yield a fluke rating just like the Panthers did on his first landing final week. It is a play like his second landing on an out route deep within the pink zone that you need to sweat out in the event you sit him. However the fact is that the Jets’ O-line is a large number and rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is about to see every kind of unique coverages meant to journey him up. You should not even really feel that nice about him as a flex this week.”
Please examine the opt-in field to acknowledge that you just wish to subscribe.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep watch over your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
On Wednesday, I took to Twitter to answer some of your biggest questions heading into Week 2, writing about Brandon Aiyuk, backfield splits, Juwan Johnson and extra. Additionally on Wednesday, CBS Fantasy Editor Dan Schneier surveyed the FFT team with some big questions of his own about early draft regrets and our Week 2 breakout and bust calls. As a result of, whereas we bought loads of solutions in Week 1, we had been nonetheless left with a lot extra questions that you just want solutions to.
Listed here are my solutions to a few of these questions, and take a look at each of these items to see in case your questions had been already answered.
Joe Mixon. I used to be very, very excessive on Mixon coming into this season, and I used to be keen to draft him as early because the 1-2 flip in all leagues. However I solely ended up with him in just a few leagues, and I ought to have made that extra of a precedence. The one drawback was, in the event you had been drafting within the first half of the primary spherical, you wanted him to slide to 18th or later to snag him, and also you could not all the time depend on that. He’s a top-four RB for me for Week 2, and I believe he’ll have a monster season within the position we have all the time needed for him.
I do not assume there’s anybody I actually remorse, although I am not precisely feeling nice about having Julio Jones on greater than half of my groups proper now. Not that I am panicking, however Week 1 was discouraging, for positive. Hopefully the Titans line can play higher transferring ahead, as a result of I nonetheless definitely consider within the expertise.
Najee Harris. For those who’re nervous about him in any respect, do not be. He solely had 45 yards on his 16 carries and simply the one catch, however he bought the Le’Veon Bell therapy in his first NFL sport, enjoying each single snap for the Steelers. He’ll presumably get a breather in some unspecified time in the future, but it surely’s clear Pittsburgh views him as a professional three-down again it may lean on, and that is going to result in top-12 manufacturing nearly by default, even when this offense is not nice.
I imply, you definitely do not need to see the pinnacle coach calling your fifth-round pick this early within the season. Shanahan is a finicky coach, and he does not care a lot about draft inventory or perceived hierarchies; he is simply going to play who he thinks provides him the very best likelihood to win. I assume meaning Aiyuk will see his position enhance transferring ahead, however there are shades of Dante Pettis on this — Pettis, in the event you bear in mind, entered 2019 because the projected No. 1 extensive receiver and a well-liked breakout candidate however discovered himself in Shanahan’s doghouse following a disappointing coaching camp.
However to reply the query, you shouldn’t be dropping Aiyuk, and I view this as a really good shopping for alternative. Possibly Aiyuk by no means will get again in Shanahan’s good graces, however he is additionally much more proficient than Pettis ever was, so I will guess on it. That being stated, I used to be skeptical he was going to be a must-start Fantasy choice earlier than this, and I am undoubtedly not sure he is a greater participant than Deebo Samuel, who regarded implausible in Week 1.
I believe each shall be superb, however I am much more assured in Ezekiel Elliott than I’m Julio Jones for Week 2. Elliott will get guard Zack Martin again and the Chargers ought to current a neater problem than the Bucs did — the Cowboys largely deserted the run in Week 1 very early on, and it is not exhausting to see why given the opponent. He is nonetheless a must-start Fantasy choice.
As for Julio, I am nonetheless rating him as a WR2 for Week 2, however I undoubtedly need to see him and Ryan Tannehill get on the identical web page shortly. That’ll be simpler when Chandler Jones hasn’t established semi-permanent residence of their backfield, so hopefully that is the week they determine it out. However I would be mendacity if I stated I wasn’t just a little bit nervous.
Not significantly, but, although I can not shake the considered how a lot they struggled final season when Julio Jones wasn’t enjoying. In seven video games the place Jones was inactive, Matt Ryan averaged 6.6 yards per try with a 4.0% landing fee, properly under his profession charges of seven.5 Y/A and 4.6%. The addition of Kyle Pitts was supposed to assist mitigate a few of that, and I do assume Ryan goes to play higher transferring ahead.
Nevertheless, one factor to control is that, in conditions the place the purpose differential in opposition to the Eagles was inside one rating both method (36 offensive performs), the Falcons ran the ball 53% of the time; they threw 62% of the time final season in such conditions. That was rather more according to Arthur Smith’s play calling in 2020 with the Titans, which is a bit regarding for the passing sport.
🆚TNF Preview: Giants at Washington
All traces from Caesars Sportsbook
- Line: Washington -3.0; 40.5 over/beneath
- Implied totals: Washington 21.75-Giants 18.75
What to anticipate: Woof, that is an unpleasant O/U. However, on condition that neither offense regarded significantly good, Washington is beginning a backup quarterback and the Giants have a bunch of fellows who’ve been coping with accidents coming off a brief week. This one will in all probability be fairly ugly, and you do not need to have an excessive amount of publicity for Fantasy in the event you can keep away from it. I am nonetheless beginning Antonio Gibson and Terry McLaurin in all leagues. After that, there isn’t any must-start participant right here.
Key accidents: Evan Engram (calf) is out, whereas Saquon Barkley is the one related participant with a questionable tag for this one. It looks like a perfunctory designation, with Barkley more likely to be restricted at observe for the foreseeable future — he had the identical designation for Week 1. Now, that does not imply it’s best to begin Barkley simply because he is lively. I have him ranked as a No. 2 RB, however I can even acknowledge how a lot danger is concerned in enjoying him given the uncertainty about how a lot he’ll play. I can not blame you in the event you do not; Jamey has him as a sit for this week.
What to observe for: Uh … I hope either side have enjoyable? I am having a tough time getting excited a few Taylor Heinicke/Daniel Jones matchup apart from the potential of some unintentional comedy. Nonetheless, if you are going to watch it, you need to see Barkley present just a little extra burst after going by means of a sport with out breaking a deal with for the primary time in his profession in Week 1. It’ll even be fascinating to see if Sterling Shepard nonetheless stays on the high of the receiving hierarchy for the Giants. He ran the vast majority of his routes from the slot and regarded glorious within the first sport. Do Kenny Golladay and Kadarius Toney change into extra of a spotlight now that they have their ft moist and have practiced with out limitations? Additionally, does Washington proceed to attempt to scheme up targets for Gibson on early downs? And the way does Terry McLaurin look with Heinicke at QB? This won’t be a terrific sport for Fantasy, but it surely may very well be an eventful one when it comes to what it might imply transferring ahead.
Notable participant props
- Sterling Shepard: OVER 4.5 catches — It is price noting that this prop is at -170 at Caesars, so you need to be fairly positive it should hit. And try to be! Shepard averaged 5.5 catches per sport in 2020 and 5.7 in 2019 and had 9 targets and 7 catches in Week 1. Possibly Golladay is able to take over because the No. 1 goal and Toney’s position will enhance sufficient that he is greater than a gadget participant, however my expectation is that Shepard sees an identical position to what he had in Week 1.
- Antonio Gibson: OVER 67.5 speeding yards — This one appears like a fairly protected guess given the workload Gibson is more likely to see. He has topped 67.5 yards on the bottom in 4 of his final six full video games and can probably be requested to shoulder a heavy load with Heinicke beneath middle. And Heinicke’s mobility ought to assist open some speeding lanes for Gibson, too.
- Taylor Heinicke: UNDER 34.5 move makes an attempt — Heinicke did try 44 passes in his lone begin final season, however that was within the playoffs in opposition to the Buccaneers, and 18 of these makes an attempt got here as they tried to come back from behind within the fourth quarter. My expectation is Washington tries to play it conservative in opposition to a Giants offense they need to be capable to deal with fairly simply.
🚑Week 2 Harm Watch
The Massive Information: Odell Beckham has been dominated out for Week 2. For those who’ve been studying this text going again to coaching camp, you will know there have been considerations amongst beat writers overlaying the crew that Beckham wouldn’t be capable to play a full complement of snaps in September, however that is worse than I feared. After all, the crew is probably going simply being cautious with Beckham, particularly with what ought to be a simple matchup in opposition to the Texans on the way in which in Week 2. Nevertheless, you possibly can’t really feel significantly assured that you’ll get a lot of something from Beckham for not less than just a few extra weeks, making him a considerably questionable bench choice. Anthony Schwartz was unexpectedly one of many stars for the Browns in Week 1, however in the event you’re searching for a deep-league or DFS play with Beckham out, Donovan Peoples-Jones is probably going nonetheless the higher choice, given his 80% snap share. Neither is greater than desperation play.
I will have a full breakdown of the harm report in Friday’s e-newsletter together with my preview of every sport, however here is a have a look at some notables from the primary observe participation reviews of the season. And, fortunately, it is really a fairly mild checklist!
Accidents to observe for Week 1
It isn’t clear what these accidents imply fairly but.
- Josh Jacobs (toe/ankle) — Jacobs was fairly beat up Monday night time, and I’d anticipate the Raiders to be fairly cautious with him as they prep for the Steelers Sunday. At this level, I am anticipating Jacobs to play regardless of not practising, but when he does not, Kenyan Drake would in all probability be a top-25 RB even in opposition to a troublesome matchup.
- Marquise Brown (ankle) — The Ravens held a walk-through observe since they performed Monday, so he was estimated as a did-not-practice, which tells us little or no about how regarding this harm is perhaps. We’ll know extra after Thursday’s observe, and hopefully Brown shall be alright coming off a extremely sturdy first sport.
- Gabriel Davis (ankle) — It isn’t clear at this level how critical this harm is, however Davis was unable to observe to open the week, so we will not ignore it. He is a boom-or-bust play in deep leagues because the Payments No. 4 WR, however he stays price stashing for the upside.
Trending up for Week 1
This does not imply they are going to play, however we bought excellent news about them Wednesday.
- Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) — Aiyuk was a full participant Wednesday, so the harm appears to be of little concern at this level. Now, the priority is about whether or not he is in Kyle Shanahan’s canine home, and whether or not he’ll be capable to get himself out shortly.
- Jamison Crowder (COVID) — Crowder is hoping to be cleared to return to observe Thursday, and can be lined as much as begin in Week 2 in opposition to the Patriots if all goes in line with plan. He’ll probably begin within the slot, with Corey Davis and Elijah Moore primarily manning the outsides, and will have some attraction in PPR leagues.
- Zach Ertz (hamstring) — Ertz left Week 1 briefly with the harm, however was capable of play by means of it, and NFL Community’s Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday there was “no nice concern” for Ertz’s standing at this level. He is only a low-end beginning TE, but when he does miss time, that might push Dallas Goedert up even increased into the ranks.
- Anthony Miller (shoulder) — Miller would have been obtainable in an emergency in Week 1, and is predicted to return Sunday in opposition to the Browns. He suffered a separated shoulder within the crew’s preseason opener, which has been an ongoing problem for him through the years. Whether or not he’ll step into the beginning lineup or break up time with newly acquired Danny Amendola, who scored a landing in Week 1, stays to be seen. Miller might want to show himself earlier than he has a lot Fantasy relevance.
Trending down for Week 1
This does not imply they will not play, however they are not transferring in the suitable course but.
- Rashaad Penny (calf) — Penny is predicted to overlook just a few weeks together with his harm, but it surely appears like he will not go on IR. Alex Collins is more likely to be the first backup to Chris Carson in his place.
- Tyrell Williams (concussion) — Williams should be cleared by means of the NFL’s concussion protocol, so there isn’t any telling if he’ll go well with up in Week 2. If he does not, Quintez Cephus ought to get the beginning in Williams’ spot, and he really led the crew’s extensive receivers in targets with seven. He’ll solely have attraction in deep, deep leagues, however control him.
- D’Wayne Eskridge (concussion) — As with Williams, Eskridge has to undergo the league’s protocol to be cleared. The Seahawks like him and his big-play potential, however he solely has attraction in Dynasty leagues proper now even when wholesome.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/soccer/information/fantasy-football-today-week-2-starts-and-sits-your-biggest-questions-and-tnf-preview/ | Fantasy Soccer Right now: Week 2 begins and sits, your largest questions and TNF preview