College football top 25: William & Mary arrives, Villanova falls in CBS Sports FCS Power Rankings
It is Showdown Saturday within the FCS, as a whole lot of key matchups contain top-25 groups. With a number of top-10 upsets going down final weekend, many groups are in a precarious state of affairs. Groups like Villanova, Southern Illinois and South Dakota State want wins regardless of sturdy résumés as a result of the sector is so deep.
On the similar time, groups like UT-Martin, Kennesaw State and Southeastern Louisiana must additional distance themselves from these nipping at their heels of their respective convention standings.
Making issues much more attention-grabbing is that some groups in and across the cutoff level of the highest 25 will play large roles within the FCS playoff image transferring ahead.
Here is how the FCS Energy Ballot seems to be heading into Week 10 …
1. Sam Houston (7-0): I ponder if the Bearkats nonetheless know what a loss looks like? They have not misplaced a sport since 2019.
2. Montana State (7-1): I have been excessive on the Bobcats all season lengthy. This weekend, they get to show simply how good they’re as they face Jap Washington.
3. North Dakota State (8-0): Stacking wins on high of wins, the Bison simply preserve transferring the ball down the sector as successfully as any group within the FCS.
4. James Madison (7-1): It seems the Dukes have one foot within the FCS and one other within the Solar Belt Convention. Both method, they’ve rebounded properly since their one-point loss in opposition to Villanova three weeks in the past.
5. Jap Washington (7-1): The Eagles protection has performed effectively sufficient, however that unit remains to be searching for its respect because it takes on Montana State.
6. Southeastern Louisiana (7-1): There’s simply one thing — or somebody — about this SLU group that leads me to imagine it’s going to be an issue come playoff time … and he stands at 6-foot-7 and 260 kilos and performs quarterback. Cole Kelley is the true deal.
7. UC Davis (7-1): UC Davis’ solely blemish is an unpleasant loss to Idaho State. We should not depend the Aggies out as potential contenders within the playoffs.
8. Villanova (6-2): Arguably essentially the most stunning upset of Week 10 was the Wildcats’ 31-18 loss to William & Mary. We’ll see how they’re going to reply the remainder of the best way.
9. UT-Martin (7-1): The Skyhawks can all however lock up the Ohio Valley Convention this weekend if they can defeat a surging Tennessee State.
10. South Dakota State (6-2): It has been a battle of attrition for the Jackrabbits. Regardless of a few of their losses, they nonetheless are a formidable group the remainder of the best way. It’s going to be an enormous increase for them if they can knock off North Dakota State this weekend.
11. Jackson State (7-1): Tigers preserve Tiger’n alongside whereas coach Deion Sanders is on the mend. Shoutout to interim coach Gary “Flea” Harrell for holding the ship afloat during the last two weeks.
12. Southern Illinois (6-2): Flying too near the solar ended up costing the Salukis. They should learn to put groups away in the event that they wish to go far within the postseason.
13. Montana (6-2): The Griz have gained two in a row and may have the ability to construct some momentum over the following few weeks as effectively.
14. East Tennessee State (7-1): The Bucs had their one slip up in opposition to Chattanooga 21-16 and might’t afford any extra with VMI and Mercer left to play. These three video games may unclog the logjam within the Southern Convention.
15. Jap Kentucky (6-2): I like how this Colonels group is taking part in ball proper now. They’ve gained 5 in a row and have two large video games arising in opposition to Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin.
16. Sacramento State (6-2): The Hornets are one in every of 5 potential playoff contributors within the Large Sky Convention. Nevertheless, they hope to enter the playoffs as convention champs.
17. Kennesaw State (7-1): It seems to be like it’ll come all the way down to Kennesaw State and Monmouth for the Large South title.
18. Incarnate Phrase (6-2): UIW can get a leg up on the Southland Convention title race if it could possibly knock off Southeastern Louisiana.
19. Northern Iowa (5-3): The Panthers have knocked off Sacramento State, South Dakota State and Southern Illinois. It is protected to say their spot within the playoffs is secured … so long as they do not crumble down the stretch.
20. William & Mary (6-2): Head Coach Mike London’s squad is wanting good when it comes to a possible at-large bid coming off of an enormous upset final weekend over Villanova.
21. Princeton (7-0): The Tigers need to put some important distance between themselves and the remainder of the Ivy League contenders with a essential sport in opposition to Dartmouth.
22. Missouri State (5-3): The Bears cannot afford to look forward on the schedule, however they’re most positively eyeing that matchup in opposition to Northern Iowa in two weeks.
23. VMI (6-2): The Keydets nonetheless have an opportunity to take the SoCon with a sport in opposition to ETSU this weekend. It may be a sport that decides if the SoCon is a one-bid or two-bid league.
24. Prairie View A&M (6-1): The Panthers are again in motion this week going through an Alabama State squad that fired coach Donald Hill-Eley earlier this week.
25. Mercer (6-2): Welcome again Mercer. The Bears discover themselves in a three-way tie within the SoCon standings with VMI and ETSU. They’re off this week earlier than wrapping up their season with video games in opposition to Chattanooga and ETSU.
Simply Missed the Lower: Holy Cross, South Dakota, Fordham, Norfolk State, FAMU, Dartmouth
The Czar’s Video games of the Week
Montana State at Jap Washington: A large sport within the Large Sky Convention is a battle between top-five groups. That is the sport I personally have been ready for as a result of I really feel like Montana State hasn’t garnered sufficient respect nationally. This will likely be a strength-vs-strength battle. The Bobcats have the superb protection and Jap Washington’s offense is a respectable point-a-minute sort that averages 51 factors per sport. Each groups will wish to dictate the tempo of the sport: Montana State needs to play it gradual, whereas EWU needs to make it a monitor meet. I imagine the winner will certainly be a final-four group within the playoffs, however on this matchup, I’ll facet with linebacker Troy Andersen and the Bobcats protection to get key stops. Choose: Montana State 24, Jap Washington 21
Tennessee State at UT-Martin: First 12 months coach Eddie George has his Tigers using a four-game profitable streak, they usually’re winners of 5 of their final six video games. The important thing for them has been a stout protection and eventually determining their QB state of affairs with Geremy Hickbottom. UT-Martin was down 16-0 final weekend to Austin Peay within the first half, solely to soar again and win 17-16. That is one other difficult sport when it comes to the FCS playoffs. A Tigers win would put them within the driver’s seat for the Ohio Valley Convention title and depart UT-Martin hoping for an at-large bid. Whereas UTM’s résumé is robust sufficient to safe one, you do not wish to depart it as much as likelihood. The Skyhawks offense is extra prone to get off to a sooner begin, which must be sufficient to sneak them excessive. Choose: UT-Martin 19, Tennessee State 16
Southeastern Louisiana at Incarnate Phrase: Two of the most effective QBs within the FCS take the sector on this sport. Kelley, the reigning Walter Payton Award winner, and Cameron Ward, the reigning Jerry Rice Award winner, will mild up the scoreboard. The playoff implications are why this can be a important sport. The winner has the within monitor to the Southland Convention title and auto-bid to the playoffs, whereas the opposite has to hope for an at-large bid. Expertise issues in video games like this, and proper now it’s important to belief what the Lions are bringing to the desk. Choose: SLU 42, UIW 37
The Czar’s Upset Choose of the Week
St. Thomas (MN) at Davidson: The Tommies can be proper within the combine for the Pioneer League title — and an auto-bid — in the event that they had been eligible. What a powerful debut season they’ve had after making the leap from Division III to Division I. Davidson has essentially the most persistently explosive offense within the convention, however I fear about their protection on this sport. St. Thomas can run the ball effectively, and most significantly, play glorious protection. Choose: St. Thomas (MN) 23, Davidson 20
The Czar’s SportsLine Lock of the Week
Princeton at Dartmouth: Over the past two weeks, we have seen the Princeton protection get again to its dominating methods. On the similar time, Dartmouth’s passing sport has began to seek out its rhythm. Will the Large Inexperienced’s newfound steadiness be sufficient to overhaul the Tigers? You can find my pick for that game, along with all my Week 10 picks, on Sportsline.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/information/college-football-top-25-william-mary-arrives-villanova-falls-in-cbs-sports-fcs-power-rankings/ | Faculty soccer high 25: William & Mary arrives, Villanova falls in CBS Sports activities FCS Energy Rankings