College football top 25: UT-Martin arrives, Southern Illinois drops in CBS Sports FCS Power Rankings
Who would have ever guessed UT-Martin would upset Jacksonville State on the highway final weekend in a 34-31 thriller. Nobody proper? Not fairly. When you had tuned in to final week’s upset pick, you’ll have recognized that outcome was a chance. Skyhawks quarterback Keon Howard tossed 3 touchdowns within the victory and firmly planted himself into the dialog for Ohio Valley Convention Participant of the 12 months.
Now that UT-Martin has entered the rankings, can it keep there? The prospect to defend its honor as a top-25 workforce arrives this week with Murray State coming to city for a homecoming matchup.
Holy Cross additionally appears to have gotten its proverbial groove again after dismantling Monmouth 45-15 in Week 4. The Hawks and Crusaders had been matched up in a pivotal recreation for either side, and because of this, Monmouth has dropped out of the rankings for Week 5. However has Holy Cross reentered? Let’s discover out!
1. Sam Houston (3-0): The Bearkats had been in a position to outgun Central Arkansas 45-35 in a back-and-forth affair.
2. South Dakota State (3-0): The Jackrabbits blanked Indiana State 44-0. The protection has allowed only one rating since giving up 23 factors in Week 1 in opposition to Colorado State.
3. James Madison (3-0): Coming off of an open week, the Dukes are again in motion as they head as much as New Hampshire to tackle the Wildcats.
4. Montana (3-0): The Grizzlies took management early in opposition to Cal Poly and cruised 39-7, trying dominant on the level of assault.
5. North Dakota State (3-0): The Bison start convention play coming off an open week. We’ll see if their offense can preserve buzzing in opposition to their in-state rival, and now Missouri Valley Convention foe, North Dakota.
6. Montana State (3-1): In what was a breakout passing efficiency for quarterback Matthew McKay, the Bobcats had been in a position to get the 30-17 win in opposition to a scrappy Portland State squad.
7. UC Davis (4-0): UC Davis wasn’t clicking on offense, however kudos to that Aggies protection for choosing off Weber State quarterback Kylen Weisser twice in a 17-14 rock battle.
8. Southern Illinois (3-1): Getting back from a 17-0 deficit in opposition to Illinois State to win 35-17 reveals you the grit and expertise of the Salukis. Hopefully, they do not develop into the Cardiac Salukis each week.
9. Japanese Washington (4-0): The Eagles have the highest scoring offense within the FCS, averaging simply over 52 factors per recreation. Quarterback Eric Barriere is averaging 4 landing passes per recreation.
10. East Tennessee State (4-0): ETSU’s secondary received its greatest take a look at to this point in opposition to Samford, needing additional time for a 55-48 win. The excellent news for the Bucs is the always-ready operating again Quay Holmes scored the successful landing.
11. Villanova (3-1): Villanova put up battle in opposition to Penn State, however simply saved giving up too many chunk performs within the 38-17 loss.
12. North Dakota (2-1): The Preventing Hawks play North Dakota State for the Nickel Trophy. North Dakota leads the all-time collection 62-47-3.
13. Missouri State (2-1): The Bears prevented the upset by combating off a pesky South Dakota squad 31-23. Consequently, they continue to be severe contenders within the Missouri Valley.
14. Northern Iowa (2-1): Because the sixth Missouri Valley workforce within the High 25, the Panthers lastly start their convention slate this weekend as they host Youngstown State.
15. Southeastern Louisiana (2-1): The Lions have an in-state matchup this week in opposition to McNeese State. I am to see what their protection appears to be like like coming off of an open week following a dominating efficiency in opposition to Central Connecticut State two weeks in the past.
16. Rhode Island (3-0): Coming off of an open week, the Rams play Stony Brook in an upset alert recreation. Rhode Island have to be sharp from begin to end to keep away from getting knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten.
17. VMI (3-1): The Keydets preserve discovering alternative ways to win each week. FCS Coach of the 12 months Scott Wachenheim has achieved a fantastic job turning round this program.
18. UT-Martin (3-1): Skyhawks coach Jason Simmons has seen loads in his 15 years on the helm, however I am keen to wager that he is extra excited in regards to the potential of this squad than others.
19. Incarnate Phrase (3-1): So long as quarterback Cameron Ward retains slinging it round, the Cardinals will all the time have an opportunity to win. It is a workforce that nobody needs to face.
20. Alabama A&M (3-0): Quarterback Aqeel Glass and receiver Dee Anderson make a incredible duo. Anderson leads the workforce with 4 landing receptions on the season.
21. Richmond (2-2): The Spiders performed exhausting in opposition to Virginia Tech in a 21-10 loss. Ethical victories aren’t a factor that any coach would subscribe to, however this workforce has proven that its success is legit and never simply beauty.
22. New Hampshire (3-1): I’m nonetheless looking for out what did the Wildcats do to make Pitt that mad. I count on UNH left the sport movie of its 77-7 beatdown at Heinz Subject. There isn’t any want to hold that toxicity again residence throughout state traces with you.
23. Jacksonville State (2-2): The Gamecocks rollercoaster by no means stops, however not less than they’re extremely entertaining. I am certain coach John Grass simply needs his workforce to discover a stage of consistency transferring ahead.
24. Jackson State (3-1): Delta State made the Tigers work more durable than they needed to in a 24-17 win. Quarterback Shedeur Sanders had his finest statistical day of the season, going 25-of-36 passing for 251 yards and three touchdowns.
25. Kennesaw State (2-1): The Owls received a formidable win in opposition to Wofford two weeks in the past, and can look to rack up one other one in opposition to Jacksonville State. The final time these two groups performed, they wanted 5 overtimes in a 60-52 thriller again in 2018.
Simply Missed the Reduce: Delaware, Princeton, Holy Cross, Merrimack, William & Mary
The Czar’s Sport of the Week
Montana at Japanese Washington: Discuss an ideal conflict of types. Montana’s stingy protection, which has not allowed greater than seven factors in a recreation, meets Japanese Washington’s potent offense. It is a top-10 battle that additionally occurs to be a Massive Sky Convention matchup as effectively. The Grizzlies are led defensively by redshirt junior linebacker Patrick O’Connell, who leads the workforce in tackles (28), TFLs (9.5) and sacks (5.5). Montana thrives off strain, forcing fast selections within the passing recreation.
Japanese Washington’s passing assault is led by Barriere, a Walter Payton Award Candidate, however remember about operating again Dennis Merritt. The redshirt senior is having himself a season, averaging 6.6 YPC and over 130 yards of complete offense per recreation with 9 touchdowns.
This will probably be a recreation about possessions, and if there’s one weak point the Grizzlies have proven this 12 months, it’s having the ability to maintain drives persistently. Search for EWU’s offense to take full benefit of getting a number of alternatives with the ball in opposition to Montana. Choose: Japanese Washington 21, Montana 17
The Czar’s Upset Alert
Tarleton State at Japanese Kentucky: Groups that may rating will all the time have a puncher’s probability and Tarleton State can flat-out rating. The Texans are led by their floor recreation, and the dual-headed assault of operating backs Jayy McDonald and Daniel Wright Jr. can hit the house run on any given play. The Colonels have given greater than 148 yards per recreation on the bottom. Higher get your trainers prepared! Choose: Tarleton State 31, EKU 20
The Czar’s SportsLine Lock of the Week
Sam Houston vs Stephen F. Austin: The Battle of the Piney Woods is among the extra underrated rivalries in college football. This recreation has been performed at NRG Stadium in Houston since 2010. The Bearkats have received the final 9 matchups and 17 of the final 20. Can the Lumberjacks buck the pattern? And in that case, can they preserve it beneath the entire? Check out my pick plus every Week 5 pick on SportsLine.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/information/college-football-top-25-ut-martin-arrives-southern-illinois-drops-in-cbs-sports-fcs-power-rankings/ | School soccer prime 25: UT-Martin arrives, Southern Illinois drops in CBS Sports activities FCS Energy Rankings