Few wins resonated more loudly in the college football scene this season than Ohio State’s 56-7 win over Michigan State, in which the Buckeyes led 49-0 late in the first half after scoring an encounter. on their first seven possessions. The power of that win now propels Ohio State to the forefront of the conversation for the next strongest team after Georgia, and CBS Sports’ 130 voters have pushed the Buckeyes to #2 in the college football rankings. learn our updated.
Ohio State overtook Alabama for second, though the Crimson Tide didn’t fall further than third after its win over Arkansas. Cincinnati, meanwhile, held on to 4th. Things got particularly interesting for the Big Ten after that as Michigan climbed all the way back from its defeat to Michigan State to claim spot. 5th in our rankings before this weekend’s epic version of The Game.
Michigan State dropped out of the top 10 in CBS Sports 130 following a loss to the Buckeyes, dropping four places to 11th while placing third as the best two-loss team. The best two-game loser, according to our voters, was Baylor 9-2, which rose three places to 8th after a tough win over a Kansas State team we ranked. in 35th place.
Week 12’s schedule doesn’t offer too many major shakeups at the top of the leaderboard beyond a reshuffle between Oregon and Wake Forest. You can read more about those moves, as well as other notable tweaks, in the Movers Report below the top 25 table.
College football experts from CBS Sports and 247Sports contribute votes each week, averaged together for our rankings. You can see the top 25 below and the 26-130 on our ratings page.
|11||the state of Michigan||9-2||7|
|24||State of San Diego||10-1||21|
- No. 58 South Carolina (+12): Shane Beamer’s efforts in 2021 have given weight to the view that the former Gamecocks assistant will be able to find success returning to the program as the team’s new coach. Now qualifying to play following a home win over Auburn, South Carolina moves into the top 60 of our 130-team standings.
- No. 37 State of Oregon (+11): A frequent guest on Mover’s Report, Oregon State is back in the top 40 following a win over Arizona State. Our voters jumped on board with the Beavers after wins over USC and Washington, only to demote them after consecutive defeats to Cal and Colorado. Consecutive home wins ended 6-0 in Corvallis and put the team head-to-head against Oregon for at least a piece of the Pac-12 North title.
- Number 16 Utah (+10): The two out-of-pitch losses against BYU and San Diego State, both in September with a different starting quarterback, are like years ago when you see how the Utes played during the regular season. This is a group that has lost three games and should be judged as such, but their recent form is worth the extra boost up the charts.
- Number 13 Oregon (-8): An adjustment was needed not only because of the loss but the different nature of the defeat against Utah. The Utes are hot, as we mentioned above, but Oregon’s limited efforts to fix the shortfall do not build confidence in the Ducks as one of the top five or 10 teams. most national. The good news is that Oregon can get their revenge with a Pac-12 championship, but first they have to take care of business against an Oregon State team playing with utter confidence.
- Number 21 Wake Forest (-8): Our voters pulled Demon Deacons down outside the top 20 after their second loss in three games, and analysis of the positions between 20 and 30 shows the logjam from ACC Atlantic’s action. Wake Forest recently had a win against 23 NC State and only lost to number 26 Clemson. So, even though Clemson beat Wake Forest, it would have lost more, and the defeat to NC State prevented the head-to-head outcome that determines the rankings. Related: all three teams entered the mix to win at ACC Atlantic, although Wake Forest was the only team with a “win and you stay” scenario when it came to Boston College for the finale.
- No. 45 Auburn (-16): In terms of college football rankings, Auburn is the “big loser All Stars” team of 2021. Losses to Penn State, Georgia and Texas A&M – even Mississippi State – are easier to negotiate thanks to good wins before Ole Miss and Arkansas. But South Carolina doesn’t meet the same standards, and now with five losses, it’s hard to argue Auburn is in the top 40.
Watch the rest of CBS Sports 130: Teams ranked 26-130
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-michigan-vs-ohio-state-becomes-top-five-battle-in-new-cbs-sports-130/ College Football Rankings: Michigan vs. Ohio State becomes top 5 battle in new CBS Sports 130