School basketball begins in lower than a month. (Opening day is Nov. 9.) So we have nonetheless received a while, however you recognize video games can be right here earlier than too lengthy. That in thoughts, I could not go one other day with out handing over our largest piece of preseason content material at CBS Sports activities: my beloved/unpropitious/mockable/earnest No. 1-358 rating of each college in males’s school hoops.
We do that yearly and would not you recognize it yearly I get each staff in precisely the precise order. Do not even hassle going again to earlier seasons to fact-check me. Waste of your time.
We’re teasing you by breaking this up into three elements. The No. 1-358 will run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week. As we speak’s opening salvo has capsules for groups ranked 201st via 358th. That is a considerable inhabitants of the game — 44.4% of it. On this part you will discover extra than simply dangerous groups. (I am afraid to report there are such a lot of dangerous groups.) There are many good ones. Fascinating squads abound! There’ll inevitably be a crew or two or 10 in right here that wind up wildly overshooting expectations and switch themselves into league contenders of their mid- and low-major conferences.
You possibly can rely on it: at the very least three of those applications will make their approach to the NCAA Tournament in six months.
We have small-school stat monsters, coaches on the rise, intriguing rebuild tasks and like 17 faculties with a Wildcat nickname. Plus: there’s one other new staff to Division I this yr. Have you learnt who it’s? Learn and scroll to search out out.
Listed here are groups 201-358 for the 2021-22 school basketball season.
201. VMI: Kamdyn Curfman and Trey Bonham return to assist reigning SoCon coach of the yr Dan Earl push upward within the league. Again-to-back profitable seasons are very arduous to return by at VMI; they’ve solely occurred as soon as within the earlier 20 years.
202. Penn: If the Quakers wind up making me look silly and switch right into a top-three Ivy staff that finishes someplace nearer to 130 within the metrics, likelihood is combo guard Jordan Dingle could have morphed right into a top-two man within the convention.
203. Georgia Southern: I am instructed this can be a actually enjoyable group to educate; will probably be one of many extra veteran-laden mid-majors this season as properly. To wit: Grant Weatherford. The man began his profession at Purdue in 2015: This can be his seventh season of school! He is engaged on a second grasp’s. PG Tre Cobbs, his younger’un teammate, is in his sixth yr.
204. Central Michigan: That is head job No. 3 for Tony Barbee, who was 82-52 at UTEP and 49-75 at Auburn. Exhausting to see the Chippewas being a drive within the MAC, however even the bottom-tier groups in that league normally do not fall far past this spot, traditionally. It ought to come as no shock to study that is nearly a completely new roster.
205. Milwaukee: I can 100% declare that is essentially the most fascinating sub-200 staff I’ve ever ranked as a result of it is the one sub-200 staff I’ve ever ranked that has a possible top-five NBA decide on the roster. Pat Baldwin Jr. opted to remain residence, play for his father and make the Horizon League as engaging as it has been in a very long time.
206. Stephen F. Austin: From 2008-2021, the Lumberjacks received six Southland titles, two NCAA Event video games and averaged 23.6 wins (and it could have been 24 or 25 had final season included solely 21 video games). Now SFA is within the WAC and I believe the addition goes to place that league to persistently be top-20 once more.
207. Loyola Maryland: I nonetheless cannot consider this occurred nevertheless it did: Loyola Maryland had a participant chosen within the first spherical of the 2021 NBA Draft. Santi Aldama averaged 21.2 factors, 10.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.7 blocks for this Patriot League program. The query is, how large, actually, is the void left by Aldama, contemplating the Greyhounds went 6-11 final season?
208. Montana State: With C Jubrile Belo seeking to shoot at the very least 60% from the sphere for a 3rd straight season, count on the Bobcats to earn their maintain within the paint, on the line and with a superb chunk of seniors.
209. Elon: What’s going to in the end swimsuit coach Mike Schrage properly is his embrace of positionless ball. On the mid-major stage that is not all the time a sensible method, however Elon’s been discovering a click on to its model in two years below Schrage’s tutelage. Title to know: Hunter McIntosh can be first-team All-CAA.
210. Valparaiso: Valpo’s been within the Missouri Valley for 4 seasons and is but to complete above .500 in league play. Good shot to interrupt that streak this season. Oh, we’ve got a moniker change, and it is laughably terrible. Valpo was the Crusaders. Now they’re the Beacons. I am not kidding. Beacons.
211. Cal State Bakersfield: Shaun Williams ought to develop from being a 10-a-night man to 15-a-night. This is not a staff anticipated to have dependable minutes-getters off the bench, so profitable the warfare of attrition goes to be key for the Roadrunners within the Huge West.
212. Southern Miss: Jaron Pierre might properly sneak onto C-USA’s second staff by March. It is easy to fall prey to the concept groups that completed 310th or 280th or 172nd in a predictive metric can be inside 10-20 spots of that yr over yr, nevertheless it’s essential to shake up expectations. So I am going to journey with this (272 at Torvik) staff making a hop.
213. Saint Peter’s: The nation’s No.1 shotblocker final season was none aside from Peacock KC Ndefo (3.6 per sport), who additionally swiped 1.4 steals for good measure. With him again, this can be a tasty NEC contender. That is nearly by no means the case with this college.
214. Abilene Christian: Brette Tanner is one in every of greater than 15 new head coaches who have been promoted in-house again in March/April. It is a stable alternative; Tanner was Joe Golding’s high assistant the earlier two seasons, which ended with Abilene within the NCAA Event. Now it is within the WAC and can goal for a top-five end.
215. Pacific: When Brad Stevens left his submit as Celtics coach, it opened up an opportunity for an unlikely successor in Ime Udoka. And who’s a longtime pal of Udoka’s? Former Pacific coach Damon Stoudamire, which suggests the Tigers promoted Leonard Perry. The WCC is stacked within the high half, so a sixth-place end is a sensible objective.
216. Army: Had an opportunity to see Jimmy Allen’s staff in individual final season and it was no shock to finally see the Black Knights end above .500. This can be a defense-first group that has the perfect defender within the Patriot League in Josh Caldwell.
217. Northern Illinois: Trendon Hankerson (13.9 ppg) is a go-to on offense; Chris Osten is a lockdown defender. Rashon Burno, who received this job from Arizona State, introduced Osten with him. NIU stored six gamers yr over yr regardless of the teaching change.
218. Kansas Metropolis: Uncommon is the staff as of late that runs a beneficiant load of its offense via an in-the-paint participant, however the Roos have PF Josiah Allick again. He’ll in all probability have one of many heaviest utilization percentages in D-I.
219. Evansville: Jawaun Newton and Shamar Givance coming again for Todd Lickliter’s staff means it is seemingly the Purple Aces will be capable to decide off a foe right here or there within the high half of the Missouri Valley. One of many hardest scouts within the league.
220. Detroit: Strolling bucket Antoine Davis is averaging 24.9 factors for his three-year profession and has amassed 2,040. He’ll have to common north of 30 per evening and have Detroit play at the very least 33 video games to achieve the uncommon 3,000-point membership. (Final season’s 22-game schedule is what’s in all probability going to carry him again.)
221. Mount St. Mary’s: The Mount made the NCAA tourney for the third time in eight years in March however loses high participant Damian Chong Qui, who’s going to complete at Purdue Fort Wayne. Nana Opoku and Mezie Offurum change into big-shoulder gamers for Dan Engelstad.
222. Southeast Missouri State: SEMO returns quite a lot of weapons, and Brad Korn’s membership carries a repute for being a problem to deal with for 40 minutes. That is the OVC sleeper, led by Chris Harris (12.3 ppg) and Eric Reed (11.0 ppg).
223. Jacksonville State: Jacksonville College and Jacksonville State are as soon as once more members of the identical convention – the ASUN. However do not be fooled. This college is in Jacksonville, Alabama, which is sort of 450 miles northwest of Jacksonville, Florida.
224. Morgan State: The Bears and Norfolk State have been clearly 1 and a couple of within the MEAC final season. Anticipate extra of the identical, as Kevin Broadus tries to convey this staff again to the Huge Dance for the primary time since 2010.
225. Oakland: Greg Kampe’s received a primary staff all league-caliber participant with Jalen Moore, who had the No. 2 help fee within the nation final season (45.9%) whereas additionally taking 14 pictures nightly. Few guys are as actually important to their mid-major staff like Moore.
226. UNC Asheville: Senior wing L.J. Thorpe might change into one of many elite 3-and-D mid-major gamers within the nation. The Bulldogs are a enjoyable darkish horse to take the Huge South, and doubtless end fourth at worst.
227. Troy: Nick Stampley is a rugged, clean-up-the-trash participant and Zay Williams is a beanpole of a defender. All starters return, so Scott Cross’ Trojans will make the leap this yr within the Solar Belt.
228. Florida Gulf Coast: I really like this: USC and coach Andy Enfield are returning to FGCU on Nov. 16 to play a highway sport on the college Enfield took to the Candy 16 in 2013 — the run that received him the USC job. Michael Fly’s group could have the most important residence sport in class historical past.
230. UTSA: There aren’t 5 applications that can miss a participant greater than the Roadrunners will miss Jhivvan Jackson, who scored greater than 2,500 factors and was one of the vital proficient bucket-getters in C-USA historical past.
231. Northern Colorado: Steve Smiley’s staff solely allowed 22.3% of its opponents’ pictures to return from 3-point vary final season, which was the stingiest defensive fee within the nation. UNC went 11-11.
232. Hofstra: We have a comparatively uncommon case of the perfect participant in class historical past teaching his alma mater. Speedy Claxton enters Yr One. He led the then-Flying Dutchmen to the 2000 NCAAs and was the twentieth decide in that yr’s NBA Draft. Vibes are excessive on Lengthy Island.
233. Southeastern Louisiana: Your Southland darkish horse in 2022. David Kiefer has a staff that is lastly wholesome and counting on Keon Clergeot (15.9 ppg) and Ryan Burkhardt (38% from 3-point vary), each gamers who began their careers elsewhere.
234. Cal Baptist: Nonetheless not NCAA Event-eligible, however via three seasons in D-I the Lancers are 50-35 with a fifth-pace, second-place and fourth-place end. Properly finished, Rick Croy.
235. Jackson State: There have been 11 groups final season that claimed a profitable streak of at the very least 12 video games vs. D-I groups. These groups: Gonzaga, Baylor, San Diego State, Belmont, Winthrop, Morehead State, UC Santa Barbara, Colgate, Drake, Prairie View A&M and your Jackson State Tigers.
236. Hawaii: Final season’s staff needed to wait till Jan. 8 to play its first sport in opposition to a D-I foe, then performed 19 video games in two months’ time. The excellent news is Samuta Avea (10.8 ppg) is again after happening hiatus final season due to the pandemic.
237. Monmouth: We give thanks that yet another season of George Papas is on the desk, all due to the bonus yr accessible for all. UNC switch Walker Miller may very well be a vital addition within the MAAC for the Hawks.
238. Western Michigan: B. Artis White is all of 155 kilos and possibly 5-foot-10. He is a blast. However the Broncos will not be shifting up a lot within the MAC except they’re now not what they have been a yr in the past: the worst staff within the league at turning the ball over and forcing the opposite staff into giveaways.
239. UMass Lowell: Affordable to imagine that shedding Obadiah Noel (21.4 ppg, and possibly the perfect participant within the America East final season) will imply Lowell slips a tad after making the America East championship sport.
240. Wagner: The Seahawks common 11 league wins throughout Bashir Mason’s 9 years with this system. Not but received a postseason title. Will it occur in 2022?
241. Center Tennessee: The most important cause the Blue Raiders have not clicked but below Nick McDevitt is capturing. In McDevitt’s 5 seasons with UNC Asheville (2013-18) his groups averaged 93rd nationally in efficient discipline objective proportion. In his three seasons with MTSU: 307th.
242. Tarleton State: In this system’s first season of D-I (amid a pandemic) the Texans performed 5 non-DI faculties final season. That quantity drops to a few in 2021-22, with 4 video games vs. 2021 match groups. Reminder: Billy Gillispie coaches right here.
243. Longwood: This staff completed 9-4 final season. I am pumping the brakes a bit as a result of there is probably not an elite mid-major participant on the roster, however maybe Griff Aldrich does have a staff ascending within the Huge South.
244. American: Few groups that opted to play final season competed in fewer video games than American (10), a 4-6 ending in opposition to solely 4 opponents. Mike Brennan’s staff can be champing on the bit.
245. George Washington: The Colonials ought to have 4 double-digit scorers, led by junior lead guard James Bishop. GW must drive the problem with its man-to-man protection with a purpose to scoot up within the A-10.
246. New Mexico: Win percentage-wise, UNM is within the midst of its worst run because the early Eighties. So in comes Richard Pitino (159-137 profession file) to show this factor round. Pitino introduced Jamal Mashburn Jr. with him from Minnesota; Mashburn may very well be a top-five Mountain West participant in a yr’s time.
247. Idaho State: Who would not need their greatest participant to boast the final title Cool? The Bengals can be an element within the Huge Sky with Tarik Cool, plus the very fact greater than 80% of the staff’s factors and rebounds return from final season’s 13-11 staff.
248. Merrimack: Joe Gallo’s received 5 starters again, and bear in mind, two seasons in the past this staff received the NEC regular-season title regardless of not but being eligible to make the NCAA Event. Darkish horse once more.
249. Niagara: Greg Paulus appears to be constructing a program in his picture up by the Falls. The Purple Eagles convey again Marcus Hammond, Raheem Solomon and Justin Roberts — a crucial vet presence within the MAAC.
250. Cornell: This program in all probability has extra query marks than every other Ivy League staff, however I’ll zag a bit right here and predict it does not end final within the standings.
251. Little Rock: Enjoyable truth: Beloved former NC State participant Julius Hodge is an assistant at this college. The Trojans will attempt to be a counter to a lot of the different groups within the Solar Belt by taking part in large and counting on power inside to muscle-out victories.
252. Tennessee Tech: Jr. Clay (17.3 ppg, 3.7 apg) coming again means TTU could have a stud, somebody with 30-in-a-night potential within the OVC. The Golden Eagles received three of their closing six final season after going 2-19 initially, so the arrow is flickering in the precise course.
253. Charleston: All that profitable at Winthrop did Pat Kelsey good, as he is now right here after Earl Grant wound up being the rent at Boston College. If Kelsey retains it up, he’ll have Charleston ruling the CAA by his third season.
254. Long Beach State: Dan Monson (now in his fifteenth season with the Seaside) appears to have the wild-card group of the Huge West. Velocity ’em up and see what spins out.
255. Illinois State: Vital yr forward for the most important Chicago Bears fan that is a head coach in school hoops. (As a Bears fan, I’ve gotta point out it.) Dan Muller’s Redbirds are attempting to keep away from a 3rd straight sub-.500 season for the primary time in program historical past.
256. Youngstown State: Did not get above .500 within the Horizon League final season, extending YSU’s streak of not having two consecutive seasons at .500 or higher in convention play to twenty years.
257. Columbia: Because the Ivy League does not have scholarships — however we do have this bonus yr for all these gamers — Ivy applications could have between 15-20 guys in uniform on the bench in ’21-22. Let’s get bizarre.
258. Sacramento State: The Hornets’ residence area is likely one of the most aptly named within the sport: The Nest. No company sponsorship. Simply The Nest. It is one of many 5 smallest gyms in D-I. I gotta discover a approach to catch a sport there sometime.
259. High Point: An important second for Excessive Level coach Tubby Smith is approaching New Yr’s Eve. That is when Kentucky — the college he coached for nearly a decade and led to the 1998 nationwide title — will welcome him again and honor him previous to the Excessive Level-UK sport at Rupp Enviornment.
260. Boston University: I had a number of coaches in current weeks counsel to me that there is going to be a significant break up, typically, on the mid- and low-major stage this season between groups that return all their starters and ones which have three at most. BU’s one other such staff with all 5 predominant guys again.
261. UT Arlington: Greg Younger takes over the Mavs for Chris Ogden, who not solely left as UTA’s coach however took a non-coaching function on Chris Beard’s workers at Texas. So you recognize that paycheck is sweet. Arlington has the texture of a middle-of-the-pack Solar Belt staff, in response to coaches I spoke with.
262. Stony Brook: Former star Elijah Olaniyi is again for yet another season with SBU after spending final yr with the Miami Hurricanes. Jayden Sayles is the important thing man, although, as his inside presence will dictate whether or not or not this staff can clear .50o.
263. Utah Valley: Mark Madsen signed a restructured contract in September to maintain him with UVU via 2026. The Wolverines got here on sturdy late final season and hope to hold that proper into November.
264. Quinnipiac: There is a large alternative for the Bobcats to be the lengthy shot that takes the MAAC. 4 starters again, and the one non-returnee who’ll begin is likely one of the 5 greatest gamers in class historical past. Kevin Marfo returns after a yr at Texas A&M. Bonus yr can pay dividends for a college like QU.
266. Canisius: Although this program hasn’t been a high contender within the MAAC for mainly 22 of the previous 23 years, it is now discovering some footing below Reggie Weatherspoon and has an opportunity to maneuver into the highest three of the league within the subsequent two seasons.
267. Samford: A program reset for the Bulldogs, who misplaced greater than 90% of their manufacturing from a last-place SoCon staff.
268. UAlbany: The Nice Danes enter as a bottom-four staff within the America East, nevertheless it might properly be the final time that ever occurs below first-year coach Dwayne Killings, who is aware of the world properly and employed a powerful workers.
269. Norfolk State: The Spartans made the NCAA Event in March, profitable a 54-53 grinder vs. Appalachian State. Might be a top-two staff once more within the MEAC.
270. Incarnate Word: Shedding Freshman of the Yr Keaston Willis to Louisiana Tech is such a stinger for the Cardinals, who’d be a top-three Southland squad in any other case. However Carson Cunningham has a sturdy level guard in Drew Lutz and a staff that may make a wholesome dose of 3-pointers.
271. New Hampshire: There are some methods for UNH to make strikes in what must be a down yr for the America East. Can the Wildcats take benefit? They’ve by no means made the league closing.
272. Radford: It is a homecoming for Darris Nichols, as the world native received this job after these dominoes toppled: Cincinnati fired its coach; it employed UNC Greensboro coach Wes Miller; UNCG went and employed Mike Jones away from Radford, opening up a spot for Nichols, who left Florida to take his first head job.
273. Lafayette: Leo O’Boyle is again for the Leopards, and let me say I really like the concept there is a participant on the market with the title Leo O’Boyle who made turning into a Division I basketball participant a actuality.
274. Prairie View A&M: Nice alternative on Nov. 13 for this staff when it faces Michigan within the Coaches vs. Racism showcase sport in Washington, D.C. Increasingly HBCU faculties are getting more-accommodating nonconference alternatives vs. energy applications. We like to see it.
275. LIU: What I really like about Derek Kellogg’s groups is how fast they’re tempo-wise (72 possessions per sport on common in his 4 seasons) and the way prepared these quick groups are to share the ball. If he can land legit shooters, LIU is a top-200 program.
276. Lipscomb: The Bisons have a kind of pleasing small-college passing bigs who’re irresistible. Ahsan Asadullah will seemingly lead his staff in factors, boards and dimes once more. By the by, I’ve received the Bisons and the Bison back-to-back right here …
278. Lehigh: It is unusual for Brett Reed’s staff to be projected close to the underside of the Patriot League. That appears possible this season because the Mountain Hawks attempt to get again to regular after taking part in simply 15 video games a season in the past.
279. Manhattan: The Jaspers ought to have the most effective 1-2 combos within the MAAC with Ant Nelson and Warren Williams. Each essential seniors on a staff that ranked final or second-to-last within the convention in free throw proportion, 3-point proportion and defensive rebounding.
280. Purdue Fort Wayne: The Mastodons return 4 starters off an 8-15 staff that was among the many greatest 3-point-shooting golf equipment within the Horizon League. Most essential amongst them: senior guard Jarred Godfrey.
281. FIU: Maryland switch Aquan Sensible must be essentially the most beneficial participant on a Panthers staff that was a disappointment (9-17) in C-USA final season. I am score low primarily based on a foul Jan-March, however this staff has prospects.
282. Dartmouth: I am utilizing this house to focus on Dartmouth graduate senior Brendan Barry, who was final seen averaging 13.2 factors a few years in the past. The Ivy League usually doesn’t permit graduate college students to play basketball, however as a result of pandemic, this yr is a one-time-only exception. It must be a everlasting change; not having this rule is a large drawback for the Ivy League, which already faces sufficient athletic challenges as is.
283. Dixie State: That is the second season as a card-carrying Division I member for the Trailblazers, who’re primarily based out of St. George, Utah, and went 6-13 in opposition to D-I groups final season. Jon Judkins deploys one of many quickest offenses within the sport.
284. Robert Morris: Its first season within the Horizon League was a quagmire. Andy Toole’s staff went 4-15 a yr after being the perfect within the NEC. The Colonials will creep up within the general rankings this yr.
285. North Dakota: Paul Sather’s Preventing Hawks do not seem like a top-of-the-table risk on paper within the Summit League. Bentiu Panoam can be a bucket-getter and their go-to weapon once they invariably discover themselves in tight convention tilts.
287. Saint Francis (PA): Rob Krimmel’s Crimson Flash received off to an exquisite begin final season, profitable by double digits at Pitt. Then it completed 6-16. Alas. First up on this yr’s schedule: at George Washington. Winnable once more!
288. Austin Peay: Nate James won’t be on the Coach Ok farewell tour, as the previous Duke assistant took this job in March. The Govs return key PG Carlos Paez (8.9 ppg, 4.2 apg) and now have Mike Peake (10.7 ppg) again. Nice alternative for James right here.
289. Kennesaw State: 9 of the staff’s high 10 scorers are again, which can 100% equate to a climb within the rankings. Kennesaw State completed 335th in KenPom, so right here comes a bump.
290. Fordham: Kyle Neptune, I believe you’re the man. The Villanova assistant and New York Metropolis native received this job in March from a humongous pool of candidates. Fordham is a ridiculously arduous task within the A-10, however I am saying Neptune will get this staff at the very least to its first 20-win season since — you prepared for this? — the early Nineteen Nineties. Neptune simply landed a top-150 prospect for 2022, so issues are rosy within the Bronx.
291. McNeese State: Heath Schroyer resigned earlier this yr, transitioned to turning into McNeese State’s AD and employed his former assistant, John Aiken, instantly. VCU switch Brendan Medley-Bacon is probably going going to be the perfect incoming participant within the Southland.
292. North Florida: UNF coach Matt Driscoll goes to completely razz me when he finds out I’ve slotted his staff this low. The protection wants a whole makeover first.
293. Cal State Fullerton: Quirky: This staff has two gamers with the final title Maddox Jr. who are usually not associated. Tray Maddox Jr. is possibly one of many 5 greatest gamers within the Huge West, whereas Dante Maddox Jr. may very well be one of many 15 greatest.
294. Fairfield: A sub-300 staff that went 10-17 a season in the past, however the Stags do return all their starters. Sadly, the offense was abysmal, so I have to see some proof earlier than bumping ’em up too far.
295. Florida A&M: Will reap the benefits of a smaller, eight-team MEAC. By the way in which, extra faculties want their logos to aspire to be as menacing because the Florida A&M Rattler. Take a look at this demonic snake. That is an offended reptile.
296. Omaha: A whole lot of new our bodies within the frontcourt for the Mavericks, who went 5-20 however completed the common season profitable three of their closing 4. Small uptick loading.
297. Holy Cross: The Crusaders returning Gerrale Gates and R.J. Johnson (25 factors per sport mixed) will give them an opportunity at not ending final within the Patriot League in Brett Nelson’s third season as coach.
298. Western Carolina: Actual ones bear in mind Justin Grey from when he performed with Chris Paul at Wake Forest. Now Grey, who’s 37, is getting into his first season as a head coach. The Catamounts want a while to prepare dinner.
299. Portland State: In March, you would possibly bear in mind when an unknown coach went viral for saying he does not eat breakfast and that he drives an previous beat up automobile with out AC or warmth. That coach: Portland State’s Jase Coburn. I kinda cannot wait to see what he does right here.
300. Texas A&M Corpus Christi: Steve Lutz spent the previous decade-plus serving as an assistant to Greg McDermott at Creighton and Matt Painter at Purdue. The Islanders ought to ferment right into a enjoyable offensive group in time. This yr’s chief can be senior guard Myles Smith.
301. Air Force: Joe Scott’s groups all the time rank on the backside in tempo. If it is a first-to-70 affair, AFA is normally not profitable that race. However this yr’s staff can be higher than the 5-20 collective from final season.
302. Southern: The Jaguars’ common KenPom rating the previous three seasons below Sean Woods: 297. I’ve received Southern within the high half of the SWAC resulting from its respectable 3-point functionality.
303. UNC Wilmington: The Seahawks misplaced 11 league video games to COVID cancellations final season. Tough. This staff brings on eight new gamers, together with the not-so-common “boomerang” switch: a man who began at one college, left, and got here again. That is Jaylen Fornes, a profession 38% 3-point shooter.
304. Rider: The Broncs have been one of many worst defensive groups within the nation, and it was made worse by the truth that this staff all of a sudden stopped attending to the foul line. After rating 18th in free throw fee on common the three prior seasons, Rider was 240th in 2020-21.
305. Western Illinois: A type of applications with out a rudder. It claims just one 20-win season (in 2012-13) up to now 35 years. The varsity is closely rumored to quickly go away the Summit to affix the OVC.
306. Towson: Transparency: Yearly after I do that there are five-or-so groups that invariably pop up and I wind up rating them a superb 40 or 50 spots under the place my intestine tells me I ought to. However I get the suggestions from different coaches within the league, have a look at the roster, see the developments, and belief. So, if Pat Skerry’s Tigers finish as a top-250 staff, it will not shock me within the least.
307. Grambling: A spherical of applause for Tigers coach Donté Jackson, who in his first 4 years at Grambling has a file of 63-58. Grambling has been .500 or higher all 4 seasons. It is the primary time within the historical past of this system it is gone 4 straight years of .500 or higher.
308. UIC: Flames coach Luke Yaklich, a defensive specialist, truly noticed this staff’s defensive prowess dip in his first season. This yr would be the take a look at, because the Flames need to change into a greater man-to-man outfit.
309. Sacred Heart: You possibly can’t accuse me of hometown bias! That is the closest college to the place I dwell, and Anthony Latina routinely overshoots expectations. However it’s trying just like the Pioneers can be in a retooling time within the months forward.
310. SIU Edwardsville: Briane Barone and his workers consider this program is all however two years away from taking command within the OVC. Freshman Desmond Polk can be among the many greatest first-year gamers within the convention.
311. Jacksonville: Not even a 90-minute transfer for Jordan Mincy, who left his assistant’s submit at Florida to take his first head job with the Dolphins. A hodgepodge roster in yr one will make for an uphill climb within the second-lowest elevated state.
312. CSUN: Bear in mind when Cal State Northridge employed Mark Gottfried a number of years in the past when his former NC State program was within the midst of an enormous NCAA investigation due to the fallout from the FBI probe? And everybody in school athletics requested what the hell CSUN was considering? Properly, Gottfried and his whole workers received suspended in April, they continue to be on paid go away, and now the previously retired Trent Johnson is interim coach. Mess.
313. North Carolina A&T: New league alert. The Aggies are out of the MEAC and into the Huge South. Being a top-10 turnover fee staff a season in the past will assist them alter to the brand new environment.
314. Marist: If John Dunne’s offense can discover even half a groove, the Crimson Foxes will make headway. However there’s a lot to show right here at a college that hasn’t completed above .500 since 2008.
315. Eastern Michigan: Fairly clearly appears to be the worst staff within the MAC heading in, however the excellent news is new coach Stan Heath is acquainted with this convention. In any case, he was at Kent State in 2002 when he led that program to an Elite Eight.
316. UC San Diego: Within the Tritons’ first season of D-I play they completed 3-10 vs. D-I groups, all of them intra-conference video games in opposition to the Huge West. I am not anticipating an excessive amount of progress in yr two.
317. Portland: Shantay Legans parlayed his NCAA Event journey with Eastern Washington to getting a superb job with a very steep climb within the WCC. This program should not be this dangerous so usually.
318. Green Bay: The Phoenix are of their second season below Will Ryan (son of Bo Ryan) and are working their approach to relevancy within the Horizon League. Private notice. Given I dwell in Connecticut, that is in all probability essentially the most surprising/random college I’ve ever been to for a sport.
320. San Jose State: I believe Tim Miles can pull San Jose State into the highest half of the Mountain West finally. However this yr can be brutal, most notably as a result of the NCAA cold-bloodedly suspended his greatest participant, Richard Washington, for all the season after Washington did not correctly observe pre-draft protocols earlier than deciding to return to highschool.
321. Louisiana Monroe: In all probability going to be an extended season for one of many smallest groups within the Solar Belt. This was the worst staff within the league on the boards a season in the past, and that is not prone to change.
322. Presbyterian: A seven-win staff that returns all starters. Thank the bonus yr, certain, however within the yr 2021 the thought you can go 7-15 and never lose one in every of your 5 greatest gamers is masterful roster administration by Quinton Ferrell.
323. St. Francis Brooklyn: Rob Higgins and Trey Quartlebaum are the fellows/guards who will attempt to get the Terriers into the highest half of the NEC.
324. NJIT: Primarily based on what I’ve heard from others within the league, the Highlanders in all probability will not have almost sufficient offense to make them an America East contender.
325. William & Mary: This is the dilemma. William & Mary returns 2021 CAA Rookie of the Yr Connor Kochera. He’ll seemingly be higher. If he sticks round for 4 years, he can convey W&M to the highest three within the CAA. However can Dane Fischer keep away from having his greatest participant poached earlier than then?
326. Eastern Illinois: Jay Spoonhour was let go after 9 seasons, so again into the MVC is Marty Simmons. Henry Abraham is the perfect returning participant, however Simmons’ movement offense will imply this roster will play via rising pains.
327. Northern Arizona: One other low-major that noticed its two greatest gamers go away within the switch portal, seemingly which means that hitting 10 wins is a sensible objective.
328. IUPUI: Yet one more program (hey, there’s greater than 60) with a brand new coach. Right here, it is Matt Crenshaw, who graduated from the college 17 years in the past and continues to be IUPUI’s chief in assists.
329. Coppin State: Former Maryland hero Juan Dixon is now in his fifth season with the Eagles, and he is coming off his greatest one. Coppin State completed 291st, its highest KenPom rating since 2011-12. Second-year guard Nendah Tarke can be a top-five man within the MEAC.
330. Charleston Southern: The Huge South is now a 12-team league, and coming off a 3-18 exhibiting in 2020-21, I’ve received the Buccaneers pulling the caboose within the convention.
331. Cal Poly: The Mustangs have had 4 straight seasons with single-digit win totals. Will ’21-22 break the streak? I do not consider it can, as that is seemingly the cellar dweller of the Huge West once more.
332. UTRGV: Matt Figger left what many thought was a greater job (Austin Peay) for a spot he believes has the next ceiling. That in all probability will not be evident within the first yr. The athletic division can also be nonetheless working via the grieving course of over the dying of former coach Lew Hill, who died in the midst of final season.
333. Fairleigh Dickinson: There’s in all probability an excessive amount of roster turnover for Greg Herenda to complete something higher than eighth within the NEC. Search for in two years and this staff may very well be within the league title sport, although.
334. Lamar: A chance for one thing particular right here. Former Houston assistant Alvin Brooks received his likelihood at this job within the midst of UH’s Closing 4 run. This is the factor: Brooks performed at Lamar and made the Candy 16 with this system within the early Eighties. He is within the college’s corridor of fame and began his teaching profession there, too.
335. Houston Baptist: Sophomore Za-Ontay Boothman (10.2 ppg) is a combo guard on the rise within the Southland, however tremendous senior Hunter Janacek can be most pivotal for Ron Cottrell’s staff. If junior ahead Jason Thompson can keep wholesome, this group can be higher than 335th.
336. North Carolina Central: LeVelle Moton is 212-157 in 12 years with the Eagles. Protected to say at this level he is the most effective coaches within the historical past of the MEAC. Nonetheless, this staff received simply 5 video games a season in the past and misplaced 4 starters.
337. Binghamton: Can Binghamton ever climb out of the America East cellar? Levell Sanders is getting his shot, as an interim, for the yr forward. Gardner-Webb switch Jacob Falko could be one of many hardest pound-for-pound guys within the convention.
339. Hampton: Three starters return for the Pirates, who can declare to be the No. 1-ranked staff in school basketball final season in an essential class. Hampton led the nation by blocking 16.1% of opponents’ pictures.
340. South Carolina State: As is commonly the case, a superb chunk of faculties within the backside 20-or-so are present process reboots with new coaches. That is true of the Bulldogs, who employed Tony Madlock.
341. North Alabama: I admit this can be a drastic projection for a staff that made a shock run to the ASUN title sport, however that is nonetheless a program-build for a college that is not but eligible for the NCAA tourney due to its ongoing transition part in D-I.
342. Howard: Final season was a misplaced alternative, because the extremely publicized dedication of former five-star prospect Makur Maker led to a five-game season for the Bison that noticed Maker play in a single sport. One great point for this program: Rod Balanis left his submit after 21 years as an assistant at Notre Dame to be Howard coach Kenny Blakeney’s No. 1 assistant. The 2 performed collectively in highschool.
343. Northwestern State: Mike McConathy enters his twenty third yr with this system, and he’ll have Kendal Coleman (a second staff all-league-caliber participant within the Southland) as a double-double man. Larry Owens returning for yet another go-around can also be large for the Demons.
344. Idaho: Speak about a season from hell. The Vandals went 1-21 in a pandemic and averaged 61.0 factors. I predict six occasions as many wins this season!
345. Central Connecticut State: The Donyell Marshall period introduced little success, so after 4 seasons CCSU employed alum Pat Sellers. Sellers is an space native, has coached within the northeast for a lot of his life and has the small however passionate base sanguine concerning the future.
346. Central Arkansas: One other inter-conference transfer, because the Bears left the Southland to affix the ASUN, the place they’re universally anticipated to complete final of their first yr within the league.
347. UT Martin: New coach Ryan Ridder, through Bethune-Cookman, has a bottom-tier OVC staff with not one participant who was on the roster a season in the past. However there are quite a lot of veteran guys, seemingly led by FIU switch Bernie Andre, a 6-6 small ahead.
348. Alabama State: NBA champion Mo Williams is in his second season. The transforming of a program in his imaginative and prescient continues. Inside the subsequent two years, it is believable he’ll have the most effective groups within the SWAC.
349. USC Upstate: Dave Dickerson is making an attempt to get the Spartans out of the basement of the Huge South. Capturing would be the largest concern for a staff that is at the very least received sufficient returning gamers to keep away from being a walkover.
350. St. Thomas: D-I’s latest staff additionally offers Minnesota (the college is in St. Paul) a second D-I program. The NCAA cleared a waiver for the college to make the uncommon, cut-the-line soar from D-III to D-I. Nickname: the Tommies. Hey, a novel one! Not one other Wildcat, Tiger, Hawk or Bulldog (thank god). St. Thomas is within the Summit League.
351. UMES: Outdoors of the Ivy League, there have been however a few faculties that didn’t play a sport final season. The Hawks right here have been one in every of them. Da’Shawn Phillip can be crucial participant on a staff that is seemingly bottom-three within the MEAC.
352. Bethune-Cookman: The SWAC swells to a 12-team league; Bethune-Cookman is likely one of the additions after not taking part in final season. Its new coach is a well-recognized title, although his hiring got here unexpectedly: Reggie Theus. Final seen teaching CSUN in 2018.
353. Arkansas-Pine Bluff: The curious ripple results of the NCAA Event. Pine Bluff coach George Ivory retires, and Solomon Bozeman winds up getting the job. The place did Bozeman come from? The 33-year-old was an assistant final season at Oral Roberts, which pulled off a Candy 16 run as a No. 15 seed.
354. Maine: Why Black Bear basketball is so interesting to the hardcore northeast school hoops fan: there is a participant from Saskatchewan (Adefolarin Adetogun) who will star for this staff. He and Stephane Ingo would be the focal factors for a membership that solely performed 9 video games final season.
355. Alcorn State: The previous 5 seasons’ win totals for the Braves: 18, 11, 10, 15, 6. This system is probably going within the midst of a two-year nadir earlier than it crests again towards the highest half of the SWAC.
356. Mississippi Valley State: The Delta Devils’ common KenPom rating the previous eight seasons: 348. Former NBAer Lindsey Hunter enters his third season with a 5-49 file. This was the lowest-ranked staff within the sport final season, per KenPom.
357. Delaware State: The Hornets employed Stan Waterman, and why not? You are a MEAC college in want of a change of tempo. Waterman received greater than 550 video games and eight state titles as a highschool coach. I like this method. Give it a attempt.
358. Chicago State: Chicago State performed 9 video games final season, halting previous to Christmas resulting from COVID and basic instability inside the program. Gerald Gillion was employed in July, and he’ll inherit three returning gamers, the perfect of the bunch being Coreyoun Rushin.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/information/college-basketball-rankings-countdown-of-every-team-begins-with-nos-358-201-for-the-2021-22-season/ | School basketball rankings: Countdown of each staff begins with Nos. 358-201 for the 2021-22 season