Children at Alaska Summer Camp drank soil sealant instead of milk

A group of parents who sent their children to summer camp in Juneau, Alaska, are furious after they found out their children were given Hillyard Seal 341 soil sealant instead of milk on Tuesday. To make matters worse, the RALLY camp only notified the parents after calling the poison control center and monitoring them for illness, rather than involving the parents when the mistake was made.

Twelve children, ages 5 to 12, and two adults drank the chemical during breakfast, according to Cassie Olin, director of administrative services at Glacier Valley Elementary School. “There have been some of our children who are enrolled there who have been a served bottom seal compared to some milk and it’s still being investigated,” Olin told News of the North.

According to Lt. Krag Campbell is also being investigated by the Juneau Police Department into the mishap.

Lt. Krag Campbell of the Juneau Police Department has said officers are investigating the incident. “Although JPD is investigating this incident, at this time there is no information to show it is a criminal investigation,” he wrote in a statement to KINY radio. “We’re just trying to figure out what happened.”

The mistake apparently happened within the NANA Management Services that supply the camp. “All breakfast components were served by NANA Management Services staff and placed on food trays, which the students took to a cafeteria table for consumption,” JSD chief of staff Kristin Barlett told local media. “Shortly after breakfast was served, the students complained that the milk tasted bad and their mouth/throat burned. The Juneau School District RALLY and NMS staff immediately smelled/tasted the milk and looked at the container/label.”

When the mistake was discovered, camp staff told children to stop consuming it, called the local poison control center and followed all instructions, but didn’t call the parents immediately, according to several parents, who said they were only informed by noon , almost three hours after breakfast was served. Many parents were told the children were served paint thinner, but were later told it was floor sealer.

Barry Nydam, whose 7-year-old daughter consumed the chemicals, expressed anger at the man Daily news from Anchorage. “I don’t see my daughter going there anymore,” he said. “You would have to remove the people running it and have new people running it.”

Rhyan Nydam, the 7-year-old’s mother, told the newspaper she was upset by the call. “She called and told me there were traces of paint thinner in the drinks,” Nydam said, referring to the administrator who called. “And I’m just like, ‘What does that even mean?'”

She added that the parents should have been called immediately. “I just can’t believe it took so long to tell me, you know? If I wanted to take my child to the hospital, I wouldn’t have even known,” she told the newspaper. Children at Alaska Summer Camp drank soil sealant instead of milk


Inter Reviewed is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button