Cam Newton reunites with Panthers, plus NFL playoff projections entering Week 10 and Ravens-Dolphins picks
Girls and gents, welcome to the Thursday version of the Decide Six E-newsletter!
Because it’s Thursday, which means there’s an precise NFL sport being performed tonight, though I exploit the phrase “sport” very loosely and that is as a result of the Dolphins are concerned. Watching precise Dolphins play soccer would arguably be extra thrilling than what we have seen from Miami this 12 months.
Although the Ravens-Dolphins sport may not be that thrilling, it is nonetheless soccer, so we’ll be overlaying it extensively in right now’s publication. We’ll even be overlaying Cam Newton’s return to Carolina! Truthfully, I believed I’d see a cat converse English earlier than I would see Newton return to the Panthers, however right here we’re. On that be aware, let’s get to the rundown.
As at all times, here is your weekly reminder to inform all your folks to join the Decide Six publication. To get your folks to enroll, all it’s a must to do is click here and then share this link with them.
1. In the present day’s present: Ravens-Dolphins betting preview
When you’re planning on betting any cash on tonight’s sport, then you are going to need to ensure to take heed to right now’s episode of the podcast earlier than you place any bets. For right now’s present, Will Brinson introduced on CBSSports author Tyler Sullivan, and the 2 went into full playing mode.
Listed here are a number of props they like for the sport:
- Lamar Jackson OVER 232.5 passing yards (-130). The Ravens have performed eight video games this season and Jackson has gone over this complete in seven of them. Most groups are so centered on stopping the run after they play the Ravens that it leaves issues open for Jackson to cube them up via the air.
- Mark Andrews OVER 3.5 receptions (-110). Andrews has gone over this complete in six of Baltimore’s previous seven video games and there is not any motive to suppose he will not do it once more in opposition to a Dolphins protection that has been struggling to cease anybody this 12 months.
- Jaylen Waddle OVER 60.5 receiving yards (-115). In what may come as a shock to most individuals, the Ravens are giving up the second-most move yards per sport within the NFL this 12 months, which may open the door for Waddle to have a giant night time.
- Lengthy shot prop: Marquise Brown to attain the primary TD of the sport (+800). Brown has six landing catches on the season, which leads the Ravens, so we all know that Lamar Jackson likes to search for him as soon as Baltimore will get close to the top zone. At +800 (win $80 on a $10 guess), this prop is a fairly stable worth.
For extra props and their precise predictions for tonight’s sport, be sure to click here so you’ll be able to take heed to right now’s episode. When you’d rather watch today’s show, you can now do that on YouTube by clicking here!
2. Thursday night time preview: Prepping you for Ravens at Dolphins
I am not going to lie, tonight’s sport appears like a complete mismatch. Nonetheless, I am going to undoubtedly nonetheless be watching and that is as a result of it looks as if each primetime sport has gone right down to the wire this 12 months. One motive I will not be sleeping on the Dolphins is as a result of they’re shocking good in November dwelling video games. Since 2018, they’re 5-1 at dwelling in November.
My good buddy Jared Dubin put collectively our deep-dive preview for this sport at CBS Sports activities, and here is how he sees it enjoying out:
- Why the Ravens can win: This one comes right down to basic math: Not solely do the Ravens have one of the high-powered offenses within the NFL (427.9 yards per sport, which ranks second within the league), however they get to play one of many worst defenses within the NFL. (The Dolphins are surrendering 391.6 yards per sport this season, which is the third-most within the league.) Mainly, it could possibly be an enormous night time for the Ravens offense and it is robust to think about the Dolphins maintaining.
- Why the Dolphins can win: The Dolphins are solely averaging 17.2 factors per sport — the fifth-lowest quantity within the NFL — and that is most likely not going to get significantly better tonight contemplating it is not even clear who their beginning QB goes to be. (Tua Tagovailoa is banged up and Jacoby Brissett will get the beginning if he cannot go.) This principally signifies that if the Dolphins are going to tug off the upset, they’re possible going to wish a miracle sport from their protection. If the protection can pressure a number of turnovers and provides their offense brief fields to work with, that can possible be the a technique the Dolphins can win right here. Additionally, the Ravens do have the second-worst move protection within the NFL, so if the Dolphins can make the most of that, they could have the ability to pull off the upset.
You can get a full preview of the game from Dubin by clicking here. The Ravens are at the moment favored by 7.5 factors.
Dubin’s choose: Ravens 30-17 over Dolphins.
My choose: Ravens 30-20 over Dolphins.
When you’re enthusiastic about betting on the sport, Tyler Sullivan put collectively a full playing preview.
- ONE PROP TYLER LIKES: Marquise Brown OVER 4.5 receptions (+130): “Lamar Jackson has thrown in Brown’s course 26 occasions over the past two weeks and the receiver has gone over this prop in 5 video games this 12 months. The Hollywood, Florida, native will definitely need to present out in entrance of his hometown Thursday, so he could possibly be in for a giant sport.”
- ONE PROP I LIKE: Justin Tucker OVER 7.5 kicking factors (+105): The Ravens kicker is averaging 8.4 factors per sport this season, so getting plus cash on him scoring greater than 7.5 factors appears like a fairly stable worth. Additionally, he is gone over 7.5 factors in two of Baltimore’s previous three video games, which incorporates scoring 10 factors within the Ravens’ Week 9 win over the Vikings.
You’ll be able to check out Sullivan’s full gambling preview by clicking here.
3. NFL playoff projections heading into Week 10
With 9 weeks of the NFL season formally within the books, which means we’re precisely midway via the 12 months, which makes proper now the right time to start out speaking concerning the playoffs. With regards to the postseason, the one factor anybody desires to know is whether or not their favourite workforce goes to make it, which is why we determined to do some projections!
To determine who’s going to make the playoffs this 12 months, we had Stephen Oh of SportsLine crunch some numbers. We used these numbers to mission the 14 groups we anticipate to make the playoffs.
Here is how our projection breaks down for each conferences:
The most important shock within the AFC is that the Browns and Chiefs are each projected to overlook the playoffs. Additionally, as a famous Bengals homer, I’ll publicly make it identified that Oh is not going to be getting a Christmas card from me this 12 months since he is leaving Cincinnati out. Within the NFC, the one actual shock is that the Vikings are projected to get the seventh seed.
In keeping with Oh’s projections, the Payments are at the moment the workforce favored to win all of it. If you need extra particulars on the projections, together with what the playoff likelihood is for all 32 groups, be sure to click here. Moreover playoff projections, we additionally had seven of our NFL writers (INCLUDING MYSELF) make midseason predictions on who’s going to make the playoffs and also you can see those predictions by clicking here.
4. NFL midseason predictions
With Week 10 kicking off tonight, which means we needed to hurry up and get out our midseason predictions right now since it would now not technically be midseason after the Thursday night time sport begins. With 9 of the NFL’s 18 weeks within the bag, we determined to spherical up seven of our writers after which requested every of them to foretell how the remainder of the season goes to interrupt down.
Here’s what they’re predicting:
Super Bowl winner
Rams (2 votes)
Packers (2 votes)
Payments (1 vote)
Buccaneers (1 vote)
Chiefs (1 vote)
Private be aware: I voted for the Packers, however solely as a result of they have been my preseason choose and I am not going stab the preseason model of myself within the again by going in opposition to the choose.
Tom Brady (3)
Lamar Jackson (2)
Kyler Murray (2)
Defensive Participant of the 12 months
T.J. Watt (3)
Myles Garrett (3)
Aaron Donald (1)
Coach of the 12 months
Mike Vrabel (3)
Kliff Kingsbury (3)
Matt LaFleur (1)
We additionally voted on a number of different awards, together with offensive and defensive rookie of the 12 months. If you wish to see the outcomes of these votes, be sure to click here.
5. Cam Newton returning to Carolina
Practically 20 months after kicking him to the curb, the Carolina Panthers at the moment are crawling again to Cam Newton. The Panthers at the moment have a precarious scenario at quarterback, they usually’re making an attempt to deal with it by including their former signal-caller.
Here is what we all know concerning the scenario:
- Panthers conform to phrases with Newton after assembly with him Thursday. In accordance to The Charlotte Observer, Newton met with Panthers coach Matt Rhule and workforce proprietor David Tepper sooner or later Thursday morning. Apparently, the assembly went nicely as a result of the Panthers introduced at 12:05 p.m. ET that Newton had officially agreed to terms with the team.
- Newton has been a free agent since August. Newton was a free agent as a result of the Patriots surprisingly cut him Aug. 31. On the time, Newton made it clear that he needed to maintain enjoying, however one motive he wasn’t getting many calls is as a result of he wasn’t vaccinated. (An unvaccinated participant has to undergo a five-day ready interval earlier than they’re allowed to go to with a workforce, which most groups don’t love coping with, as a result of in the event that they want a participant, they need that participant of their facility ASAP.)
- Cam spent 9 years in Carolina. Newton was drafted by the Panthers with the No. 1 total choose in 2011 and spent 9 seasons there earlier than being minimize in March 2020. The twist right here is that Rhule was the one who determined to maneuver on. Eliminating Newton was his first massive transfer he made after being employed as coach in January 2020. Since letting Newton go, Rhule has made some unhealthy strikes within the QB division: First, he signed Teddy Bridgewater after which in 2021, he determined it could be a good suggestion to commerce draft picks for Sam Darnold. Rhule is principally 0-for-his-NFL profession on the subject of making good QB selections.
- Why the Panthers wanted Newton proper now. The Panthers have been in want of a quarterback as a result of Sam Darnold was positioned on injured reserve this week. Darnold (shoulder) is probably going going to be out four to six weeks, which implies, even within the best-case state of affairs, he would not be again on the sphere till Week 14 (Dec. 12). The Panthers do have P.J. Walker, however clearly they do not need to put their season within the arms of the previous XFL QB.
One other twist right here is that if Newton finally ends up because the Panthers starter, his first sport may doubtlessly are available in Week 11 in opposition to Washington, which simply so occurs to be coached by Ron Rivera, the identical Ron Rivera who coached Newton for practically 9 years in Carolina.
6. Fast-fire roundup
It has been a busy 24 hours within the NFL, and because it’s practically not possible to maintain monitor of all the things that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Odell Beckham replace. In accordance to NFL.com, Beckham plans to mull over his free company choice for a number of days, which implies we’d not see him signal with anybody right now. As we talked about yesterday, the groups with probably the most curiosity proceed to be the Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks, Patriots and Saints.
- Browns get extension achieved with beginning guard. It has been a busy week for the Browns. Not solely did they signal offensive guard Wyatt Teller to an extension, however in addition they obtained their different beginning guard underneath contract Wednesday after they gave Joel Bitonio a three-year extension worth $48 million.
- Cowboys lose Randy Gregory for a number of weeks. Mike McCarthy introduced Thursday that Gregory will possible be out for the remainder of the month after struggling a calf pressure in apply. In accordance to ESPN.com, Gregory may find yourself on IR, which implies he would not be eligible to play once more till Week 13 (Dec. 2).
- Cowboys additionally add kicker. With Greg Zuerlein on the COVID-19 record, the Cowboys wanted so as to add a kicker in case he cannot play Sunday, in order that’s precisely what they did. That kicker is Lirim Hajrullahu, who hung out on the Cowboys apply squad earlier this 12 months. Nonetheless, he is by no means kicked in an NFL sport.
- Vikings participant hospitalized with COVID problems. The NFL hasn’t needed to cope with a critical case of COVID but this season, however that modified this week with Minnesota’s Dakota Dozier. In accordance to ESPN.com, the offensive lineman was hospitalized as a result of he was having hassle respiration on account of COVID.
- Jets identify Mike White beginning QB for Week 10. Though Zach Wilson appears to be getting more healthy, the Jets aren’t fairly prepared to show again to him. Jets coach Robert Saleh announced Wednesday that White would be the workforce’s beginning quarterback this weekend in opposition to the Payments. White injured his forearm in opposition to the Colts in Week 9. The upstart QB had thrown for 95 yards in lower than one quarter of play earlier than being injured.
- NFL reviewing Dalvin Cook scenario. The Vikings operating can be allowed to play for now although he had a lawsuit filed in opposition to him that contained some critical allegations, “The matter can be reviewed underneath the non-public conduct coverage,” an NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Pro Football Talk. “We are going to proceed to observe developments however there is not any change to his standing as this can be a civil criticism.” For more details on Cook’s legal situation, be sure to click here.
2021 NFL jerseys now out there
The brand new NFL season is right here! Win or lose, you’ll be able to store jerseys, shirts, hats, and rather more to help your favourite workforce. Shop here and show your colors.
We could obtain a fee for purchases made via these hyperlinks.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/cam-newton-reunites-with-panthers-plus-nfl-playoff-projections-entering-week-10-and-ravens-dolphins-picks/ | Cam Newton reunites with Panthers, plus NFL playoff projections coming into Week 10 and Ravens-Dolphins picks