The promoter of the undefeated Australian boxer Tim Tszyu will today ask the WBO to announce his mandatory eligibility for the world championship belt that Brian Castaño holds after. Argentinian’s controversial draw with American Jermell Charlo in Texas on Sunday.
Charlo retained the IBF, WBC and WBA (Super) versions of the super heavyweight title even though the majority of independent observers gave ‘all belts’ excellent scores in favor of Castaño, who surpassed over the Americans through the first 3/4 of the fascinating section before overcoming a big storm in the final rounds.
A judge found Castaño by the narrowest margin – 114-113 – with the second judge scoring the match in a draw 114-114 but it was an unverifiable scoreboard compiled by the Puerto Ricans Experienced Nelson Vazquez. .
Watch Boxing Live & On Demand on Kayo. Selected international matches, classic matches and more. New to Kayo? Try it for free for 14 days now>
In one round Castaño dominated for a long stretch Vazquez yielded only three innings to the Argentinian and nine to Charlo – his 117-111 scorecard showed he was not watching the game, running a Charlo show or confused puppets do not know which martial artist is a martial artist.
The super match was designed to crown the division’s first ‘undisputed’ champion but the split draw resulted in both champions having their respective belts. And while the prospect of a rematch was quickly raised, it is not believed that there is a contract clause that requires one.
Their shared ‘advisor’ Al Haymon will have significant controversies over whether Charlo and Castaño will advance to an immediate rematch but after the match, both are unconvincing.
Charlo told ESPN he would be ready to face Castaño again at some point but added, “I don’t know when.”
The Argentinians doubt it will happen any time soon.
“I think… he will try to avoid (the rematch). He’ll probably come up with something else,” Castaño told ESPN in his dressing room.
“If he doesn’t want to, OK. We move on to the next fight. “
And that next bout could be Tszyu, who is Castaño’s number one contender for the WBO belt and tweeted his challenge after watching the match from his Sydney home.
“Congratulations to Brian Castano. I am ready when you…” he wrote.
At the same time, Tszyu’s promotion team is planning a course towards that belt and plans to get ahead in conversation with WBO President Francisco ‘Paco’ Valcárcel, Esq. today.
“The draw could turn out to be a good result for us – Tszyu could be next. It’s a great fight and you’d be surprised if Charlo wants to jump straight into a rematch – plus he’ll make other sanction agencies sigh on their necks,” said No Limit’s George Rose.
“We’ll be speaking with Paco at WBO today about the prospect of being forced to pick Tszyu for Castaño’s belt, and we’ll do everything we can to get that fight going before the end of the year.”
The belts held by Charlo will carry their own obligations should a rematch not take place next, with the most pressing possibility being an IBF belt claim from the undefeated Russian Bakhram Murtazliev.
Charlo also has the option to leave any of his belts blank, or even drop them all to gain weight and join his brother Jermall in middleweight, while the 31-year-old has also previously hinted. that he could give up boxing. sooner than expected.
Tszyu is the highest ranked competitor with the WBO belt and third with both the IBF and WBC so will be interested in any developments but it is the WBO belt with the most immediate appeal.
“I thought Castaño won but that fight is over now and I know I have the style to beat him. Like I said, I’m ready when he comes and I believe I’ll stop him – he’s tailored for me,” says Tszyu.
“As for Charlo, to be honest, I don’t know if we’ll see him again in the super weight class. The big risk is that he’s going to lose again so maybe he’s better off leaving the tournament.”
More conversations will take place in the coming days between promoters, advisors and sanctioning agencies to decide what will become of all ultralight silverware but imminent concern for Tszyu is the discussion surrounding his next mission, scheduled for September in Australia.
“We approached three former world champions and whoever signs the dotted line first gets hit,” said Rose.
“So now it all depends on Liam Smith, Tony Harrison and Jack Culcay.”