The worst video games are those the place you went into it considering “your” workforce had no shot, after which they make it a sport … solely to disappoint you as the sport goes on. That’s virtually each Bears-Packers sport for the final, what, decade? And though I might take some positives away from yesterday (and will positively beef concerning the officiating), I awoke nonetheless simply actually annoyed about the outcome.
• For the second straight sport, the Atlanta Braves beat the Los Angeles Dodgers with a walk-off hit, although Corey Seager in all probability shoulda had this one:
— MLB (@MLB) October 18, 2021
• The Braves go up 2-0 within the NLCS, which now heads out to Los Angeles for Sport 3 on Tuesday. It was a terrific one final night time general, that includes some stellar baserunning, one other Joc Pederson homer, and the aforementioned walk-off. Full highlights:
• I maintain eager about how the Braves are doing this with out Ronald Acuña Jr., Mike Soroka, and Marcell Ozuna (notably not an damage, and he earned his absence, however it’s nonetheless part of the roster the Braves don’t have). By this time of the 12 months, each workforce is enjoying with out somebody, however that proper there may be in all probability, what, 12 WAR or one thing projected coming into the 12 months? The group simply deserves quite a lot of credit score for making it work, and it reminds you ways a lot high quality depth is important to actually succeed on the high of your division over a full 12 months (to say nothing of the postseason). The Braves have been notably good on that entrance on the pitching aspect, the place they received greater than 91.0 innings from simply 4 pitchers this 12 months, however received high quality contributions of over 10.0 innings from about 20. It additionally reminds how effectively the Braves did with their in-season acquisitions, particularly on the positional aspect.
• Discuss a workforce effort: the Dodgers used 20 of their 26-man roster gamers final night time. The Braves used 21. Once more, high quality depth.
• Towards that backdrop, I’m reminded that for all of the Cubs might do to enhance the large league roster for subsequent 12 months in free company and in trades, it’s REALLY exhausting to give you tons and tons of high quality depth – past your 26-man roster – in a given offseason due to the character of roster guidelines (and, effectively, as a result of not quite a lot of high quality depth needs to signal as “depth”). Plenty of your depth merely has to take the type of optionable minor leaguers in your 40-man, and whereas the Cubs have a superb little bit of that on the aid aspect, it’s virtually wholly absent for the rotation and particularly on the positional aspect. It’s straightforward to say, however man, it might be good if the Cubs might in some way decide up a pair high quality Triple-A bats who’re 40-man-caliber, can play a number of positions, however who’re blocked of their present org.
• In that absence, right here’s hoping the Cubs can as soon as once more discover heaps and plenty of guys in minor league free company/waiver wire who’ve been missed.
• Astros-Purple Sox is tonight at 7pm CT, with Jose Urquidy and Eduardo Rodriguez taking the ball for Sport 3 of the ALCS.
• In case you missed the information final night time, MLB is going to require its organizations to provide housing for minor leaguers beginning subsequent 12 months. The assertion confirming the information, although, features a bizarre “sure minor league gamers” carveout:
— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) October 18, 2021
• I’m attempting to think about which minor leaguers shouldn’t be supplied housing, and I don’t have it. Rookie ballers and DSL guys? Sure, present it. Full-season state-side leagues? After all. Huge league veterans on minor league offers – effectively, in the event that they need to get their very own place, by all means go for it. However you could possibly nonetheless present them the housing possibility, too, in order that it’s there for everybody. So, yeah, undecided why it’s essential to say housing will probably be supplied just for “sure” minor leaguers. I assume we’ll see what really occurs.
• The Padres’ managerial search is underway, and so they additionally need to know what occurred with Mike Shildt and the Cardinals:
The Padres plan to interview Mike Shildt however are nonetheless investigating precisely why he was let go in St. Louis.
There aren’t any plans to interview Ron Washington.
— Kevin Acee (@sdutKevinAcee) October 18, 2021
• Sounds just like the Mets received’t be getting any of their hoped-for-trio of president choices (Theo Epstein, Billy Beane, David Stearns), and as a substitute might wind up simply hiring a brand new GM as a substitute of a President (SNY). If I needed to guess, that might be partly as a result of they actually need a shot at Stearns, and it was revealed that slightly than having only one extra 12 months on his cope with the Brewers, he may very well have another 12 months PLUS a membership possibility for 2023. If that’s true, then the Brewers can be all of the much less more likely to let him interview with the Mets. So perhaps they wait one other 12 months to take a crack at him. I point out as a result of, effectively, I might not hate him getting poached from the Brewers.
• Sony TVs and headphones are among the Epic Every day Offers as we speak at Amazon. #advert
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/18/braves-walk-it-off-again-in-the-nlcs-optionable-depth-housing-for-certain-minor-league-players-and-other-cubs-bullets/ | Braves Stroll It Off Once more within the NLCS, Optionable Depth, Housing for “Sure” Minor League Gamers, and Different Cubs Bullets