Scouted selects products independently. If you buy something from our posts, we may earn a small commission.
Scouting report: This simple little tool has changed my work day so that I can sleep better at night.
Nothing is quite as disappointing as knowing at the end of the day that I’ve been spending too much time on Instagram and maybe halfway through my daily tasks. It’s something I constantly get annoyed about and one of the reasons I have trouble sleeping at night. I had trouble completing tasks as I often thought of my workday as just one long, busy time. This is the mentality that made me fail, spending irregular chunks of time at work only to pick up my phone and lose ~30 minutes on Instagram (hope my boss isn’t reading this!). I found myself in a repeated cycle of incompleteness and lack of attention where it mattered most.
It got to the point where I couldn’t be comfortable with my work and that bleed into my off hours because I felt downright guilty. Some things are unavoidable (e.g. if your cat spits out a hairball during your Zoom meeting or Another parcel delivery), but if you’re not actively making your workplace a distraction-free zone (especially if you’re working from home), you’re wasting valuable time. I decided to change the way I worked and it started with a simple product – a productivity timer.
VOCOO Digital Productivity and Kitchen Timer
Yes, some might just call this a glorified kitchen timer, but I was shocked at how much more I got done each day once I started using it (and put my phone out of reach). This simple little tool has made the workday for me so that I sleep better at night. I can set it to a desired amount of time for focused work, then get a short, timed break. There are many of these timers out there, but I liked this one from Amazon the best because it looks modern enough to belong on my desk and rotates to set the time. For some reason, that’s oddly satisfying.
If you’re thinking about how to better prepare yourself for productivity, then some of these tricks might work for you!
- Plan your day in advance. Write down exactly how long you think the tasks will take and use your new timer!
- Write down the three most important tasks of the day. These are tentpole items that cannot be postponed to the next day (even if they could!)
- Use a productivity plan. I personally like the 52 minutes work/17 minutes break. It’s a strange time, but I think it’s totally changed my workday.
- Use website blockers. You can always undo this, of course, but I find when I have a barrier between me and a website that’s distracting me, it helps keep me busy.
- Listen to productive music. I love Spotify’s Focus playlists!
- Group similar tasks together. So you can get more done much faster!
- Start your day with a simple or difficult task. This required some tweaking for me, but I find I like doing the hard stuff first.
- Work near natural light. You will be surprised how much this affects your sleep too! Avoid placing your desk in dark corners too far from windows.
- Keep your phone out of reach when not in use. (That was the biggest thing for me)
Don’t forget to check on our coupon page to find house deals, including Vouchers for home depots, Ashley furniture coupons, Macy’s couponsand Overstock Coupons.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/best-productivity-timer-for-work-review-2022?source=articles&via=rss Best productivity timer for job evaluation 2022