Miranda, arguably the most groundbreaking post-Sondheim vocalist in US theater, was eager to pay her respects to the legend when the news broke Friday. (The Oscar mentioned in the tweet and email is of course Oscar Hammerstein II, the lyricist who mentored Sondheim in his youth.)
There were even many pious people in Sondheim. In the next few days, critics and VIPs will get their first look at the hotly anticipated remake of West story, the lyrics of which Sondheim wrote contrasted with the music of Leonard Bernstein. (Sondheim was only 27 on the opening night of the musical.) Steven Spielberg, who directed the new version (in collaboration with the writer Tony Kushner), issued a statement to Diversity when Sondheim passed.
“Steve and I only became friends recently, but we’ve become good friends and I was surprised to discover that he knows more about movies than most anyone I’ve ever met.” Spielberg’s statement reads. “As we spoke, I couldn’t wait to listen, amazed by the uniqueness of his perception of art, politics and people – all brilliantly conveyed by his eloquence. his mischievous wit and dazzling words. I will miss him so much, but he left behind a work that taught us, and will continue to teach us, how necessary and necessary love is. ”
Additional tributes to Sondheim include messages from Hugh Jackman, Idina Menzel, Anthony Rappe, David Alan Grier, Robert Duncan McNeill, Uzo Aduba, Lea Salonga, Anna Kendrick, Steven Pasquale, Josh Gad, and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Sondheim the Renaissance Man is also remembered by the tag team of Rian Johnson and Edgar Wright. The Last of Sheila.
Dozens of Sondheim videos flood the internet, including from DA Pennebaker’s superb 1970s documentary Original transmission record: “Company” one of the most enchanting glimpses of nature’s action put on film. A video, a moment of admiration from Stephen Colbert, which sums up the sentiments of theater fans in a unique way.
Better stories from Vanity Fair
– Architect Zaha Hadid’s Rising Dreams in the desert
– Collector or Thief? Inside Queen Mary’s Royal Collection
– Princess Charlene’s Medical Saga Has become more complicated
– 47 Best Early Amazons Black Friday 2021 Deals to Shop Now
– Iman on Life with David Bowie and A Celebration of Her Love in Perfume
– Taylor Swift, “Unsolicited Mess” and Asphyxiation by Girlboss Anachronisms
– Good Newsletter exit strategy It’s hard to find
– Britney Spears celebrates End of conservation responsibility
– 44 items to shop for prepare for Gucci house
– From the Repository: L’Affaire Kardashian
– Registration for “Purchase line“To receive curated fashion, book, and beauty listings in a weekly newsletter.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/11/barbra-streisand-bernadette-peters-steven-spielberg-and-many-more-salute-stephen-sondheim Barbra Streisand, Bernadette Peters, Steven Spielberg, and many others Salute Stephen Sondheim