At least 50 dead found in abandoned truck in San Antonio, Mexican official says

Fifty people have been confirmed dead after a trailer truck was found abandoned on the outskirts of San Antonio with “piles of bodies” inside on Monday, the Mexican government said on Tuesday.

The victims, found after temperatures in the area reached 103 degrees Fahrenheit, included 22 Mexican nationals, seven Guatemalans and two Hondurans, according to Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard, citing information from American authorities.

“The others have yet to be identified,” Ebrard added in a expression shared on Twitter. “We are in mourning. Great tragedy. Mexico joins investigation in US coordinated with DHS.”

Another 16 people – including four children – were taken to four hospitals with apparent heat exhaustion and dehydration after authorities opened the doors of the trailer on Monday.

People being pulled out of the grill trailer felt “hot,” local fire chief Charles Hood said. “We’re not supposed to open a truck and see piles of corpses in it. None of us come to work imagining it,” he said.

He added that while the vehicle was designed for refrigeration, the trailer had no working air conditioning or water inside.

Law enforcement became aware of the tragedy when a city worker heard calls for help from the truck Monday morning. Initial reports suggest 46 bodies were discovered at the site on a remote back road, but the toll now appears to have increased. The case is already one of the worst human smuggling-related tragedies across the Mexico-US border in recent years.

“This is nothing short of a terrible human tragedy,” said San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg, adding that the dead “had families who were probably trying to find a better life.”

San Antonio Police Department chief William McManus said three people had been arrested in connection with the horrifying discovery. He did not say if the driver, who appeared to have abandoned the truck, was among those arrested. The tragedy marked the deadliest migrant deaths in the city’s history, McManus said.

It’s also just the latest nightmare related to attempts to en masse cross the southern border. Last December, more than 50 people died when another trailer full of migrants overturned on a street in southern Mexico. And in April 2021, 10 people died when a van carrying 29 migrants crashed in Texas. This tragedy came just weeks after 13 people lost their lives when an SUV carrying 25 people crashed outside of San Diego.

The most recent case is already cashed in for the political scoring.

“These deaths are Biden’s fault,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted late Monday. “They are the result of his deadly open borders policy. They show the deadly consequences of his refusal to enforce the law.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/at-least-50-found-dead-in-abandoned-truck-in-san-antonio-mexican-official-says?source=articles&via=rss At least 50 dead found in abandoned truck in San Antonio, Mexican official says

Hung

Inter Reviewed is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@interreviewed.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button