Greetings sports activities followers, it is Chris Bengel again with you on this Tuesday. I hope everybody had their common filling of soccer over the weekend and once more on Monday evening.
It actually was the wildest week that we have seen within the NFL up to now this season. How about that subject aim kicking shows we noticed? Within the Cincinnati Bengals-Inexperienced Bay Packers sport there have been 5 consecutive missed subject targets within the final three minutes of regulation and additional time. I’ve actually by no means seen something like that.
Please examine the opt-in field to acknowledge that you just want to subscribe.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep watch over your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Then final evening, Colts kicker Rodrigo Blankenship missed three subject targets, together with one late that might’ve given them an enormous upset win over the Ravens. We’ll get into that Monday evening sport and far, far more proper now.
📰 What it’s essential know
1. Jon Gruden resigns as Raiders head coach in wake of probe into emails 🏈
Jon Gruden is no longer the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders. Gruden knowledgeable his teaching workers that he was resigning from his publish on Monday evening following an investigation into emails during which he used allegedly used insensitive and homophobic language.
Within the emails, the place had been initially found as a part of a separate investigation into the Washington Soccer Workforce, Gruden criticized NFL Gamers Affiliation government director DeMaurice Smith and used racist and offensive language when doing so. Based on a report from The New York Occasions, Gruden additionally used misogynistic and homophobic language in a number of emails.
- “The emails, which span from 2010 till 2018, when the coach signed a 10-year take care of Las Vegas after years as a ‘Monday Night time Soccer’ analyst, embrace Gruden calling (Roger) Goodell a ‘f—–‘ and ‘clueless anti-football p—-,’ criticizing Goodell for allegedly pressuring then-Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft ‘queers,’ and messages (to former Washington Soccer Workforce president Bruce Allen) that featured images of topless Washington Soccer Workforce cheerleaders.”
Simply hours in spite of everything of this data was printed by the New York Occasions on Monday evening, Gruden stepped down from his head teaching job.
- Gruden’s assertion: “I’ve resigned as Head Coach of the Las Vegas Raiders. I like the Raiders and don’t wish to be a distraction. Thanks to all of the gamers, coaches, workers, and followers of Raider Nation. I am sorry, I by no means meant to harm anybody.”
The Raiders had signed Gruden to a 10-year deal when he was employed by the franchise again in 2018. With Gruden out of the image, assistant head coach and particular groups coordinator Wealthy Bisaccia would be the Raiders interim head coach.
Courtesy of CBS Sports activities NFL scribe Cody Benjamin, here are some key dates and a timeline of Gruden’s tenure:
- Jan. 6, 2018 – Gruden employed by Raiders: “Gruden spent 11 years as a head coach between the Raiders (1998-2001) and Buccaneers (2002-08) earlier than nestling into post-coaching life, most famously as a colour commentator on ESPN’s ‘Monday Night time Soccer.’ After 9 years away, he made his return with an expensive welcome from Raiders proprietor Mark Davis, full with a historic 10-year, $100 million contract.”
- Sept. 1, 2018 – Gruden trades Khalil Mack
- March 9, 2019 – Gruden trades for Antonio Brown
- Oct. 8, 2021 – Report of racially-charged e-mail: “4 days after falling to the Chargers in prime time for his or her first lack of the 12 months, the Raiders confronted a brand new dilemma, with the Wall Road Journal reporting that Gruden had used a racial trope to criticize NFLPA government director DeMaurice Smith in a 2011 e-mail, uncovered as a part of a separate office investigation into Washington Soccer Workforce.”
- Oct. 11, 2021 – Gruden resigns: “Three days after the Wall Road Journal report … The New York Occasions reported Gruden’s emails from 2010-2018 contained a sample of homophobic, misogynistic and sexist insults, in addition to footage of topless Washington Soccer Workforce cheerleaders. An hour after the report surfaced, Gruden knowledgeable his workers he would resign, later confirming his step down from the Raiders lower than 4 full seasons into his 10-year deal.”
2. MLB playoff roundup: Crimson Sox stroll off into ALCS ⚾
In the case of the Main League Baseball postseason, anticipating the surprising has all the time been rule to dwell by. In spite of everything, many predicted that the Tampa Bay Rays can be a World Collection contender and make a deep run. As a substitute, the Boston Crimson Sox came away with a 6-5 win over the Rays in Game 4 on Monday and received the American League Division Collection.
Chaos was the storyline all through the vast majority of this sequence. The Crimson Sox took a 5-0 lead in Recreation 4 because of five-run third inning that was highlighted by a three-run house run from Crimson Sox third baseman Rafael Devers. Regardless of having a large lead, the Rays did not give in and had been in a position to tie the sport. Their middle-inning outburst was highlighted by a two-run house run courtesy of star rookie Wander Franco.
However the Crimson Sox had been in a position to placed on a clinic in situational hitting within the ninth inning to earn the win. Right here is how the inning unfolded:
- Christian Vasquez began off the inning with a single to left subject
- Christian Arroyo put down a sacrifice bunt to maneuver Vasquez as much as second base
- Travis Shaw, who pinch hit for Bobby Dalbec, reached on an infield single and Vasquez moved as much as third base
- Kiké Hernandez was in a position to carry house Danny Santana, who was pinch working for Vasquez, for the game-winning run on a sac fly
Within the NL, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants had been battling for the higher hand within the Nationwide League Division Collection. Simply as they’ve many instances this season, the Giants discovered a strategy to get the job achieved in a low-scoring affair. The Giants came away with a 1-0 win with the lone run coming courtesy of a solo house run from third baseman Evan Longoria within the fifth inning.
Giants pitchers had been in a position to restrict the high-powered Dodgers offense to simply 5 hits on the evening. Veteran Alex Wooden tossed 4.2 scoreless innings and solely yielded two hits. The bullpen was in a position to fend off any Dodgers rally as Jake McGee, Camilo Doval, and did not enable a single hit the remainder of the best way.
3. Ravens full epic comeback in opposition to Colts in additional time 🏈
It is not about the way you begin, it is about the way you end. That sentiment by no means rang extra true than in Monday’s battle between the Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens. Regardless of trailing 22-3 late within the third quarter, the Ravens were able to come back and defeat the Colts 31-25 in overtime.
Within the first half and a lot of the third quarter, the Ravens offense simply wasn’t in a position to put factors on the board. Quarterback Lamar Jackson had his justifiable share of struggles and the protection wasn’t placing a ton of strain on Carson Wentz. However it was virtually as if a lightweight bulb got here on late within the third quarter as the Ravens outscored the Colts 28-3 within the last quarter and additional time.
Here is a recap of how the Ravens had been in a position to put factors on the board late to win it:
- With 56 seconds remaining within the third quarter, Jackson linked with Marquise Brown on a 43-yard landing
- With 9:38 left within the fourth quarter, Jackson hit tight finish Mark Andrews on a five-yard landing go then delivered the ball to Andrews as soon as once more for a profitable two-point conversion
- With simply 39 seconds left in regulation, Jackson discovered Andrew but once more for a four-yard landing. Spoiler alert: … he hit Andrews once more for the two-point conversion
- On the very first possession of additional time, Jackson threw a five-yard landing go to Brown to finish the comeback
This was one of many extra wild video games we have seen this season — particularly in primetime. It was downright spectacular to see Jackson lead the Ravens again in that style. It is exhausting to argue that Baltimore has been one of many prime groups within the NFL this season as they’ve gotten off to a 4-1 begin.
For extra evaluation of the motion, check out what our CBS Sports NFL scribes had to say.
4. Welcome again, NHL! 🏒
Tuesday evening will mark the begin of the 2021-22 NHL season. For the hockey group, it is the primary time because the 2018-19 marketing campaign during which the NHL will maintain a standard 82-game season.
The entire motion will get underway when the defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning tackle the Pittsburgh Penguins. As well as, we’ve got the battle of the 2 fashionable enlargement groups when the Vegas Golden Knights will host the Seattle Kraken.
I will be offering a considerable amount of the NHL protection all through the season for CBS Sports activities. With that in thoughts, this looks as if a good time to hit you with my NHL predictions.
- The Lightning are a troublesome workforce to go in opposition to and I see them having one other phenomenal season. Our personal Austin Nivison appears to share that sentiment as he tabbed the Lightning as the top team in our CBS Sports NHL preseason power rankings
- It is a workforce that can have a wholesome Nikita Kucherov, which can be extra essential than any free agent signing that the franchise may’ve made. We noticed how large of a task Kucherov performed as he returned for the playoffs final season. Because the rosters are at present constructed, I will say that the Lightning can be representing the Jap Convention within the Stanley Cup Finals
- Nevertheless, I imagine the Lightning fall in need of changing into simply the sixth workforce in league historical past to hoist Lord Stanley’s Cup for a 3rd consecutive season. I feel that that is lastly the 12 months during which the Vegas Golden Knights get the job achieved
I had the privilege of previewing the 2021-22 NHL season and revealed 10 storylines that you should be monitoring as the season gets underway. Listed below are just a few:
- Will Jack Eichel get moved?: “It looks as if a foregone conclusion that the Sabres can be compelled to maneuver Eichel. At this level, it is seemingly a matter of when and the place Eichel finally ends up being dealt. Buffalo is want of an enormous rebuild after lacking the postseason for the previous 9 seasons. Eichel was purported to be the centerpiece of the rebuild after signing an eight-year, $80 million contract extension previous to the 2017-18 season. Contemplating the damage considerations, the return for Eichel seemingly will not be what it may’ve as soon as been.”
- Inaugural season for the Kraken: “The Seattle Kraken will change into the thirty second NHL team when the 2021-22 season begins. The Kraken are going to be always in comparison with the Vegas Golden Knights, who received 51 video games and superior all the best way to the Stanley Cup Finals of their inaugural season again in 2017. It may be powerful for Seattle replicate that sort of success, however the franchise does have quantity of robust constructing blocks on its roster. Very like the Golden Knights did with Marc-Andre Fleury, the Kraken do have an All-Star-caliber goaltender in Philipp Grubauer. It additionally would not harm that the workforce has a pleasant mixture of veterans that includes the likes of Jordan Eberle, Mark Giordano and Adam Larsson, so a playoff look might not be out of the query.”
5. The most recent on the Ben Simmons-76ers saga 🏀
The Ben Simmons holdout is reaching a decision. No, the Philadelphia 76ers aren’t near buying and selling the All-Star ahead, however Simmons has returned to the team, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Simmons took a COVID-19 take a look at upon arrival, which is required as a part of the league’s protocol. It seems that Philadelphia desires to see Simmons again on the courtroom as quickly as attainable, however it’s unclear if that can come to fruition.
It is exhausting to not collect that Simmons’ sudden resolution to return to Philadelphia has every thing to do along with his pockets. In spite of everything, Simmons was dropping $360,000 for each preseason and common season sport that he would miss because of the holdout.
On the finish of the day, the Sixers nonetheless are looking for a considerable return in trade for Simmons. Daryl Morey goes to do every thing he can to carry a star participant and probably draft picks to Philadelphia for Simmons. Personally, I would be extraordinarily excited to see Portland Path Blazers two-guard CJ McCollum come to the Sixers in a deal. These are two gamers that undoubtedly may use a change of surroundings. McCollum offers the Sixers one other perimeter shooter and one other guard that may create his personal shot.
CBS Sports activities NBA scribe Sam Quinn offered some context on how the Simmons situation has gotten to this point:
- Quinn: “Simmons reportedly instructed teammates to not go to him in Los Angeles earlier within the offseason to attempt to persuade him to rejoin the workforce. The 76ers have been working all through coaching camp to arrange for a season during which they may not have Simmons, so reintroducing him so late within the offseason may make issues troublesome. However with no viable commerce on the commerce on the desk, Simmons’ choices had been to take a seat out and sacrifice his paycheck or to return to the workforce and hope a commerce can materialize in a while. It appears as if he’s selecting the latter.”
📝 Odds & Ends
📺 What to look at tonight
⚾ Astros vs. White Sox, 2:07 p.m. | CWS -115 | TV: FS1
⚾ Brewers vs. Braves, 5:07 p.m. | TV: TBS
⚾ Giants vs. Dodgers, 9:07 p.m. | TV: TBS
🏅 Smartest thing I noticed on the web
On Monday, one of many largest errors on the diamond really passed off within the stands. Throughout Recreation 3 of the Nationwide League Division Collection, Milwaukee Brewers third baseman Luis Urias hit a pop-up into the stands and former Braves third baseman Chipper Jones — who was attending the sport as a fan — thought he had a beat on the ball. Nevertheless, Jones completely missed catching the ball. Clearly, Jones’ fielding acumen is not what it was.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/information/a-timeline-of-jon-grudens-tenure-as-raiders-coach-plus-lamar-jackson-leads-ravens-to-epic-comeback/ | A timeline of Jon Gruden’s tenure as Raiders coach, plus Lamar Jackson leads Ravens to epic comeback