It was a good year for breakup music. Olivia Rodrigo“Driver’s License” of above Sour. Kacey Musgraves‘NS Cross asterisk. AdeleAdeling by postdivorce. Even Taylor Swift replay of her delicate farewell tune “All Too Well,” now 10 minutes long. Not to be Spotify Wrapped, but wow! All of these have arrived this year!
And right down the line, this is Grimes with a breakup song that could be about an ex and the father of her child, Elon Musk. She just dropped “Gameplayer”.
There is a line that reads, “Sail away from the cold air / Even love can’t keep you where you are.” Unfortunately, due to money, when one thinks of “space”, one has to think of Elon Musk of SpaceX or Jeff Bezos of Blue Origin, and only occasionally Richard Branson by Virgin Galactic. Musk is the sole father of Grimes’ son, X A-12, and then break up with her, this song is probably about him. She also sings, “I love the greatest gamer / But he will always love the game more than he loves me.”
Musk is a famous gamer, but the more probable reference is game player, a 1988 book from Iain M. Banks’s Culture series in which intergalactic citizens live in post-scarcity utopia conditions in space. that is beloved by some billionaires, and Musk is credited with liking it. One of SpaceX’s drones is named “Just Read the Instructions,” while another is called “Of course I still love you,” which are also two AI-powered ships. control appeared in the book.
Anyway, hopefully recording the song is a catalyst exercise for Grimes. There are no words about what all this means for her “Lesbian Space Society” on Jupiter.
Better stories from Vanity Fair
– Architect Zaha Hadid’s Rising Dreams in the desert
– Collector or Thief? Inside Queen Mary’s Royal Collection
– Princess Charlene’s Medical Saga Has become more complicated
– 12 essentials Fitness equipment is selected from the trainers on request, Dancers and more
– Iman on Life with David Bowie and A Celebration of Her Love in Perfume
– Taylor Swift, “Unsolicited Mess” and Asphyxiation by Girlboss Anachronisms
– Good Newsletter exit strategy It’s hard to find
– Britney Spears celebrates End of conservation responsibility
– Books to read this month And pre-order gifts to buy
– From the Repository: L’Affaire Kardashian
– Registration for “Purchase line“To receive curated fashion, book and beauty listings in a weekly newsletter.
Source link A Billionaire’s Favorite Book About the Space Cosmic Society Probably Inspired Grimes’ New Farewell Song