What affect does the Palme d’Or actually have on a movie’s awards probabilities?
Within the 73 years of Cannes, there have solely been three winners of the Palme d’Or and the Oscar for greatest image – “The Misplaced Weekend” (1945), “Marty” (1955) and “Parasite” (2019), the latter two had been unanimous wins among the many jury.
With “Titane,” Julia Ducournau grew to become simply the second feminine director to win the celebrated prize, and the primary girl to attain a solo win, as Jane Campion’s “The Piano” tied with Chen Kaige’s “Farewell My Concubine” in 1993.
It’s unsure that the movie, which will likely be distributed by Neon, will be capable to muster a lot Academy help on this dense and cinematically populated upcoming season.
Other than “Parasite,” within the final 20 years, solely three different Palme winners have gone on to Academy notoriety – “The Pianist” (2002), “The Tree of Life” (2011) and “Amour” (2012). The reality is for each “Blue is the Warmest Color” (2013) quotation, there’s a extra accessible “Nebraska” among the many lineup or nevertheless completely satisfied seeing “Dheepan” (2015) win the highest prize makes you, critics and voters are extra captivated with “Carol.”
With the competition occurring later than regular —, and changing into an awards launching pad in the course of the summer season — you may count on movies like “Annette,” which gained the directing prize for Leos Carax, to generate a word-of-mouth dialog, both good or dangerous.
Regardless of being an eclectic soul within the awards realm, most individuals make time to offer consideration for a brand new Wes Anderson movie, and good reviews for “The French Dispatch” may make it the following “The Grand Budapest Lodge” or fall consistent with “The Darjeeling Restricted.”
Sean Baker’s “Purple Rocket” appeared to generate a buzz just like the debut of “The Wrestler,” when individuals eagerly awaited the comeback of eventual greatest actor nominee Mickey Rourke. Related accolades may come for Simon Rex, who appeared in a pornographic movie within the ’90s.
Successful for Grand Prix began issues off sturdy for Asghar Farhadi and his new movie “A Hero,” which may discover him in the very best director dialogue if Amazon Studios get sufficient eyes on it.
With Telluride and Venice gearing up in September, we don’t understand how lengthy the Cannes fever will final. By subsequent March, it may simply be a light reminiscence, that includes Spike Lee asserting the massive winner first.
Movies that screened at Cannes and awards classes that they might contend throughout awards season (not essentially frontrunning):
- “Annette” (Amazon Studios) – image, directing (Leos Carax), actor (Adam Driver), supporting actor (Simon Helberg), authentic screenplay, cinematography, sound, authentic track
- “Bergman Island” (IFC Movies) – actress (Vicky Krieps)
- “Blue Bayou” (Focus Options) – image, directing (Justin Chon), actor (Chon), actress or supporting actress (Alicia Vikander), authentic screenplay, cinematography
- “Compartment No. 6” (Neon) – worldwide function (if chosen by nation)
- “Cow” (no U.S. distribution but) – documentary function
- “The French Dispatch” (Searchlight Footage) – image, directing (Wes Anderson), authentic screenplay, manufacturing design, cinematography, costume design, movie enhancing, make-up and hairstyling, authentic rating
- “A Hero” (Amazon Studios) – image, directing (Asghar Farhadi), authentic screenplay, worldwide function (if chosen by nation)
- “Mothering Sunday” (Sony Footage Classics) – image, directing (Eva Husson), actress (Odessa Younger), actor (Josh O’Connor), supporting actress (Olivia Colman), tailored screenplay, cinematography, movie enhancing, authentic rating
- “Nitram” (no U.S. distribution but) – actor (Caleb Landry Jones)
- “Purple Rocket” (A24) – image, directing (Sean Baker), actor (Simon Rex), authentic screenplay
- “Stillwater” (Focus Options) – actor (Matt Damon)
- “Titane” (Neon) – image, directing (Julia Ducournau), authentic screenplay
- “Val” (Amazon Studios) – documentary function
- “The Velvet Underground” (Apple TV Plus) – documentary function
- “The Worst Individual within the World” (Neon) – authentic screenplay, worldwide function (if chosen by nation)
2022 Academy Awards Predictions
https://selection.com/2021/awards/awards/cannes-oscars-contenders-titane-annette-a-hero-1235024113/ | 2021 Cannes Movie Competition Oscars Contenders: Titane, Annette, A Hero