Chicago (CBS) – A 17-year-old man accused of killing a 73-year-old Vietnamese veteran who was killed while stealing a car in Hyde Park has been acquitted in Satrudai court.
According to the UCPD, witnesses told police that two thieves wanted to take Cooper’s car and punched him in the head. Cooker was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police and the medical examination office said.
It’s been three days since Cooper lost his life in the parking lot of Kimbark Plaza Street Center on 53 Hyde Park Street.
Prosecutors said Harris and the 17-year-old stole his keys, punched and pushed Cooper in an attempt to rob a car that the Vietnam veteran had not rescued. He soon died at the University of Chicago Medical Center.
It was a horrible crime of the day shook the whole society.
“I’m not surprised,” Cooper’s daughter Keinica Carlton said. “My father was such a boy. He touched everyone. She made an impact. ”
Carlton said that when his father was busy shopping at a mall in Hyde Park Productions were attacked.
On Friday, we told you that Harris was on probation just two months ago with a harsh sentence in car custody. Now we learn that his 17-year-old son was also arrested earlier.
He was released last year on an electronic monitoring for a car theft case. He did not appear in court and the warrant was issued in December.
And his record goes back even further.
When he was just 12 years old, he was charged with illegal possession of a gun. That same year, he was charged with theft.
When he was 14, he was accused of running away and fleeing from police. We learned that he was on probation for this case.
He was also charged with driving a stolen car in 2020, and now, he faces mass murder and heavy batteries for the death of a Vietnam veteran.
This is the first time a teenager has been charged in adulthood.
We studied the teenager in the Department of Children and Family Services system in Illinois. She had previously attended Morgan Park High School – but is no longer in school.
“It affects us all because we all need to feel responsible for it,” said Marquin McDonald of the Chicago Guard. “We all need to be in touch with these kids.”
This situation is a blow to McDonald and his group. They had been guarding a gas station on the south side of town for 26 consecutive weeks, hoping to stop the car thieves.
McDonald and his team said they were shocked by the growing number of juvenile suspects charged with these crimes – to the point that they started a youth coaching program for 16- to 24-year-olds.
Hopefully they can communicate with the children before making another life mistake.
“It’s a comprehensive situation on the deck for these kids,” McDonald said.
The judge in the case said he rejected the 17-year-old’s bond because he had reasonable concerns that he might not appear in court. She has been AWOL for the past seven months.
His next court date is Aug. 4.